Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA seating policy with infants - how to get seats together??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club (Blue), Flying Blue (Ivory), Priority Club (Platinum)

First post here ... looking for some advice/help please!

I'm travelling to CPT next month - my wife & daughter (infant) are flying separately on the way out and we're all travelling back together. Normally in these cases we just get the bookings linked and a few days later we get seats together (normally 12A/B in WT+). Never been an issue before, but on this occasion (despite numerous phone calls to 4 different people) BA admantly refuse to allocate a seat next to my wife - even if I pay for it - as they say I'm not travelling with an infant, even though our bookings are linked. This has come from the seating team in Manchester ... and I can't get any direct contact details for them.

Infuriatingly if I go into my wife's MMB I can see seat 12B free, but in mine its blocked out.

Any ideas on who I can go to/what I can do next? I've already complained about one person in the pre-flight team as he wouldn't even allow me to speak to his supervisor ("no, I'm not passing this call on them over this matter"). The result of the complaint ... we'll pass you to someone in the pre-flight team! Arghhh... so frustrated!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

K.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kman_uk
BA admantly refuse to allocate a seat next to my wife - even if I pay for it - as they say I'm not travelling with an infant, even though our bookings are linked. This has come from the seating team in Manchester ... and I can't get any direct contact details for them.
Welcome to FT.

Any booking with an infant allows free seat selection from the point of booking. Anyone in WT+ can "Pay 25/30/$38 to choose your seats from the time of booking up to 25 hours before departure. Pay 50/60/$75 for exit row seats between 14 and 4 days before departure. (Children under 12 years cannot sit in exit row seats.)".

I can't understand why can't your wife select the seat she wants and you pay, through MMB, for the seat next to her?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:07 am
Original Poster

12B (the seat beside my wife) is free in her MMB, but when I go to my MMB 12B is shown as taken as it is automatically reserved for people travelling with infants (and even though our bookings are linked, it doesn't recognise the fact I'm travelling with my wife/infant).

Normally BA would just allocate this one to me manually, but in this case they're refusing to do it - even if I offer to pay for it.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Can you not put your Wife (and baby) into 12B from her MMB, so that technically the infant is in that seat, and would that not let you choose 12A? (Or am I confusing which if the A and B seats is technically the bassinet?)
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Can I suggest calling back and trying to get another agent. You may find the answer is different. Good luck.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
12B (the seat beside my wife) is free in her MMB, but when I go to my MMB 12B is shown as taken as it is automatically reserved for people travelling with infants (and even though our bookings are linked, it doesn't recognise the fact I'm travelling with my wife/infant).

Normally BA would just allocate this one to me manually, but in this case they're refusing to do it - even if I offer to pay for it.
I don't have an open WT+ booking to check, but surely not all 8 seats in the first row are bassinet seats, so can you not put your wife in one of the bassinet seats which has a "normal" seat next to it? The seat maps aren't too helpful in showing which seats are dedicated bassinet seats but surely there must be one with a normal seat next to it
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:28 am
Original Poster

A P Yu: My MMB doesn't allow me select any seats 12A-G or 11J/K .... and most of these show up as available in my wifes MMB - so I presume if my wife moved seats, I still wouldn't be able to sit beside her.

sunrisegirl: I've spoken to 4 different people so far and emailed another in the exec club, but no-one can do anything as the seating team in Manchester are refusing to allocate the seat ... and no one will give me contact details for anyone in that team. Might take a chance and send a letter to the "head of customer relations" or something similar at BA and see if that gets me anywhere..... not holding out much hope though!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
I don't have an open WT+ booking to check, but surely not all 8 seats in the first row are bassinet seats, so can you not put your wife in one of the bassinet seats which has a "normal" seat next to it? The seat maps aren't too helpful in showing which seats are dedicated bassinet seats but surely there must be one with a normal seat next to it
We've done that already - 12A has the baisinette and 12B doesn't (its an aisle seat, so you can't have a baisinette there) ... but BA still say "it's reserved for people travelling with infants" ..... but seemingly only if you're on exactly the same booking reference!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
We've done that already - 12A has the baisinette and 12B doesn't (its an aisle seat, so you can't have a baisinette there) ... but BA still say "it's reserved for people travelling with infants" ..... but seemingly only if you're on exactly the same booking reference!
It's because you have two separate bookings. You have no status so have to pay if you want to allocate a seat. Your wife gets free allocation. If you pay, you're presumably fine to get a seat (unless the front row of WT+ is blocked for GCHs???)
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:32 am

While not ideal why don't you either book a different aisle seat (such as the one behind) and swap when 12B comes available at T-24. If it doesn't come available I would find it highly unlikely that the person in 12B wouldn't welcome the prospect of swapping rather than spending the whole journey next to an infant who potentially could be being passed across them....
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
It's because you have two separate bookings. You have no status so have to pay if you want to allocate a seat. Your wife gets free allocation. If you pay, you're presumably fine to get a seat (unless the front row of WT+ is blocked for GCHs???)
But the OP has already offered to pay for a seat.
IIRC 12BJ are held for Golds (though I could be wrong on this)
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:58 am
Original Poster

sunrisegirl: that could explain it ... though why they won't let me sit next to my family I don't know (even though they could make another 25 from me!)

trvllvr123: thats probably what I'll end up doing, seems all a little silly though!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I have offered to pay already - but to no avail. On other occasions getting this seat wasn't an issue (we do this trip the same way a few times a year) .... but thinking about, previously we used a major travel agent to book our tickets and this time I went direct for mine - maybe should have just booked through the agency again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.