Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why sleep on a 6 hour dayflight to the middle east?

Old Jul 7, 11, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

One thing I have observed in all my flights to the middle east is that on day flights a lot of people put the seats back and go to sleep.

But why do they do this? I always find that when I sleep during the day I have great trouble sleeping at night time and in the middle east bed time is 2 or three hours earlier than the UK.

Perhaps others are different. Or maybe they are misguided. What do you chaps think?

Old Jul 7, 11, 12:47 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
A lot of them might be connecting from North America and on a different time cycle to UK. I have flown JFK-LHR-DEL in one go a few times and ended up sleeping mostly on the 2nd leg.

What might be a "dayflight" for UK originating pax might not be so for connecting pax.
Old Jul 7, 11, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
I'm with you. Tactically it makes no sense but a lot of people do feel tired on planes and for some it is a way of passing the time.

Some may have joined the flight on a connection from the US and had a redeye on the first leg.
Old Jul 7, 11, 12:52 pm

It's probably got something to do with starting drinking champagne after boarding at 09:30 or so . I've flown thoses routes many, many times and nearly always sleep for a couple of hours after lunch and a few glasses of wine.

Misguided? Maybe. Hungover when I wake? Usually.
Old Jul 7, 11, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They may have had an early start for a connecting flight? Or indeed an overnight from N America.

Maybe a late one the previous evening and need to catch up on sleep? Or possibly an onward overnight connection on a non-flat bed airline and they'd like some nap.

Or possibly bored rigid by daylights and unenthusiastic about the Club food and service sleeping is the only way to get through the flight?
Old Jul 7, 11, 1:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i envy people who can sleep well on flights.....i rarely do more than dose....but every one can have a different sked & a different plan based on trip length, when they started, how far they have to go,etc....
Old Jul 7, 11, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I have been on a day flight to the US and do fine that I tend to snooze after lunch is served. Might as well recline and be comfortable.

No different after Sunday lunch I suppose and there is nothing to stay awake for. Also some people may have had to get up early to get to the airport so they might be catching up their sleep.
Old Jul 7, 11, 1:14 pm

preparing for the new time zones..

It helps to sleep on Eastbound flights... remember that when we
have "day" there is "night" in the middleeast/asia... this way one
can adjust rapidly to the new time zone..

Also.. I never try to compare myself with others... like fingerprints.
we are ALL very unique human beings... the folks who go to sleep
during the flight might just as well be asking Why do some people
keep AWAKE instead of catching up with the jet lag??

they say.. "to each his/her own"...
Old Jul 7, 11, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Maybe too much Champagne at the CCR?
Old Jul 7, 11, 1:21 pm

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Because they can? A lot of people are carrying a chronic sleep debt. Payback time!
Old Jul 7, 11, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
They may have had an early start for a connecting flight? Or indeed an overnight from N America.

Maybe a late one the previous evening and need to catch up on sleep? Or possibly an onward overnight connection on a non-flat bed airline and they'd like some nap.

Or possibly bored rigid by daylights and unenthusiastic about the Club food and service sleeping is the only way to get through the flight?
This was always the reason I slept on those 10:30 am flights to Bahrain. I can't really sleep on planes, but even after spending 8-9 hours in CW on an overnight from N. America, I could sleep without problem on these day flights.
Old Jul 7, 11, 1:42 pm
Ambassador

I always stay awake on eastbound day-flights.

I wish there were more flights to the far east that left mid-afternoon. I don't understand all these late night SIN/HKG etc flights - you end up having a full night's sleep and then arriving in the evening when you should be going to sleep again but can't.

If you leave mid-afternoon you only get a partial sleep and then arrive in the late morning so there's enough time to feel tired by the time the evening comes around.
Old Jul 7, 11, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
Because they can? A lot of people are carrying a chronic sleep debt. Payback time!
Ditto, two young kids and a hectic job equate to sleeping whenever and however I can
Old Jul 7, 11, 1:53 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Also remember, for those that don't live in London and have to commute on a domestic flight to Heathrow, they may have been starting early. I'm off to the middle east tomorrow, and will be up at 4am. Will definately lie flat for a few hours on the longhaul segment.
Old Jul 7, 11, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by BA304 View Post
I wish there were more flights to the far east that left mid-afternoon. I don't understand all these late night SIN/HKG etc flights - you end up having a full night's sleep and then arriving in the evening when you should be going to sleep again but can't.
Whether I'm going to JFK or BKK, I find that upon arrival my friends expect me to have the energy to stay up until at least 6am. It's a case of switching from work sleep cycle to party sleep cycle. I need as much sleep as possible on a plane.

Also, I am usually sleep-deprived prior to a long trip. I'm not a business traveller who just throws one clean shirt and pair of underwear in some hand baggage and goes. I'm always up late before a trip not only packing by also calling and emailing to sort out last minute social arrangements.

I rarely fly to the Middle East, but on my last trip, to TLV, I arrived on a Thursday and went to bed around 5am, IIRC.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: