Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Share of Heathrow by Invitation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'd give it a go if it were £30, but not at £300.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
£300 to avoid what at worst is probably a 30 minute or so queue?!

You must be seriously minted, or seriously crazy!

Imagine the nice leisurely lunch you could have with that £300 following the immigration hell!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
It used to be something like £300 for USCopter from JFK-Manhattan back in the day. At one point it was included with Delta full-fare J. Now THAT would be worth £300. Car from plane to chopper to Tower 42/1 Canada Sq/Hilton Parklane or something.....
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
£300 to avoid what at worst is probably a 30 minute or so queue?!

You must be seriously minted, or seriously crazy!

Imagine the nice leisurely lunch you could have with that £300 following the immigration hell!
It is only effectively £240 if you include the Corporation Tax offset

I would give this a go with a group of people I knew if it were ever a viable option, I am not sure I would do it with a bunch of total strangers though.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
I cannot imagine even in my most ostentatious moment paying $1500 + VAT for this - what a stupid price. Think of the margin.

Not even after an alcohol fuelled daytime F trip.

What next, being transported through the terminal in a litter / sedan chair whilst a member of BAA VIP services sprinkles rose petals before you, with Segway outriggers. £5000..... + VAT
I nearly spat my dinner out reading that

Reading FT while eating, not such a good idea!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
Personal perspective ... we enjoy flying BA, and going away, and all that. However, the airport experiences are generally fairly dire.
I really wouldn't describe the T5 experience as dire at all. Especially with IRIS.

However the transiting between LHR and LGW must be a realy PIT, so if this included limo transportation, with passport service en route, then maybe £300. If someone else was paying!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Statement removed as it appears to be causing offence.

(Shame I'm not allowed to express them as others have on here, but some always pick my posts to quote)

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Jul 27, 2011 at 6:56 pm
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
^^
I'm sorry but I actually find it rather obscene that people can throw away money like this.

Say it's a 5 minute ride, that works out at £3,600 per hour. That's about a third of the annual basic salary of MF crew. Clearly it would appear that some people have lost the perspective of how life is for a great many people struggling to survive on low salaries these days.

Unbelieveable.
SRG

Maybe you should just accept people have a differing opinion to you, have different priorites in their lives to you ? At the end of the day it's their money.. If we all thought the same, the world would be a boring place.

Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL
^^
I'm sorry but I actually find it rather obscene that people can throw away money like this.

Say it's a 5 minute ride, that works out at £3,600 per hour. That's about a third of the annual basic salary of MF crew. Clearly it would appear that some people have lost the perspective of how life is for a great many people struggling to survive on low salaries these days.

Unbelieveable.
I'm sorry.....cabin crew salaries are as low as £10k? Seriously? Who can live on that? There are Polish kids with two words of English making more than that working in pubs!

I think we could close 95% of the service complaint threads in this forum by simply pointing to that figure.

Shameful.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Habemuspapam
I'm sorry.....cabin crew salaries are as low as £10k?
Basic salary, not total income, and excluding BIKs.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:40 am

^^
You shouldn't really think it obscene. After all, that money goes directly to employ a whole host of people connected with the LHR By Invitation operation.

And it's a lot less expensive than a private jet.

From the marketing/advertising people, to the photographers and website designers, logistics providers (truck drivers to you and me) who ship in the food and wine for the lounge, interior designers and artists who kit the place out, security people, hosts, drivers right down to the person who cleans the toilets.

It may seem a lot, but providing a level of service in excess of that provided in the CCr to an even smaller number of passengers costs a great deal - and a lot of that comes right back to the UK Exchequer - 20% VAT for starters, plus all the tax on salaries by those employed in the operation, plus corporation tax (though I appreciate Ferrovial basically acquired LHR to avoid taxes, most of which it pays in Spain, but that's another matter).

If anything, I'd be encouraging people to take the plunge on things like this, most especially if they're from overseas as things like this can begin to have an effect on balance of payments.

More power to the suckers who purchase this, I say! There's one born every minute!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Speedbird218
SRG

Maybe you should just accept people have a differing opinion to you, have different priorites in their lives to you ? At the end of the day it's their money.. If we all thought the same, the world would be a boring place.
Exactly, there are quite a few people who have far more money than time. Spending large sums of money to maximise time or experience is what happens.

Theres nothing 'obscene' in having a different set of priorities and means to fund them. Not sure that encouraging people not to spend money makes anyone's life better does it
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: QFWP, SQ PPS,QFLTG, EK Silver,SPG Gold, HH Diamond ,Amex Centurion
I've used a similar service in Singapore called Jet Quay and I booked it through the Ritz Carlton. For $150 SGD I got picked up in a golf buggy and driven to a private lounge where immigration dealt with my passport. Whilst on the buggy, my luggage tag receipt was read out to someone on the other end of a mobile phone, who's job was to collect it and put it in the back of my awaiting car.

The $150SGD also included the ride from the airport to the hotel. Honestly I use it every time I am in Singapore. The Jetquay service also includes access to a lounge with a smoking area whilst my bags are found and loaded into the back of my awaiting car.

For about 70 quid, that's certainly worth it (especially as it includes the car ride to the hotel) I would recommend this to anyone in Singapore. However, I think that BAA needs to look at it's price point.. I'd not pay 300 quid, but i'd pay 70 quid...

James
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. If people are prepared to pay for it, it's their choice.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by ian001
Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. If people are prepared to pay for it, it's their choice.
Amen to that! What people do with their own money is their own business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.