Wiki Posts
Search

LGW experience...what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
LGW experience...what to expect?

Having flown exclusively from LHR in the past , i have my first LGW cw flight on Thursday. I have read frequently on FT that the LGW experience is great and so i am looking forward to it.Has anyone got any LGW tips and will i get to meet the lovely SRG?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:25 am

Check-in is a breeze, and security is pretty fast. There is fast track security to the left of the security entrance, and as a CW passenger, you are entitled to use it.

Once in departures, follow signs for the BA Lounge (to the far left once cleared security and past WH Smith). Up a flight of stairs, or use the lift. Grab a seat near the windows to watch the airfield operations

In terms of food offering in LGW, not as great as LHR but sufficient before a CW flight.

If you are a Gold card holder, you will be able to access the First Lounge, directly across from the Club lounge.

You may be very lucky and get to meet the famous SRG! ^
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:32 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Delightful staff at check in, lounge and boarding.

It's almost like a mix of LHR T1 and T5. I don't know why I say that, I just always have felt that.

(PS I mean T1 when BA used to use it...last time I was there was 2007!!)
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's not as posh or well appointed as LHR but the service and friendliness is great, more than making up for it! It feels quieter. ^

The lift to the lounge is really slow, even for one floor! I usually use the stairs.

How are you getting to LGW?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Although the crew on BA2364 LGW-MRS in CE were quite unfriendly today I must say...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fruitcake
It's not as posh or well appointed as LHR but the service and friendliness is great, more than making up for it! It feels quieter. ^

The lift to the lounge is really slow, even for one floor! I usually use the stairs.

How are you getting to LGW?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

sounds like you ft 'ers enjoy flying from LGW! We will be arriving by taxi, no gold card but the club lounge sounds fine.How will i recognise SRG...does she wear a flower in her hair?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:15 pm

There's also a pay per play (non BA) spa on the floor below the BA Lounge. Had a very good back massage there the other week. they also had toe nibbling fish (shudder).

You'll recognise Her Serienity by the dazziling looks, hefty dose of common sense and the large hot tub.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 2:36 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Aren't normal LGW experiences likely to be scr*wed by the hordes of lemmings going on holidays?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 2:42 am

Programs: BA
I expected that, but it wasn't too bad at all.
I wrote a TR for CW out of LGW (including arrivals lounge) as I'd never done it before.
Link in sig (the MCO one)
Old Jul 24, 2011, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by OPebble
Aren't normal LGW experiences likely to be scr*wed by the hordes of lemmings going on holidays?
Believe it or not, no.

If you are on longhaul out of LGW, then there is the high possibility that you would be going on holiday yourself.

If on shorthaul, a lot of passengers are point to point and the domestics are quite often packed with business people.

The LGW lounges are not normally overly busy (unlike T5 Galleries South). Therefore you can have a relaxing drink without the constant movement of people in and out of the lounge, and to and from the food & beverage area.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, Flying Blue Gold
Living in Horsham, LGW is my 'local' - and have very few negative things to say!

The lounge is terraces, but with new(ish) furniture and very friendly lounge dragons.

Agree - the stairs are MUCH quicker than waiting for what has to be one of the slowest lifts in the world!!!

If you are coming by train the transit to north terminal is good now they've refurbed it, and head for the right hand escalator of the two in front of you when you are in the terminal to land at the BA desks. Club being to the right at the moment once you are up there.^

The only slight downside for LGW long haul is that there is no sleeper service back from the US/Caribbean.

Have fun!!! Also - don't even worry about using fast track, they will almost always open a new lane for you - go for the middle security^ (MUCH quicker than fast track at LHR)

imt24

slightly OT: but if you are there really early - go and look at the new security entrance at south terminal - the most snazzy looking security I've seen in any airport in the world!!!:-::-::-::-::-:
Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Leaving aside the once-a-year travellers who struggle to read simple signs and like to argue at security ( ) LGW is nice and user friendly. Security staff are notably nicer than LHR and the horrible summer queues of years past are just that - history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.