FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   nervous flyer - please be gentle (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1247644-nervous-flyer-please-gentle.html)

BonBonnie Aug 14, 2011 4:03 am

nervous flyer - please be gentle

Bit stupid really, once I'm on the plane I'm actually fine (i.e. I don't panic, I just sit there and keep myself to myself), it's the lead up that I get really anxious about.

This is my first trip to MCO (CW) on a 777, I've always flown 747s before - call me stupid but there's something about 4 engines that I find comforting.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd be grateful for some reassurance on the 777 - it hasn't helped my flight time appears to have increased according to the BA website, any ideas?

Many thanks

The _Banking_Scot Aug 14, 2011 4:12 am

Hi,

The 777 is an excellent aircraft with an excellent safety record ( if you can book a seat choose one as far forward as you can to reduce the engine noise in the cabin as being beside the engines ( row 10-11 on the 3 class 777 will be slightly noisier)

The 777 travels slightly slower than the 747 so that might explain the longer journey time although MCO has always been operated by a 777. BA might have increased the " padding " in the schedule to allow for any delays ( and i think might take slightly longer in winter due to stronger head winds)

Enjoy CW on the 777.

Regards

TBS

BizFlyin Aug 14, 2011 4:13 am

The 777 has never had an in-flight fatality in 15 years of service. Don't worry, it's not as pretty, but it's a great plane. I remember my first flight on a 777 - I was impressed with how powerful and smooth it was. You won't miss the two engines! In fact, one GE90 engine is powerful enough to fly an entire Boeing 747 (During cruise, according to wikipedia anyway...)

hgifford Aug 14, 2011 4:13 am

They are much newer, more reliable and efficient planes for one thing. There has only been one 777 hull loss, and no fatalities on board ANY 777 flight, despite it being a very popular plane. It is comfortable, wide and safe. You really have nothing to worry about. Did you know the 777's engines are the same diameter as a 737's fuselage?!

BonBonnie Aug 14, 2011 4:15 am

Thank you so much everyone, as a 'leisure' flyer it's a case of having to fly to get to where I want to go lol but each year it gets harder.

NeverFirst Aug 14, 2011 4:23 am

In all seriousness, why not visit your GP. If this is an occasional leisure flight s/he may give you a few valium/diazepam to help you over the nervousness.

When I say a few, I mean probably 10-20, so not enough to get addicted if you're worried about that.

And as the others say, the 777 is very safe (but you know that really!)

Apeman Aug 14, 2011 4:29 am

Originally Posted by BonBonnie (Post 16920573)
Thank you so much everyone, as a 'leisure' flyer it's a case of having to fly to get to where I want to go lol but each year it gets harder.

I'm also a nervous flyer, but due to claustrophobia, not safety worries. It got so bad that a couple of years ago I felt a panic attack coming on as I was about to enter a flight to Dubai, and had to rush back to the gate and cancel the trip.
However, you can undertake cognitive behavioral therapy (available on the NHS) which has an excellent success rate for this kind of problem. I started sessions a few weeks ago and am already feeling more relaxed about the situation. Hopefully I'll be back to normal soon!
So don't live with it, there is hope!

origin Aug 14, 2011 4:30 am

My mum gets very nervous. When you are flying its one of the few times that someone is not in control. Just sit back and relax.

We havent flown as a family for a few years. Only this past year she let out a secret.

When we use to travel she would always take a bottle of water with her. In the old drinks bottles. We use to complain there is no need. But in order to get to the airport etc we use to let it go.

Its use to be Baileys or something like that which she would drink in the lounge waiting before the flight. :eek:

I never knew, you never ask whats in a womens hand bag.

There are a number of people who can help nervous flyers. Remember the cabin crew do it every day. They wouldnt if it wasnt safe. I agree with others talk to your GP or chemist.

sunrisegirl Aug 14, 2011 4:39 am

Bon Bonnie - please let the crew know you're nervous when they board, they're very used to dealing with customers who are and will do everything they can to put your mind at rest.

