Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Mine have been great too, albeit shorthaul (AMS).^
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I'm surprised that one of the many mixed fleet crew that used to post and that were so interested in "Being Outstanding" no longer contribute, I wonder why?
Having had colleagues who have either flown with mixed fleet as volunteer crew or have actually been on flights operated by mixed fleet, many of the mixed fleet crew are indeed "being outstanding" just as many of the existing WW and EF crew are. There are some issues and not every flight goes smoothly, but the same can be said on the existing fleets.

I have sat on flights with existing WW crew for example and been ashamed of how the crew have performed.

It shouldn't matter which fleet operated a flight, if the service wasn't up to standard, then it should be fed back and looked into. Similarly, where service has been outstanding, we should acknowledge that. We all work for the same company and reports of bad service reflects on all of us, whether we are mixed fleet, WW, EF, pilots, ground staff etc.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
We all work for the same company and reports of bad service reflects on all of us, whether we are mixed fleet, WW, EF, pilots, ground staff etc.
Well said.....hopefully the bad reports are few and far between.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by origin
What I get upset with is families who dont sit together on a flight. If you dont like each other than why do you expect other people to sit near you.
I don't travel in the same section as my kids, and it has nothing to do with liking or not liking them. Just don't believe that kids should sit in the front. And mine aren't kids.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
Having had colleagues who have either flown with mixed fleet as volunteer crew or have actually been on flights operated by mixed fleet, many of the mixed fleet crew are indeed "being outstanding" just as many of the existing WW and EF crew are. There are some issues and not every flight goes smoothly, but the same can be said on the existing fleets.

I have sat on flights with existing WW crew for example and been ashamed of how the crew have performed.

It shouldn't matter which fleet operated a flight, if the service wasn't up to standard, then it should be fed back and looked into. Similarly, where service has been outstanding, we should acknowledge that. We all work for the same company and reports of bad service reflects on all of us, whether we are mixed fleet, WW, EF, pilots, ground staff etc.
I agree with all you say, BA have set up MF as a separate fleet and is some ways a sub brand. The female crew wear hats and there are other uniform differences, why? because BA wants customers to know that they are being served by crew selected to be more motivated, customer focused and tightly managed.
Only time will tell if BA have succeeded or not, meanwhile customers appear to be suffering.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:18 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by Bar Operator
I don't see Mixed Fleet existing in its present shape or form in 3-4 years.
Perhaps if the short-haul experience eventually becomes replicated by the long-haul, this will not become necessary.

But it is crystal clear that a very new British Airways is in existence.
We know Mr Walsh to be both a workaholic and a great talker. For that matter, and in fairness, my professional criticisms are mitigated by my views of his personal character, but an unsentimental, objective viewpoint must be applied. I am not necessarily the person to apply such a vision. But for the true old school BA aficionado -- which we all once were -- I fear one's overladen nostalgia, alas, might need to be checked at the door going forward.

Still, BA do have jolly nice seats and onboard gin though, and when things go wrong they do look after their best customers as best they can do, and should do.

Hmm. I'd allocate a fraction of the differential between WorldWide and Mixed Fleet towards Mixed Fleet longhaul training and professional development, and would advocate promoting the brightest shorthaul bulbs towards longhaul service standards. The idea being BA's heritage and standards are meant to be maintained. (But some recent longhaul MF reports are very poor indeed.)

For BA diehards like me, I don't know if "it's not going to happen", or "it hasn't yet happened, in its initial incarnation", but I know what I'd prefer.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors, East Coast Mainline, Sheraton
Mixed fleet is a learning curve that BA will go through.

What I get upset with is families who dont sit together on a flight. If you dont like each other than why do you expect other people to sit near you.
I am yet to read a positive mixed fleet trip report from the premium cabins and this is the second bad one this week (re the LAS) both in F also. Amen to moving the route back to Gatwick or Worldwide. I think the problem lies with the fact hardly any of them including CSMs have flown for BA before and that the fleet is growing too fast for them to find their feet and with no experienced crew to look to it's all falling apart.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Bar Operator
Recruitment is geared towards spouting out the right "key" words rather than any attempt to gauge experience or sincerity ... so unfortunately we are seeing a lot of questionable talent coming through.
That's the same all over the place now, not just BA or even just the travel industry.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I don't travel in the same section as my kids, and it has nothing to do with liking or not liking them. Just don't believe that kids should sit in the front. And mine aren't kids.
All the more reason not to let them sit in the front unless they are paying for the flights themselves (or having their work pay for it etc)

I wasn't allowed to sit in the front until I started paying for my own flights, and I think it did me good. I got to see that flying in economy class doesn't kill me

But it also taught me that it's also not a nice way to travel and best to be avoided. It makes me appreciate the premium travel more though - having said that, I now tend to take it for granted a little too much.

