Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice on Using 110K BA miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat
Need advice on Using 110K BA miles

I have accumulaed 110K BA miles, but will admit I know very little on how to properly use them. I am very fluid with UA/*A but a newbie to Oneworld.
I am US based and I am very unlikely to ever fly BA as they do not serve my local airports CAE & CLT. So my question is what is the best use of my miles on AA and what type of fees should I expect? I saw some fees of $600 per coach ticket to Europe on Ba which honestly I'd rather spend $800 on UA and earn miles! Should I use these for domestic or international travel and does BA charge inflated fees or are the fees the same as AA charges if the flight is on AA metal? Is it as simple as looking at AA for flights then calling BA, or completely different? Truly thankful for any insight.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you want to use BA miles without incurring much out-of-pocket expense, you can use the miles to fly AA within the Americas (including the Caribbean, Hawaii, Central and South America). En-route stopovers are free along what BA considers the "most direct route." Only MileSAAver seats that show up on aa.com can be booked with BA miles. When the ba.com award-booking engine is working right, you can even book AA awards on line (but you would have to call BAEC if you wanted to book an AA itinerary with one or more stopovers).

If you can get yourself to JFK or MIA, you can also get good value by redeeming on LAN to South America (including Easter Island, if desired).
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Fees

So if I use the BA miles on AA (US domestic) the fees are the same as if I had AA miles, or does BA add on fuel charges etc...?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Originally Posted by jwchef1975
So if I use the BA miles on AA (US domestic) the fees are the same as if I had AA miles, or does BA add on fuel charges etc...?
On domestic AA flights, BA doesn't add any charges.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I will give it a go.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:11 pm

You might consider using your BA miles to fly CX in J to somewhere in Asia. You'll pay about $300 in YQ surcharges but that's still cheap to fly to HK/Japan/SE Asia in business.

Might also check into OneWorld Circle-the-pacific or atlantic fares. Not sure about the exact miles needed to fly J but it might be close to 110K. The fees may be prohibitively high, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.