Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why sleep on a 6 hour dayflight to the middle east?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why sleep on a 6 hour dayflight to the middle east?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC & others
Makes no difference to me whether people sleep or not on flights as long as the cabin staff don't try and insist that window blinds are closed on flights that start and end in daylight hours. I want to be free to enjoy the daylight and views.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Because I can, I have a tendency to be able to sleep generally whenever I want, and if sleeping on a plane helps pass time then I will. It won't change what time I go to sleep at the destination, yes the sleep may not be perfect, but it will always be sufficient for me to survive the day
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
One thing I have observed in all my flights to the middle east is that on day flights a lot of people put the seats back and go to sleep.

But why do they do this?
@:-) ...because they are tired
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Because they are often encouraged to! On a 9.30 am departure, blinds were closed within an hour and lights were dimmed....everyone went to sleep until lunch!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
On a very long flight (say 12+ hours in F, or 8+ hours in Club) I find it really quite excruciatingly dull and claustrophobic if I don't sleep for a fair chunk of the flight. The only thing I find positively enjoyable is decent food and drink, but even on a Fflight with two Ffull meals, that only takes up about three hours or so. I can read in relative peace and comfort in the nose, but it's still more disagreeable than curling up on the sofa at home.

I suppose I can manage to get through a six hour flight without lying down to sleep, but it's about ten years since I've done so.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Flying makes me sleepy.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by omarr135
Because they are often encouraged to! On a 9.30 am departure, blinds were closed within an hour and lights were dimmed....everyone went to sleep until lunch!
Indeed and it happens even on long day flights. Once the meal has been cleared away the blinds get closed and you soon get the message that the cabin crew expect you to be seated, belted up and quiet......drives me mad. Never used to be like that on long haul day flights that I remember.

I don't sleep very well in the air. In fact a lie flat seat is wasted on me.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:30 pm
Ambassador

Although I would never sleep on a day-flight I do usually prefer to be in bed mode with a duvet even if I'm wide awake. Perhaps some people look more asleep than they actually are if others do this?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed and it happens even on long day flights. Once the meal has been cleared away the blinds get closed and you soon get the message that the cabin crew expect you to be seated, belted up and quiet......drives me mad. Never used to be like that on long haul day flights that I remember.

I don't sleep very well in the air. In fact a lie flat seat is wasted on me.
I agree this nonsense has got out of hand. Why do we have to sit in the dark for hours on end, when it is daylight outside?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG+LTQP
Originally Posted by clacko
...i rarely do more than dose...
I read that to mean "imbibe" rather than "snooze"... :-)
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by BA304
I always stay awake on eastbound day-flights.

I wish there were more flights to the far east that left mid-afternoon. I don't understand all these late night SIN/HKG etc flights - you end up having a full night's sleep
Ahh, I guess you don't fly in Y like the majority of people
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:04 pm

Flying is boring and even though I load my iPad/laptop with films, tv, music and magazines, I try and sleep as much as possible. That often means asleep before and during takeoff.

I'm another late to bed the night before, up early person so anytime I can zzzzzz, I will.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Asleep during taxiing, take off and landing? Never for me! Always need my window seat!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
I have never takes a middle eastern flight, unless you call TLV middle east, however I have an answer to your question:
I sleep whenever I can; as much as I can; as long as I can regardless of the situation. So if i ever took a flight to say Dubai - I would love to spend it asleep.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
I always sleep on the BA day flights to DXB or AUH. Usually because I have just flown in from DFW/IAH, and my body hasn't quite adjusted.

Also, the food in Club isn't worth staying up for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.