Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amex increasing my BA Premium Plus Card Fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex increasing my BA Premium Plus Card Fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold BD Silver Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
if I get time (which I probably won't) I will dig it out, looks liek its worth a moan to CS just for some tesco vouchers
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by origin
Excuse me sir, have you really used your card to buy a car or did you do a balance transfer.

Sorry about the letter.
I used the Amex to cover the down payment.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
Thanks. When I was younger it was one of the things I wanted to do. Buy a car with an Amex card. I am a bit strange.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:40 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Prospero
No suitable cash-balance transfers available with a nil interest period and/or some miles?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:16 am

Pretty sure Amex have got things wrong as when I spoke to the FOS they thought I had a valid complaint against Amex on the BA Card fee issue. Beggars belief that Amex can't see the customers perspective, in that their actions are potentailly denying us access to services eg insurance and loyalty beenfits that we have already paid for . Will keep you informed as to the outcome of my complaint to the FOS.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Just got my letter today.

But don't understand as it says "as you no hold a companion Credit Card or Charge Card" - but I have a Plat Credit card and Green Charge Card! Will be calling when I can to complain about this and the the retrospective charge. Very un-ethical.

This seems to be a blatant money grabbing exercise by Amex. My company stopped taking Amex at all our stores bar one two years ago because of the high fees they charge. We kept it at one because of particularly large client that used Amex. Now we recieved a letter saying if we didn't accept it all stores, they'd stop us using it for that one. Fine. That client's importance has now waned. Goodbye Amex!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:48 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by FLyerGPS
Pretty sure Amex have got things wrong as when I spoke to the FOS they thought I had a valid complaint against Amex on the BA Card fee issue. Beggars belief that Amex can't see the customers perspective, in that their actions are potentailly denying us access to services eg insurance and loyalty beenfits that we have already paid for . Will keep you informed as to the outcome of my complaint to the FOS.
Good luck.

I think it's the Office of Fair Trading that regulates the terms and conditions (and arbitrates on their fairness) of credit card companies although Amex is regulated by the FSA ..........
Old Jul 16, 2011, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Not sure if this will work with the BA AMEX but if you are a big spender on the card (i.e. > 30K GBP) you can always call them and ask them to waive the fees or you'll take your business elsewhere. Not too many people know this but you can actually negotiate with your credit card company...

Fees have been waived, I assure you.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 1:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by dddc
Just got my letter today.

But don't understand as it says "as you no hold a companion Credit Card or Charge Card" - but I have a Plat Credit card and Green Charge Card! Will be calling when I can to complain about this and the the retrospective charge. Very un-ethical.
I got mine yesterday. Mine also has the "as you no longer hold" language, which is odd (I have a Green charge card). I assume it's just a mistake and am giving up the charge card soon anyways.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
They can, with 60 days' notice, change the terms and conditions to introduce whatever fee, charge, etc. they want, and you have the option within that 60-day period to decline the change and close your account.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:52 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by stifle
They can, with 60 days' notice, change the terms and conditions to introduce whatever fee, charge, etc. they want, and you have the option within that 60-day period to decline the change and close your account.
I'm not affected - but what you say is true - but none of us know yet whether it is "unfair" to do so with the specifics of the BA card. It "feels" unfair - so may therefore be so.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by uk1
I'm not affected - but what you say is true - but none of us know yet whether it is "unfair" to do so with the specifics of the BA card. It "feels" unfair - so may therefore be so.
And to that end, those affected have the right to complain to Amex, and if dissatisfied (or if they do not receive a reply within 40 working days) to complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
Can you post the terms and conditions that permit Amex to do this, so that we can see if this is correct?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:54 pm

OK, here are the terms and conditions (although not those for cards which receive the discount)

