Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nervous flyer - please be gentle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BonBonnie
I tend to drink gallon loads of chamomile tea to attempt to relax
I find that Gin and Slim works wonders too - after a few I couldn't care less!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
I've always flown 747s before - call me stupid but there's something about 4 engines that I find comforting.
It's not stupid at all. I feel the same way, particularly when crossing an ocean, especially the Pacific.

It's too bad the 747 is falling out of favor with a lot of airlines; I think it's probably the best plane ever built. The 777 may be a stable workhorse, and the A380 may be fuel-efficient, but they're just plain dull.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC - Blue :-(
I am so very glad that it is not just me who touches the outside of the plane on boarding! The person I usually travel with thinks it is a very funny habit but it makes me feel a lot less nervous.

I am flying long haul to the US on my own for the first time in late September and I am quite nervous about it already. Normally I have a colleague or my partner with me to distract me but this time it will just be me and the nervous voice in my head! I think I may well follow others advice and let the cc know.

I definitely empathise with the op though and hope you have a safe and calm flight.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tinytraveller
I am flying long haul to the US on my own for the first time in late September and I am quite nervous about it already. Normally I have a colleague or my partner with me to distract me but this time it will just be me and the nervous voice in my head! I think I may well follow others advice and let the cc know.

I definitely empathise with the op though and hope you have a safe and calm flight.
Which airline are you flying with?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:33 am

Since the issue can be lack of control, if it is helpful, recognize that you can release the responsibility to the pilots who will take it very seriously.

They are trained and tested and also use the technical tools in the air and on the ground in their leadership on that plane. You can lean back in your seat and trust their work.

On the plane, note that parents bring their children and crews ride every day relinquishing control to your pilots who are in charge.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by origin
Which airline are you flying with?
Sorry, should have been more specific. Flying BA LHR-PHL returning JFK-LHR. Unfortunately am in WT as work will only pay for economy- is there any point me telling the cc or will they have so many other other pax to take care of that I will just be making a nuisance of myself?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:41 am
Suspended

You Will Be Fine

Bit stupid really, once I'm on the plane I'm actually fine (i.e. I don't panic, I just sit there and keep myself to myself), it's the lead up that I get really anxious about.

This is my first trip to MCO (CW) on a 777, I've always flown 747s before - call me stupid but there's something about 4 engines that I find comforting.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd be grateful for some reassurance on the 777 - it hasn't helped my flight time appears to have increased according to the BA website, any ideas?

Many thanks
You will be fine on the tripple-seven. I don't care for 74s; I schedule 777s when I can. Safe travels.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Sorry, should have been more specific. Flying BA LHR-PHL returning JFK-LHR. Unfortunately am in WT as work will only pay for economy- is there any point me telling the cc or will they have so many other other pax to take care of that I will just be making a nuisance of myself?
Of course let the crew know, they'll be happy to reassure you. Don't ever think you're being a nuisance over something like this.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
I used to be a nervous flyer, so nervous in fact that I refused to fly for 20 years!
I did get over it but even though I was about as "cured" as it was possible to be, it did take a few flights before I was completely relaxed on a flight, so the more "practice" you get the better you feel. the 777 is fine as an aircraft, it was the first long haul I took 3 weeks after I was "cured" and everything was fine.
I have had a variety of "habits" before flying, the first was smoking, then that was banned so I went on to drinking alcohol, until I realised that I hadnt actually taken off without a drink in about 10 flights so I knocked that on the head, now I just people watch
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
LHR-PHL is my regular route so any questions just PM me. I travel on my own more times than not
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Of course let the crew know, they'll be happy to reassure you. Don't ever think you're being a nuisance over something like this.
Thank you SRG I will definitely do so in that case.

I'm normally fine once we are up in the air, it's just take off that scares me now. I am a lot better than I used to be though. The first time I flew with Mr TT he ended up with welts on his hand from my nails digging in and that was only a flight to CDG.

I like the idea of telling the cc though, just so someone knows I'm nervous and I don't feel like I'm on my own.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, you certainly aren't alone in being a nervous flyer though BonBonnie. Hope you have a good flight.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by pinkcat
LHR-PHL is my regular route so any questions just PM me. I travel on my own more times than not
Thanks pinkcat, I may well do that closer to the time as I am bound to have questions.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks pinkcat, I may well do that closer to the time as I am bound to have questions.
The others have helped or mentioned what I would have said.

Have a nice flight.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Let me tell you as a Senior Skyhag
My goodness Pucci, what an awful thing to call yourself! I request an immediate correction to Senior Skygoddess!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Let me tell you as a Senior Skyhag
Completely misread that last word.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.