I prefer the 747 simply because I like to sit upstairs, but have travelled on the 777 several times and never felt anything but safe and secure.

The advice to see your doctor is a good one. Also if you have time before you travel many airlines, including BA, offer a course (or day session) for nervous flyers. It's run by Avia Tours and you can find the details here

When are you travelling? Your flight time has probably not increased, but could be due to the time change either here or in the US (October and March-ish time).

If I'm working the day you travel I'd be happy to reassure you. PM your details and I'll let you know.

Please try not to worry, you're in very safe hands. So sit back, relax and think of how much fun you're going to have with Mickey Mouse and gang! :)

system error Aug 14, 2011 4:43 am

I admit I'm somewhat of a nervous flyer too (like you, I never let it show) and it goes in phases. I'm happy to say that I'm in the lowest phase I've been in ever but that aside the 777 is a great plane and I agree with all the praise the others have already given her. ^

On a personal note, and I know the others will beat me over the head for this, I make sure to touch the outside of every plane I board. Just my little way of letting the girl know I'm onboard and that I appreciate all the cool technical stuff that makes flying so great. I also give her a little pat after every touchdown. It's a superstition and is actually counter productive to my nervous tendencies but after ten years of flying, it's not going away. :D

Enjoy the flight!

Yahillwe Aug 14, 2011 4:47 am

Originally Posted by system error (Post 16920632)

On a personal note, and I know the others will beat me over the head for this, I make sure to touch the outside of every plane I board. Just my little way of letter the girl know I'm onboard and that I appreciate all the cool technical stuff that makes flying so great. I also give her a little pat after every touchdown. It's a superstition and is actually counter productive to my nervous tendencies but after ten years of flying, it's not going away. :D

Enjoy the flight!

It is always a female that gives comfort...:D :p

PUCCI GALORE Aug 14, 2011 4:51 am

BonBonnie - Well done you! I have long advocated how many people are nervous about flying. Sometimes it is totally irrational and people simply cannot help themselves. I am so proud of you admitting this - let any one ridicule this and they will answer to me and my hairbrush.

Let me tell you as a Senior Skyhag - I have known moments of pure terror as a passenger! One of these was an overshoot going into GVA when all we could see out of the swirling mists were mountains. You are not alone.

The 777 is as safe as houses and better still BA flight deck are some of the best in the business. Do tell the crew - they will completely understand. Enjoy!

clacko Aug 14, 2011 4:54 am

Originally Posted by BonBonnie (Post 16920541)
Bit stupid really, once I'm on the plane I'm actually fine (i.e. I don't panic, I just sit there and keep myself to myself), it's the lead up that I get really anxious about.

This is my first trip to MCO (CW) on a 777, I've always flown 747s before - call me stupid but there's something about 4 engines that I find comforting.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd be grateful for some reassurance on the 777 - it hasn't helped my flight time appears to have increased according to the BA website, any ideas?

Many thanks

if the flight time increase is ~ 1hour, i could be due to a switch to daylight saving time....no sweat....

BonBonnie Aug 14, 2011 4:55 am

Thank you again everyone, some really great advice/words of comfort.

I'd prefer not to go down the medicinal help route, I tend to drink gallon loads of chamomile tea to attempt to relax but as I said once I get on board it's not as bad.

BizFlyin Aug 14, 2011 4:58 am

Originally Posted by system error (Post 16920632)
On a personal note, and I know the others will beat me over the head for this, I make sure to touch the outside of every plane I board. Just my little way of letter the girl know I'm onboard and that I appreciate all the cool technical stuff that makes flying so great. I also give her a little pat after every touchdown. It's a superstition and is actually counter productive to my nervous tendencies but after ten years of flying, it's not going away.

Strange because I do the EXACT same thing when boarding. Every time I board a plane as I'm getting on, I give it a little pat. Silly the things we do to fool ourselves into thinking we have some control, but like you, been doing it for years, and will keep on doing it!