6. FEES
6.1 The fees and commissions that apply to your account are set out below. You agree to pay these fees and commissions and you authorise us to charge them to your account when due. A membership year starts on the anniversary of card membership and ends on the day before the next anniversary of card membership, (called card anniversary date).
6.2 A card membership annual fee of £150 is payable annually at the beginning of each membership year.
6.3 We reserve the right to change the circumstances in which any of the fees or commissions on your account are charged and the amount of those fees or commissions. We will provide notice of any change as set out in the ‘Changes’ section of this agreement. You agree that we may impose additional fees and commissions at any time by giving you notice as set out in the ‘Changes’ section of this agreement.
31. CHANGES
31.1 We may change any provision of this agreement at any time, including interest rates, fees, commissions, how we apply payments and benefits and services associated with the account and changes affecting your payment obligations. We will inform you of most variations in writing at least 30 days in advance of any changes to the terms unless the change is to your advantage in which case we will inform you within 30 days of the change. You will be deemed to have accepted the changes unless you notify us in writing prior to the date on which the changes will take effect that you do not accept the changes. If you do not accept any changes to this agreement, you can end this agreement immediately and at no cost before the date on which the changes will take effect, by destroying or returning to us all cards issued on your account and requesting closure of your account.
31.2 We may reduce interest rates at any time by giving you prior notice. If we increase the interest rate we will notify you at least 30 days before the change.
31.3 You have the right to opt out of an interest rate increase and continue to make payments at the existing interest rate. Please note if you elect to do this, your card will be cancelled with immediate effect. If you wish to take up this option, you must let us know within 60 days of us providing notice of the interest rate increase to you. .
31.4 A change, including an interest rate change, may be made for any valid reason including the following:
(i) by agreement with you;
(ii) to reflect a change in your financial circumstances or your credit profile, as reasonably determined by us;
(iii) to reflect the introduction or development of new systems, methods of operation, services or facilities;
(iv) to reflect a change or an expected change in market conditions, general industry practice or the cost of providing our services to our customers;
(v) to conform with or anticipate any changes in the law or taxation, or codes of practice or recommendations of the Financial Services Authority or other regulatory body;
(vi) to ensure that our business is run prudently and remains competitive;
(vii) to take account of a ruling by a court, ombudsman, regulator or similar body;
(viii) to make the terms and conditions fairer or clearer for you;
(ix) to enable us to harmonise our interest or charging arrangements; or
(x) to rectify any mistake that might be discovered in due course.
31.5 If we have made a major change or a lot of minor changes in any one year, we may give you an updated copy of this agreement or a summary of the changes.
Under this contract, the annual membership fee is due at the beginning of each membership year. Once paid, there does not appear to be any power to vary it. The circumstances in which fees are collected, or the amount of the fees (6.3) can be varied by giving notice. Additional fees can be levied (6.3), but this is not the same thing as increasing the annual membership fee once due and paid. If Amex wish to charge an additonal fee it should say so.

However this is not the contract for the cards that received the discount. That contract made specific provision for the £30 fee and the £0 and the circumstances in which they were due. Any changes to that contact will be governed by the terms of that contract, not this one. It seems to me that if Amex wish to vary the terms of that contract it will need to do so expressly, ie amend the relevant terms and give specific notice to the card holder of which terms are being amended and the effect. Hence my interest in seeing the letter that has been sent to cardholders, and whether it amends the existing contract.

Last edited by Disco Volante; Jul 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Can you post the terms and conditions that permit Amex to do this, so that we can see if this is correct?
From https://www252.americanexpress.com/i...triPremiumPlus

Originally Posted by AMEX T&Cs
6.3 We reserve the right to change the circumstances in which any of the fees or commissions on your account are charged and the amount of those fees or commissions. We will provide notice of any change as set out in the ‘Changes’ section of this agreement. You agree that we may impose additional fees and commissions at any time by giving you notice as set out in the ‘Changes’ section of this agreement.
31. CHANGES
31.1 We may change any provision of this agreement at any time, including interest rates, fees, commissions, how we apply payments and benefits and services associated with the account and changes affecting your payment obligations. We will inform you of most variations in writing at least 30 days in advance of any changes to the terms unless the change is to your advantage in which case we will inform you within 30 days of the change. You will be deemed to have accepted the changes unless you notify us in writing prior to the date on which the changes will take effect that you do not accept the changes. If you do not accept any changes to this agreement, you can end this agreement immediately and at no cost before the date on which the changes will take effect, by destroying or returning to us all cards issued on your account and requesting closure of your account.
31.3 You have the right to opt out of an interest rate increase and continue to make payments at the existing interest rate. Please note if you elect to do this, your card will be cancelled with immediate effect. If you wish to take up this option, you must let us know within 60 days of us providing notice of the interest rate increase to you. .

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.