P.S. I think Origin was talking about parents with children who are too young to be on their own travelling in a different section (and without a nanny or other adult supervisor accompanying them) - or at least that's what I thought.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 18, 2011 at 4:19 am
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by stifle
That's the same all over the place now, not just BA or even just the travel industry.
Which is why I think we're seeing people in jobs in the service industry who really shouldn't be there. They can do a great interview, but when it comes to the actual job they're lacking. And I'm talking all industries here, not just travel.

I've absolutely no doubt there are some great staff among the MF team, but the level of complaints appear to be increasing, which is concerning. I think flyer16's comment I've quoted below sums it up well.

I think the problem lies with the fact hardly any of them including CSMs have flown for BA before and that the fleet is growing too fast for them to find their feet and with no experienced crew to look to it's all falling apart
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I was really saying that children / kids who still need support from the parents should be near the aprents on a flight.

The OP claimed that they were in First and the children were in Club.

Wandering down the cabin with their toy says to me that they really should have been closer to their parents and if support was needed, given. BA and many airlines have a policy of not allowing under ten years old to travel alone. BA did have a option so that they could travel with a rep from BA to look after them. Having children in another cabin I feel breaks the rules.

Another person on here does have a few bears. One of these was damaged when it was blown up. Its owners at the time managed to get it back home and it was repaired. In my view save yourself when bombs are flying. But thats just me. An alledged incident of red wine isnt going to hurt the toy more than incendiay device.

I do agree that when people are paying there is no need to worry about which section they end up. Although we havent heard from your kids on that subject.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I wasn't allowed to sit in the front until I started paying for my own flights, and I think it did me good. I got to see that flying in economy class doesn't kill me.
I am shocked and outraged. Such comments on flyertalk
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am shocked and outraged. Such comments on flyertalk
What does not kill me will not make me stronger - it might just make me cry.

I can't even claim child cruelty on my parents since they sat with me in economy class (they never travelled economy class when I wasn't with them). Boo!!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
What does not kill me will not make me stronger - it might just make me cry.

Its not that bad down the back.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by riced
Well I've finally experienced New First and have to say that the cabin is really nice. The new video screens are a huge improvement, and there is a really nice modern feeling to everything. The only negative is the "spouse seat" which is more uncomfortable that the old one.

The huge negative to this flight was the crew. I do not think there was a single member over 25 including the Purser. Nobody knew what to do. I had to wait over an hour after a smooth takeoff to get a glass of champagne. The flight attendant then delivered a glass of red to me... When I told her that I had ordered champagne, she promptly spilled the whole glass over the person in 2E. After another 20 minutes I was served a warm glass minus the nuts that everyone else received.

Then we had another emergency...My daughter back in 10J had a whole bottle of red spilled from head to toe. I do not know how this could possibly happen but she comes running up to us almost crying because they have ruined her dress and more importantly a very precious stuffed animal. We spend the next 30 minutes in the wash room trying to clean her up. The staff continue to serve with no offer of assistance other than some soda water. I then ask to speak to the CSD and he offers a voucher for dry cleaning...

I know accidents happen, but this flight was ludicrous. The poor service continued with my call button having to be depressed for just about everything. Another example of the poor service was Afternoon tea. When my wife and I ordered, we were told that the scones were not available until 1.5hrs prior to landing. I thought you could eat anything in F at anytime? Anyway we made the most of it and tried to polish off as many bottles of Tattinger as possible. BA should give this F crew remedial training and I am totally baffled as to how the CSD was promoted to this position so young. Absolutely useless.
I also recently had the unfortunate experience in F to ATL but in old F . At least you got the new cabin!
I agree with everything you say about the crew. The service was not very professional at all, and generally seemed more of a leisure kind of service. Not once was I offered a top up of water or wine, and my call button was not answered a couple of times! The main course of beef was disgusting which would not even be acceptable in Y. The starter and desert were fine although it would have been nice to be offered another bread roll with my soup. Do they have Pursers in Mixed Fleet, as it was not apparent who was in charge of the cabin? The few times I have flown F before and been very good, but this experience was not good at all.
I returned to the UK from BOS in J, and the service/crew and food were very good........far superior to the service/crew in F on the way out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.