Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amex increasing my BA Premium Plus Card Fee

Old Jun 29, 11, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Gold

I have just recieved a Letter from Amex informing me that they are increasing my annual fee for my BA Premium+ card from 30 to 150.

I've had a BA Amex Premium Plus Card for the last 8 years. I have another Amex card, so when I took it out I got a discount to the fee applied. I remember reading that a few years back they took away this discount offer but assumed it was only for new applicants - certainly they kept on charging me the 30. Apparently this was just luck for me / a slip up from amex?

To my mind, as an individual customer that puts a fair amount through their cards annually, they are ripping me off and abusing the relationship we have. Essentially putting up my fee by 400% and giving me nothing in return. The fact that they might have done it to other customers previously is not relevant to my relationship with them.

I rang amex to complain and understand why. The customer satisfaction team member told me that "The FSA have been going through our customers ensuring we are treating all customers fairly and we have found some that have slipped through the net and were not moved to the higher fee with everyone else". This sounded like BS to me, and after a bit of probing it transpired it was.

Now told I have three options: cancel card, keep card with 150 fee and recieve 100 of tesco shopping vouchers, downgrade to basic card with no fee.

Apparently becasue of my spend I'm entitled to a call back from a "Senior Vice President" to discuss my concerns.

Is this scenario familiar to anyone? What was your expereince?

Last edited by DUSBOY; Jun 29, 11 at 10:10 am
Old Jun 29, 11, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I have received the same letter.

I will ring them as well to complain. I like you spend a considerable amount with them each year and have done for the last 10 years.

Kernow
Old Jun 29, 11, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DUSBOY View Post
I have just recieved a Letter from Amex informing me that they are increasing my annual fee for my BA Premium+ card from 30 to 150.

I've had a BA Amex Premium Plus Card for the last 8 years. I have another Amex card, so when I took it out I got a discount to the fee applied. I remember reading that a few years back they took away this discount offer but assumed it was only for new applicants - certainly they kept on charging me the 30. Apparently this just luck for me / a slip up from amex?

To my mind, as an individual customer that puts a fair amount through their cards annually, they are ripping me off and abusing the relationship we have. Essentially putting up my fee by 400% and giving me nothing in return. The fact that they might have done it to other customers previously is not relevant to my relationship with them.

I rang amex to complain and understand why. The customer satisfaction team member told me that "The FSA have been going through our customers ensuring we are treating all customers fairly and we have found some that have slipped through the net and were not moved to the higher fee with everyone else". This sounded like BS to me, and after a bit of probing it transpired it was.
Now told I have three options: cancel card, keep card with 150 fee and recieve 100 of tesco shopping vouchers, downgrade to basic card with no fee.

Apparently becasue of my spend I'm entitled to a call back from "Senior Vice President" to discuss my concerns.

Is this scenario familiar to anyone? What was your expereince?
I could be in a similar situation then - my fee was 30 based on me having another amex card and been a member for many years. My membership year ends towards end of july so presume i'll get a call soon.
Old Jun 29, 11, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Thanks for the advance notification, have had this card since first launched.

At present, no letter has been received but am sure that I will get one tomorrow.

Would be good to know what the collective people think. Personally my spending habit is that I can drop to the basic card and still retain my companion voucher; but I'll loose out on the 24 months validity and the extra miles.

Shame on Amex
Old Jun 29, 11, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
This is already being given airtime In this thread - (42,000 BA Miles for 300! (NEW Amex Plat promo, ACTIVE) )
Old Jun 29, 11, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Gold
Originally Posted by GavT_london View Post
I could be in a similar situation then - my fee was 30 based on me having another amex card and been a member for many years. My membership year ends towards end of july so presume i'll get a call soon.
They are not even waiting until the membership year ends - the letter says they will refund a pro-rata of the 30 and charge a pro-rata of the 150. I wonder if the timings are a cynical move on Amex's part to reduce the number of people that cancel/walk away in disgust. The guy on the phone pointed out that I'm part way through my membership year, and I'm just about to get the 2-4-1: If I cancel the card now I lose it.
Old Jun 29, 11, 8:12 am

In my mind, 150 is a small price to pay for a fairly significant benefit of having an Amex Premium+ card.

