Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What are your feelings about off duty CC being upgraded to Club whilst you remain in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your feelings about off duty CC being upgraded to Club whilst you remain in

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Red face Great post!

Originally Posted by G-BUSI
When I pay for a seat on an aeroplane I have the choice to spend as much or as little as I like to sit in the cabin of my choice, be that Y, J or any letter in between.
When I choose my cabin that's where I expect to sit, it is what I have paid for. What is going on around me, and who is being shuffled into whatever seat is of no concern to me unless the plane is diving earthwards at around 10,000 feet a minute and it's time to meet my maker!
People have this thing about upgrades, for God's sake if you want to sit in J pay for it. Otherwise it is no business of anybody what is going on and if the upgrade finger of fortune should happen to land on your shoulder then accept it, enjoy it, don't flaunt it and most importantly if you are left back in 55E on that 12 hour flight, just remember that is what you paid for.
I just adore passengers like you, God bless you! My son daughter their partners and all the in laws and their siblings -- and my mistress - bless you too!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I have no problem with BA rewarding it employees in this way and see it as their business if they want to take that approach. Similarly, while it does irritate, I think BA are entitled to prioritise discretionary op-ups in any way they like. If they moved to the common US carrier approach of allocating available premium seats to high status passengers as a benefit, then I would feel very differently about it all.

Where I do have a problem is where employees' perks override what a passenger is actually entitled to. Seeing what are obviously staff sitting in exit row seats which haven't been available to status passengers is particularly annoying for me.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:04 am

When I pay for a seat on an aeroplane I have the choice to spend as much or as little as I like to sit in the cabin of my choice, be that Y, J or any letter in between.
When I choose my cabin that's where I expect to sit, it is what I have paid for. What is going on around me, and who is being shuffled into whatever seat is of no concern to me unless the plane is diving earthwards at around 10,000 feet a minute and it's time to meet my maker!
People have this thing about upgrades, for God's sake if you want to sit in J pay for it. Otherwise it is no business of anybody what is going on, whether that be Mr and Mrs Double-Barrelled Surname or a crew member being upgraded. If the upgrade finger of fortune should happen to land on your shoulder then accept it, enjoy it, don't flaunt it and most importantly if you are left back in 55E on that 12 hour flight, just remember that is what you paid for.
Spot on ^
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ediYank
Your thoughts, comments ?
Could not care less where anyone is taken and which cabin they end up. I am sure OpUps (or in this case "friendly" Ups) happen on most flights and we don't witness 99% of them. Why obsess?

I always think I'll fly in the ticketed cabin and any upgrade is a pleasant suprise. I never think I am more worthy of an upgrade than other people.

All of my OpUps happened on the LHR-JFK-LHR flights which, from what I gather from BA staff members on FT, are full of Golds and Silvers. And on at least 4 occasions BA thought that I and my bf were more worthy of an upgrade than other card holders... And I am grateful for that.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by rathin100
I just adore passengers like you, God bless you! My son daughter their partners and all the in laws and their siblings -- and my mistress - bless you too!

Of course everyone is sitting in Y..... Except the mistress
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:19 am
G*G

People have this thing about upgrades, for God's sake if you want to sit in J pay for it. Otherwise it is no business of anybody what is going on, whether that be Mr and Mrs Double-Barrelled Surname or a crew member being upgraded. If the upgrade finger of fortune should happen to land on your shoulder then accept it, enjoy it, don't flaunt it and most importantly if you are left back in 55E on that 12 hour flight, just remember that is what you paid for.
Very well put, G-BUSI! ^

This is such a non-issue thread, why on earth would it be anybodys business where an airline employee or anyone else is seated - as long as you are receiving the product you have paid for?? Sure, we all enjoy a 'freebie' but how anybody can feel entitled to receive a product better than they have paid for is beyond me. I never order a Big Mac and expect to receive a filet mignon - why would it be any different with an airline?

