Wiki Posts
Search

Told Off By Cabin Crew

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Told Off By Cabin Crew

So I was on a flight yesterday, in a bulkhead seat in WT+, and the safety video was on. I was reading my paper and having seen it so many times before I was only half watching it. Ok, maybe quarter watching it.

Anyway, at the end of the video, a cabin crew member came to put my video screen away (its the fold down into/under the chair type). As she did so, she half-looked at me and said:

"I'll be testing you later"

I forced a laugh at her poor attempt at humour.

"I wasn't joking" she fizzed, and stormed off.

I was rather taken aback, and having a thick skin, it didn't really bother me, but something at the back of my mind thinks it should have. It just seemed a bit inappropriate.

Did she have a right to speak that way to me? Would others have been offended?

(I know this is probably a naive plea, but please don't turn this thread into another one of those "Is is wrong not to look at the safety video?" ones.

I know the content of the safety video. I could probably recite it word for word. Yes, I know, there are many different types of planes and different configurations and that this one may be different.

But its not. Its the same one I flew on 4 weeks ago and many times before that. I know where the exits are. I know where the oxygen masks will come from. I know how to put the emergency jacket on, and where the light and blowy-bit are. I know the brace position. I know when I can and cannot use different pieces of equipment and what a flight mode is. I'm not endangering anyone, including myself, by not watching it).
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
But you need to be setting an example as a FF. There could be newbies near you who see that you ignore the video and think "Ah so it is not important - no need to watch!" They will be the ones who, in an emergency, will go into panic mode and trip you up so you don't make the slides! Your call!

IMHO the CC was right to tear you a new *rse h*le.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by OPebble
But you need to be setting an example as a FF.
Nail and head ^
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

She should have got you out of your seat and gave you a damn good thrashing.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She dosent know that you flew last week or last year.

Maybe she was trying to say in a humours way that failed.

But I agree set a good example and everyone will be fine. It doesnt last that long. Apart from read your paper there isnt much you can do during that time. The airlines have a bit of a captive audience.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:06 am

The short answer is No, the crew member shouldn't have spoken to you like that.

The only way something like that is somewhat acceptable is if said with a cheeky grin and a laugh - IF you've already had some kind of interaction (to establish a rapport and whether the customer is open to a bit of banter.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
She should have got you out of your seat and gave you a damn good thrashing.
It wasnt your lady friend.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
- you should pay attention to the video
- even if you fly once a month in WT+ there's still plenty of configs to catch you unawares, especially if the cabin is dark, on its side, filled with smoke and the sound of people screaming (772, 773, Hi-J, Low-J etc. etc.)
- the cabin crew could've been a little bit more diplomatic - maybe making the point that it's only 3 minutes of your time that could save your life.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But you need to be setting an example as a FF. There could be newbies near you who see that you ignore the video and think "Ah so it is not important - no need to watch!" They will be the ones who, in an emergency, will go into panic mode and trip you up so you don't make the slides! Your call!
I dont care about tripping him up. Its me I am worried about..
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Did she have a right to speak that way to me? Would others have been offended?

(I know this is probably a naive plea, but please don't turn this thread into another one of those "Is is wrong not to look at the safety video?" ones.

I know the content of the safety video. I could probably recite it word for word. Yes, I know, there are many different types of planes and different configurations and that this one may be different.

But its not. Its the same one I flew on 4 weeks ago and many times before that. I know where the exits are. I know where the oxygen masks will come from. I know how to put the emergency jacket on, and where the light and blowy-bit are. I know the brace position. I know when I can and cannot use different pieces of equipment and what a flight mode is. I'm not endangering anyone, including myself, by not watching it).
Yes the crew member had every right to address you for not watching the safety video. I might have been offended, but in all honesty it would be because she's caught me out being ignorant to safety on board, rather than anything she'd done (though perhaps a little smile might have been appropriate when she said what she did).

How does that crew member know you fly hundreds of times and know every aircraft better than they do? How do they know you're familiar with all the procedures?

Like you I also know the safety video word for word, the brace position, oxygen masks, etc, etc. But I ALWAYS watch the video/demonstration because it IS important (very important) and who knows what you'd remember if the worse case scenario happened. The crew are doing it for everyone's benefit so to ignore them is, IMO, rude.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To call you on it is perfectly acceptable. Sadly she didn't quite get the tone right.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Just watch the damned thing.
It's about a minute and a half out of your life.

You can make some fun out of it:
    Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:11 am
    Original Poster

But you need to be setting an example as a FF.
    I forgot to superglue my BAEC card to my forehead so its doubtful people would have noticed that I was a FF.

There could be newbies near you who see that you ignore the video and think "Ah so it is not important - no need to watch!" They will be the ones who, in an emergency, will go into panic mode and trip you up so you don't make the slides! Your call!
    Oh come on. Really? People on flights are now looking for role models in other passengers?

So you're saying that their thought process would go something like this:

Newbie: Wow, a big shiny plane. I'm scared. What, for the love of God, do I do?

CC Announcement: Please watch the safety video

Newbie: Oh good, voices in my head telling me what to do. I'll watch the safety video.

(a few seconds later)

Newbie: Oh no, there's one or two people who aren't paying attention to the video. They must be frequent fliers so I'll copy them, instead of watching that video the crew have told me is important.

Are you really suggesting there are people like that on board?

IMHO the CC was right to tear you a new *rse h*le.
    Not quite how I described it
    Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:12 am
    Original Poster

What have I started?
    Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:13 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paralytic
    Oh come on. Really? People on flights are now looking for role models in other passengers?

So you're saying that their thought process would go something like this:

Newbie: Wow, a big shiny plane. I'm scared. What, for the love of God, do I do?

CC Announcement: Please watch the safety video

Newbie: Oh good, voices in my head telling me what to do. I'll watch the safety video.

(a few seconds later)

Newbie: Oh no, there's one or two people who aren't paying attention to the video. They must be frequent fliers so I'll copy them, instead of watching that video the crew have told me is important.

Are you really suggesting there are people like that on board?
    YES. They have also had a couple of glasses of wine. So I am sure there are people like that onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.