I spend a significant chunk of money on my personal card each year - I use it wherever and whenever I can for every payment I may be making - but considering the BA Miles I get back, plus the 2for1 voucher (which is always put to seriously good use), I count it as money well spent.

Yes, I could switch to a card which doesn't cost me anything, but would I get the same level of benefits? Probably not. And are those benefits worth 150? Yes.

Would I prefer to get these benefits for 30 or less? Of course I would - but it's unlikely to happen.
Old Jun 29, 11, 8:14 am

If I receive such a letter - I will complain and it would be in our favor if others did too.
Old Jun 29, 11, 8:29 am

Complaints are worth nothing unless you vite with your feet and chop up your card.

As many will be on the way towards/hold a 2 for 1 voucher, Amex recognise they have you over a barrel. Hence the action.

Where I think you'll be more successful might be a complaint to the FSA.

They won't be best pleased to hear that Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) was cited as the reason for this change - and the are much more likely to give Amex the hoped-for headache, without you having to end your relationship wth them.

First you need to call amex and raise with them a formal "complaint" and make sure it is registered as such. Then sit back and watch the sparks fly.
Old Jun 29, 11, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
I contacted Amex who confirmed that ALL BA Premium Plus cardholders who are on the discounted rate will be receiving a letter.

I was informed that this is being implemented with a start date of September and will be pro-rate basis.

I said that I paid my annual fee in good faith and was informed 'tough'. We have the right to amend our terms and will be giving three months notice.

Same options of cancelling, paying or downgrading. I have £48 to spend until I get my companion voucher and informed that if I get my voucher, it will be valid for the downgrade (unsure about the 12/24 month rule).
Old Jun 29, 11, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
This thread reminds me of the removal of the Open Doors policy for Gold. A lot of people will be upset as it affects them, a number of those will complain and be fobbed off with some vouchers, a select few will complain further and consume some time for Amex agents.

But, in the end, the majority will realise that 150 is good value for the 2-4-1 voucher with a 2 year validity period, and the new fee will be in place for all, with minimal damage done to the Amex brand.
Old Jun 29, 11, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by oscietra View Post
Where I think you'll be more successful might be a complaint to the FSA.

They won't be best pleased to hear that Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) was cited as the reason for this change -
I disagree. Charging long-standing customers 30 over a long period of time when new customers in exactly the same position are charged 150 could easily be judged to be a failure to treat customers fairly.

Of course it's up to Amex how to remedy this. They could have chosen to apply the old rules to new customers rather than applying the new rules to old ones. And they will need to give a certain amount of notice and allow people to cancel their cards if they wish - but I suspect they are doing that.
Old Jun 29, 11, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by DUSBOY View Post
"The FSA have been going through our customers ensuring we are treating all customers fairly and we have found some that have slipped through the net and were not moved to the higher fee with everyone else". This sounded like BS to me, and after a bit of probing it transpired it was.
Can you explain in what sense your probing discovered it was "BS"? Do you mean the FSA weren't involved? How did you determine this?

100 of shopping vouchers? Sounds like a very good deal to me. I wish Amex would give me 100 of shopping vouchers for every 150 fee I've paid.

Anyway, a big ^ to Amex for levelling that playing field. I'd rather they'd level it down to a lower fee, but the grandfathering scheme they did have was absurd and unfair.
Old Jun 29, 11, 10:27 am
uk1
Suspended

The same BS offered to this group could equally apply to Plat Card holders.

It's BS because all companies treat different customers differently including banks who charge them different interest rates on their loans and mortages and for different purposes. They also offer special savings plans for kids, over 50's etc ...... I know I shouldn't have said this but who cares .......

Any Plat Card holders received such a letter yet?
Old Jun 29, 11, 10:32 am

Programs: BA : BMI : Virgin
400% increase in the annual fee

Perhaps legal but won't make good PR when shared in the right places

Search this Thread
Search Engine: