Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New F but terrible young crew on LHR-ATL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by origin
Mixed fleet is a learning curve that BA will go through.

What I get upset with is families who dont sit together on a flight. If you dont like each other than why do you expect other people to sit near you.
Yes, and I get upset when I get allocated 5E while my wife and daughter end up in 1K through whatever bizarre seat allocation procedure gets implemented. Sometimes the assumption is not the correct one. But I digress. I haven't had the "pleasure" of a mixed fleet crew yet. Perhaps by the time I do, some of the issues will have been ironed out?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Mixed fleet is a learning curve that BA will go through..
True but I wouldn't be too happy to experience the type of service the OP encountered in F. Having to wait an hour after takeoff for a drink is very poor. They used to serve a full 757 an English breakfast and have it cleared away on the GLA shuttle within that time.

I wonder if their training on the ground is being rushed?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Although the reason for the lesser service is explained this does not mean that you should not complain. I think it is very important that BA receives the feedback so that it realizes that additional training is required or that the passengers are given an explanation beforehand. A little openness and honesty goes a long way.
I plan on giving feedback as the training they received was obviously not enough. Is the best place to start the link in one of the the other threads here?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Can / do Mixed Fleet crews join BASSA? They should have a union, after all, just hopefully one behaving more sensibly.
I don't know. Given the opinion that 'regular' fleets have about MF (at least what I have heard) I doubt they will ever co-exist in peace... Maybe when the dust has settled in 2 years or so.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HIDDY
True but I wouldn't be too happy to experience the type of service the OP encountered in F. Having to wait an hour after takeoff for a drink is very poor. They used to serve a full 757 an English breakfast and have it cleared away on the GLA shuttle within that time.

I wonder if their training on the ground is being rushed?
I wouldn't be too impressed with that service in J, let alone F.

I agree that it would be good to complain so that it can be remedied. There may have been a really good reason for the delay (e.g. medical emergency down the back that the OP did not know about) but if that was the case, a brief explanation would have been good. It also does not sound like spillages were handled very well.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by henkybaby
I don't know. Given the opinion that 'regular' fleets have about MF (at least what I have heard) I doubt they will ever co-exist in peace... Maybe when the dust has settled in 2 years or so.
Yes, a space to watch.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Mixed fleet is a learning curve that BA will go through.

What I get upset with is families who dont sit together on a flight. If you dont like each other than why do you expect other people to sit near you.
What a total co.ck comment You defend BAs learning curve which is 100% their issue and has nothing to do with a paying customer then moan about a customer who splits his booking between 2 cabins. It could be to do with company policy, reward bookings, MFU availability or another multitude of reasons that we dont know about but you choose to judge this rather than what appears to be crap service..
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Exec
Nothing wrong with having a moan here, as long as you back it up with an actual complaint to BA.

Young, inexperienced crew that are waiting to get a better job, coupled with a 3-day training course that covers Club and First. Senior crew get 2 days. They then get thrown onto their first longhaul flight and good luck with it.

I'm afraid the impression I get is that the company don't want to know, as long as they are meeting their cost-saving targets. Would love to be proved wrong. Culture on Mixed Fleet from senior management down is "stop complaining and get on with meeting your targets". Shame.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by riced
After another 20 minutes I was served a warm glass minus the nuts that everyone else received.
If a cold drink is warm - send it back. I had warm champagne SIN-SYD; asked the FA for a chilled glass and it came to me in a couple of minutes. Problem solved - I'm not going to fume in my seat in what could be an easy mistake by the crew (assuming the bottle was chilled). Communicate!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by seanp7
Communicate!
It takes two to tango. From what I understand the crews are so overwhelmed and undertrained that communicating is rather troublesome.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seanp7
If a cold drink is warm - send it back. I had warm champagne SIN-SYD; asked the FA for a chilled glass and it came to me in a couple of minutes. Problem solved - I'm not going to fume in my seat in what could be an easy mistake by the crew (assuming the bottle was chilled). Communicate!
Well I tried to via the call button...no response. I gave up and drank it warm assuming by the second glass things would get better. It did, but that does not make up for the initial delay. Drink service improved from that point, but mainly because they were serving meals.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CT-UK
What a total co.ck comment You defend BAs learning curve which is 100% their issue and has nothing to do with a paying customer then moan about a customer who splits his booking between 2 cabins. It could be to do with company policy, reward bookings, MFU availability or another multitude of reasons that we dont know about but you choose to judge this rather than what appears to be crap service..
I was just saying that I dont like family with young children travelling in different areas of the cabin. This also includes Y. Every time I have seen it children get sick. Although I havent flown at the back for ten years.

Reward bookings is a pathetic reason, sorry but it is.

I also feel that having both suffered from a spill of wine is a coincidence. But we will never know the reality of that.

Have a nice evening.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Clearly NOT a good trip ... that's not very good service, even for J as others have noted.

All I would suggest, respectfully, is that the justifiable complaint is couched in moderate language. "I was disappointed ..." etc etc.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by riced
I plan on giving feedback as the training they received was obviously not enough. Is the best place to start the link in one of the the other threads here?
No the best thing is to go onto ba.com and type in 'complaint' in the search box. Then follow the instructions from there, and complete the online complaints form.

That said I always prefer to write in using snail mail. Have always had a response very quickly and efficiently using this means. There is a link in the process above which tells you where to write to.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Put the Atlanta route back to Gatwick. They have consistently good crews there.
Sadly we know this not to be the case - and in exactly the same situation. F cabin, Eastbound TATL. Headless chickens might have done better but it took almost an hour from wheels up until I got a drink on UVF-LGW a couple of months back.

BA seemed to own up pretty fast - the CSD agreed it was a woeful performance and we got a healthy chunk of miles back as a result. Thing is, BA didn't offer me any attempt at an assurance that things would be any better next time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.