Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amex increasing my BA Premium Plus Card Fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex increasing my BA Premium Plus Card Fee

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
I challenged the increase of fee mid membership year and finally the Financial Ombudsman has upheld the complaint ^

However in the meantime (it took about 3 months) I downgraded to the basic Blue card which meant Amex issuing a new card and new account number so I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle to reinstate the Premium Plus for the remaining time left or not

Oh well a moral victory if nothing else!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:18 pm

Amex gets charged £500 for every ombudsman complaint
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jet_Lagged
I challenged the increase of fee mid membership year and finally the Financial Ombudsman has upheld the complaint ^
Well done, and congratulations!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:40 am

However in the meantime (it took about 3 months) I downgraded to the basic Blue card which meant Amex issuing a new card and new account number so I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle to reinstate the Premium Plus for the remaining time left or not

Oh well a moral victory if nothing else!
Well done! Quite right too. What did the FCO say?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:35 pm

Amex not acted fairly

Heard from the FOS today that my complaint has been successful and that AMEX will refund the increased fee. FOS found that AMEX had not acted fairly....shame they didn't listen to their customers in the first place
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:51 pm
uk1
Suspended

Great news - and exactly as predicted ....... they were truly dumb to attempt this. Unusually wrong-footed of Amex not to get to grips with this straight-away.

Hopefully some of the successful claimants can seek reassurance from Amex that they will respect the decision and refund all members who have been wrongly charged? This will close the circle and act as a disincentive for such behaviour in the future.

Well done!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Well done! Quite right too. What did the FCO say?
It was actually Amex who rang and just said the FOS had ruled in my favour so they would reinstate the card free of charge. I was at work so didn't have time to go into any more details.

I do hope Amex management have learnt this is not the way to treat customers - hopefully enough people made complaints that the message will hit home!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by uk1
Unusually wrong-footed of Amex not to get to grips with this straight-away.
I am still slightly perplexed by what has been going on. This entire episode has been out of character for Amex. And it's been entirely cost-ineffective so far as anyone who complained to the FOS is concerned, if it's true that it costs Amex £500 for every complaint when the amount at stake was an average of £60 per customer.

I wonder whether they have done this to prove some (unknown) point to some (unknown) regulator in some other (unknown) dispute.

At any rate, I'm now happy to add my name to the list of people for whom the effect of the FOS complaint has been to resolve the issue.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:05 am

It was actually Amex who rang and just said the FOS had ruled in my favour so they would reinstate the card free of charge. I was at work so didn't have time to go into any more details.

I do hope Amex management have learnt this is not the way to treat customers - hopefully enough people made complaints that the message will hit home!
I wrote to Amex and complained and asked for an explanation. That was about 2 months ago. Never had a reply
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:14 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I am still slightly perplexed by what has been going on. This entire episode has been out of character for Amex. And it's been entirely cost-ineffective so far as anyone who complained to the FOS is concerned, if it's true that it costs Amex £500 for every complaint when the amount at stake was an average of £60 per customer.

I wonder whether they have done this to prove some (unknown) point to some (unknown) regulator in some other (unknown) dispute.

At any rate, I'm now happy to add my name to the list of people for whom the effect of the FOS complaint has been to resolve the issue.
It absolutely is out of character - hence the reason why - when I said it wouldn't - many FT'ers presumed that the claim to the FOS must fail simply because they understandably couldn't conceive Amex would do something that relied on them ignoring an "unfair contract term" and that they simply seemed blind to the fact that this would inevitably be reversed.

It really is important that members who complained and had the decision reversed satisfy themselves that other members who are unaware of the decision get their money back.

The FOS fees and refunds pale into insignificance compared to the reputation hit.

Last edited by uk1; Nov 9, 2011 at 4:55 am
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Out of interest, did the FOS rule they couldn't change the fee mid-year or that Amex couldn't justify increasing it all (for only select customers).
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:02 pm

The FOS recognised that Amex had the right to vary the fee, but that it was unfair for them to make a change mid term. Their view was that customers had signed up in good faith to an annual fee and had the right to expect that this would not change until renewal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.