Such perks surely lead to more motivated staff, and a better product for us consumers. I think it is a given that airline staff should travel premium whilst on duty - and off-duty staff should have space available (e.g. nobody else chose to pay for it) premium travel perks.

Agree that the 'friends and family' industry that is a bigger deal for example at KLM can be irritating as it is often exercised very poorly - but again, as long as you receive what you've paid for, I really don't see the issue...
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:20 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Of course everyone is sitting in Y..... Except the mistress
Beautiful! ^^^^^
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
rathin100..... you ncluded in Y, since on your trip there was one and only one place in F, and you as a gallant gentleman ( not wanting to be deprived that night or any night for that matter) gave the seat to your wonderful mistress and sat the wifey next to the toilets
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
In answer to the OP...

...am I bovvered?

Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:27 am

rathin100..... you ncluded in Y, since on your trip there was one and only one place in F, and you as a gallant gentleman ( not wanting to be deprived that night or any night for that matter) gave the seat to your wonderful mistress and sat the wifey next to the toilets
No, no the Asian tradition is that the wife gets F and the mistress gets my lap, and the toilets is fine considering the Incredible Mile-High Club opportunity!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But what do you do during take off and landing? No pun intended

And my apologies, didn't know you were Asian. Thought brit living ins Brazil.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:37 am

But what do you do during take off and landing? No pun intended

And my apologies, didn't know you were Asian. Thought brit living ins Brazil.
No apologies needed... Im Indian but lived in Britain for 11 years (Uni and work) guess you can say I grew up in there satill keep a small flat in London... My first international flight was on a BA Tristar which dates me...

During takeoff and landing I sit in F and wife comes back...excuse... I need the preflight champagne and a quick one before landing (and I do, I do considering what could happen in between..)... quite reasonable, no And since (I think) wife does not know mistress and mistress has (yet) no incentive to spill beans things should be fine!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by ediYank
could you not say the same for most of the paying pax on board ?
One important difference is that other pax on board may well be disincentivized to pay for premium tickets if BA go around giving them op-ups particularly if they are frequent and predictable, e.g., due to status. On the other hand msot cabin crew frankly can't afford to splash out on F and J paid tickets so that's not an issue. Of course that last points applies to some of the other passengers, but BA doesn't know which ones. Waterhorse explained all that very eloquently.

And while it's true that a good company looks after its customers, it also looks after its employees. I suspect BA gains a lot more value in employee loyalty from this practice than it would gain from upgrading Golds, provided it is done consistently and not on the basis of whether the CSD likes you or not.

And it is important that it's done discreetly. Some passengers are happy to travel in WT but many find it uncomfortable and stressful. If someone from the latter group sees a compact cabin crew member being moved at the last minute when they, a paying passenger and quite possibly a loyal one to boot, needs the space more, it can be very irksome. And cabin crew travelling in J and especially F (I don't know how much that latter happens) really shouldn't advertise the fact. If a couple have shelled out £10,000 on the trip of a lifetime, they may feel significantly less special if they know they're surrounded by BA employees who they will assume (rightly or wrongly) have not paid for their seats - it's just good PR to keep quiet about it. One friend of mine was rather horrified when, seated in the F cabin on a UA TATL, he realized most of the other pax where United Airlines pensioners.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Surely BA should just get rid of all premium cabins and this problem goes away?

No?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rathin100
No apologies needed... Im Indian but lived in Britain for 11 years (Uni and work) guess you can say I grew up in there satill keep a small flat in London... My first international flight was on a BA Tristar which dates me...

During takeoff and landing I sit in F and wife comes back...excuse... I need the preflight champagne and a quick one before landing (and I do, I do considering what could happen in between..)... quite reasonable, no And since (I think) wife does not know mistress and mistress has (yet) no incentive to spill beans things should be fine!
My what webs we wave.... The whole gang in one flight???? very brave of you, very.

Keep us updated when the mistress spills the beans, we love a good story here. And if you need miles to buy a ticket to go into hiding then let us know..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.