Wiki Posts
Search

Im getting depressed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver,
Im getting depressed

I'm on the 287 to SFO on Friday week, on a 241 award in F. It will be our first time in a cabin that I really never expected to travel in and, even though on that route NF is highly unlikely, I had been really looking forward to it, until recently.

I have been long haul J at least twice a year and find that cabin more than acceptable, and as the advice generally is, I didn't have tremendous expectations for F, just looking forward to enjoying it for what it is, the top service from our airline.

However, it seems that every thread I open is pushing me to be expecting bad food and presentation on board, terrible food and service levels in the CCR, and as I'm probably going to be in OF, a cabin that is not only tired but could do with more than a spring clean. I'm trying hard to ignore it, and nearly decided to stop reading FT until I get home, but the forum is a bit addictive, so that's not going to happen.

Help !!!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
As has been mentioned many times before probably the most important thing that determines the enjoyment of your flight is the quality of the crew. I have had great flights in both old and new F simply the crew made the trip special. Yes the shiny NF cabin is very nice but the food and wine is the same as before. The AVOD is better IMHO.

So rather than wondering about whether you will get NF or not just hope for a top crew.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Galahad5389
However, it seems that every thread I open is pushing me to be expecting bad food and presentation on board, terrible food and service levels in the CCR, and as I'm probably going to be in OF, a cabin that is not only tired but could do with more than a spring clean.
If FT is lowering your expectations for what your first First is going to be like, you are very likely to be delighted once you set off.

Our first-ever First sector was actually pretty much a disaster on all fronts. But subsequent experiences have all been infinitely better, whether on OF or NF (except for almost continuous turbulence on a JNB-LHR this week that none of the crew could do much about). One of the problems for First is that, for those of us who aren't continuously flown around the world at someone else's expense, Club is actually already a really nice way to fly long-haul, so there's a limit to how much better First can be. But it is better, and unless you are extraordinarily unlucky, you will enjoy it.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Rubbish! Don't let FT give you low expectations. My experience of OF was pretty good, the cabin was clean and the crew were excellent, the food was good too.

You are about to embark on a journey in First Class, there is nothing to be depressed about!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I'm on the 287 to SFO on Friday week, on a 241 award in F. It will be our first time in a cabin that I really never expected to travel in and, even though on that route NF is highly unlikely, I had been really looking forward to it, until recently.

I have been long haul J at least twice a year and find that cabin more than acceptable, and as the advice generally is, I didn't have tremendous expectations for F, just looking forward to enjoying it for what it is, the top service from our airline.

However, it seems that every thread I open is pushing me to be expecting bad food and presentation on board, terrible food and service levels in the CCR, and as I'm probably going to be in OF, a cabin that is not only tired but could do with more than a spring clean. I'm trying hard to ignore it, and nearly decided to stop reading FT until I get home, but the forum is a bit addictive, so that's not going to happen.

Help !!!
No! Darling if you think that the FTers in any way represent the bulk of our customers or repeat business people then you are much mistaken.

You go with an open mind and look forward to it. I always remember something someone wrote here years ago (and was roundly abused for it) - Don't expect too much of heaven. How true - I think some people complain about anything.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

Help !!!
F is a massive step up in my eyes and if you've only been in Galleries Club, in fact even if you've been in GF, the CCR is great in comparison and will only seem even more so due to you having your expectations lowered!

In fact ignore what I've said above, it will be horrific, on a par with Y. If you're lucky
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: BA
New members are far less likely to sign up to a message board to post glowing reports - much more common for someone to sign up to post a complaint.

With so many people taking regular trips, and actually so few complaints threads I think the vast majority of flights are actually top notch. (and so they should given the associated cost in F).

I had my first First last month (TR in sig), and thoroughly enjoyed every second. For me it was a genuine step up from CW, and despite being OF it was much, much more comfortable. Food was great, and the crew were better than you get in CW. (No disrespect to CW crew, I just mean they were more attentive and spent longer sorting bits and pieces out, making sure you were ok, and asking what they could do to make the flight better.).

I think we suffer from flight-fatigue on these boards where F travel becomes the norm and eventually becomes boring. For a first time in First I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Coraggio!

Postings on FT are skewed or selected - we tend to get more with rants than with praise. Go into trip reports and read about many good F experiences for a more balance view.

If it's your first time, don't be shy in letting the CC know. F is still F and you'll be treated well. If you're really gunning for NF - you can check and find out on MMB, and change your flight!

Worse comes to worse - there are lots of tips here about what you can get compensation for! But let's hope it won't come to that!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by malkie
(No disrespect to CW crew, I just mean they were more attentive and spent longer sorting bits and pieces out, making sure you were ok, and asking what they could do to make the flight better.).
Its the same crew, they all work different cabins!
(bar the CSDs I think)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
For a first time in F I think it's a safe bet to say you'll enjoy it. The seat, cabin, service, food & drink are all a step up from CW. Not the gulf there is between WT+ and CW but definitely a step up.

Think it's all about expectations. Ultimately flying is about sitting in a metal tube for hours, there's only so much any airline can do to dress that up. Have the right expectations and flying F is always an experience.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...

Help !!!
Despite the grumbling on here First is great, even OF. There is a tendency on FT to big up BA to such an extent that one gets to your position where you expect to be disappointed.

I have only been on OF and, if the crew is good, then you will have a wonderful time:

- Instruct your driver to go to the far end of T5 where you can swan into the F check-in
- Enjoy the envious gazes as you turn directly into the CCR
- Survey the depressed masses with a nice glass of bubbly. Think of your friends on FT who helped ensure you are not one of them
- Relax with a treatment in the Elemis Spa (subject to (limited) availability)
- Feel important as you are directed straight to your seat on the plane
- Marvel at the superior seat, drinks and food

If you think that you are having a hard time of it then you can wander towards the back. You will feel much better on your return.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go with sensible expectations and you'll have a great time. Enjoy it rather than focussing on 'maximising' every bit of the trip which seems the best way to run around a lot and not relaxed and appreciate where you are.

However, go with expectations in the sky and there is only one way....
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Don't. More often than not it will be fine, sometimes very good.

Once you're onboard and have had a couple of drinnks - but before you get into your oversized pyjamas - walk to the back of the plane, then return to F. Order another drink and reflect upon your good fortune.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by BA235
Don't. More often than not it will be fine, sometimes very good.

Once you're onboard and have had a couple of drinnks - but before you get into your oversized pyjamas - walk to the back of the plane, then return to F. Order another drink and reflect upon your good fortune.
^
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm pretty sure you'll have a terrific time of it, right from the off. The odd reported poor experience out of hundreds of flights that have taken place is not anything to be worried about.....and can happen on any airline.
And from what I've seen in recent reports the food in F seems to have improved quite noticeably. In fact it looks so good I wish I was flying in BA F again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.