Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Heathrow fit for purpose?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I find SYD perfectly acceptable, but certainly nothing special. It 'works' OK, but the Arrival procedures can be time consuming, although I understand fully why the requirements are so strict. Departures is usually pretty smooth IME.

OT - Whilst I really enjoy the food at the QF F lounge, I have never been able to get a spa booking despite arriving in the lounge almost 3 hours before take off for my BA flight (no advanced booking, unlike F passengers on QF).

Also, the seating areas are not that comfortable, IMHO, and I prefer the ability to make my own drinks when required (...) rather than wait for the staff, who are often pretty busy, but always pleasant.

Great views from the spacious and pleasant lounge.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
^

Wont go near the place until they bring their laws and policies towards women, minorities etc up to western standards d
Why should the standards be based on "western"?

If you don't like it and it doesn't meet your standards, then exercise your right and don't go there.

As for people sleeping everywhere, I really don't think it is the airport's fault is it? Now using the "western standards" would it be right if the airport authorities told people that they couldn't sleep on the floor?

Yes Dubai has changed quite a bit, but so has Florida and other places, and the change isn't to my liking but I would NEVER call Florida a dump, or any other city or country, out of respect for their citizens. I would use my "western standards" and not go there. But not call a country or city by some vile names, just because I happen not to agree with it.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Simple answer: Yes. Is it perfect? No! Since consolidating *A, BA and OW along terminal lines, I've found LHR and eminently usable airport and would certainly choose it as an airport to depart from, or connect through, over CDG (too confusing, too French) and FRA (needs demolishing and rebuilding to reflect changes in European immigration since Schengen).

The only issues I've recently found with LHR are:

- Immigration in T1 and T5 not handled too well (case in point: Just one officer dealing with EU passports and people with none EU passports, some of who have short connections, simply left to hang. Solution: Summarily dismiss least able immigration officers and management, replacing with more proactive individuals)

- T5 International to Domestic connections inefficient (Solution: In the short term, just up the MCT from 60 minutes to 90 or 120 minutes, and ensure there is always someone available to deal with none EU passports).

The worst of the problems I've seen is none EU passport holders left hanging. That creates altogether the wrong first impression of both LHR and Britain.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by CT-UK
SRG.

I grew up in the ME and had no interest in Dubai until last year and now I love it. You can get the big, bright, crazy and rich and then AMAZING food at cheap prices with locals and anything you want in the middle + the vast majority of service is great.
I am sure that might be right for straight males. Otherwise....
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Looks extremely fit for purpose here:

Link
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CT-UK
SRG.

Sorry but don't think of Dubai as this just from the crap you see on TV. People from the world would think the UK is full of drunks fighting living on fish and chips or full or royalty depending on what they watch on TV.

I grew up in the ME and had no interest in Dubai until last year and now I love it. You can get the big, bright, crazy and rich and then AMAZING food at cheap prices with locals and anything you want in the middle + the vast majority of service is great.

As for the airport and this is from somebody who has never connected through DXB or LHR I find LHR (T5) miles ahead of DXB.
All very right. But did you mention trying to get a public train or taxi during the prayer time? Which is multiple daily occurence?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
The worst bit at LHR at the moment is T1, especially the low numbered gates. It's a good 15-20 minute hike to passport control.

The extension of the Euro-Pier is as long, but either way I am knackered by the time I get to the IRIS machine.

T5/T3 are pretty OK in comparison.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hsmall
Not just the gay men.

Unmarried people also have issues in Dubai. Be careful who you kiss, which for some peple is difficult after a couple of glasses of drink.

But I do agree that some countries around that region have a little way to go to start to embrace a modern world.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Wow ... classic BA Board thread drift. From a discussion about LHR to adverse comments about SYD, DBX and the local inhabitants!!

BTW, thanks bernardd for your dismissive and somewhat rude response. I'm sure you'll understand if I don't bother to reply.

Fruitcake has one of the most sensible responses. LHR started before most of you were born, massive expansion was not in anyone's mind at the time but it WAS 'state of the art'. Given a blank sheet of paper, and 50-year foresight, it might have been better today. Oh, and a vast bucket of money of course.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by C-130

I am of the belief that other airports in the area should be dealing with more traffic and have it spread a bit finer. Domestic flights (in majority cases) should be using LCY, Luton and Stansted. LHR and LGW should be mainly for international journeys. LGW possibly intra europe and LHR long haul.
This seems to echo Cameron and Clegg "speak". Cancel the third runway and build a fast rail link which one day might just get past Birmingham.
"London Airways" show no interest in the regions other than as a feeder to LHR. So if you are in GLA, EDI, ABZ the future is via connections through AMS or CDG etc
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
Fruitcake has one of the most sensible responses. LHR started before most of you were born, massive expansion was not in anyone's mind at the time but it WAS 'state of the art'. Given a blank sheet of paper, and 50-year foresight, it might have been better today. Oh, and a vast bucket of money of course.
That is the biggest problem. No one knew what technology was coming and in certain respects we stil dont. The planes in 50 years time are going to be different for certain they will have different engines.

I dont think a blank piece of paper would have helped. In the past twenty years air travel has gone from a luxury to a necessity. As seen on the other thread about the Vrigin plane!!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by hsmall
My gay buddy had a ball when we were working out there. There are well know gay haunts that are just "overlooked" by the authorities.

It's amazing the amount of prejudice people have about a place that they've never been to.

I saw a picture of Wayne Rooney in Barbados yesterday. Will everyone stop going there as it's 'full of chavs'?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by origin
Not just the gay men.

Unmarried people also have issues in Dubai. Be careful who you kiss, which for some peple is difficult after a couple of glasses of drink.

But I do agree that some countries around that region have a little way to go to start to embrace a modern world.
Well, if you decide to have a full on snog fest in an public place, then you deserve whatever you get IMO...

We expect foreigners to live by our laws, is it wrong for the UAE to expect us to abide by theirs?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Well, if you decide to have a full on snog fest in an public place, then you deserve whatever you get IMO...

We expect foreigners to live by our laws, is it wrong for the UAE to expect us to abide by theirs?
I have 2 gay friends who moved to DXB 6 months ago and are having a great time. They enjoy an active social life with like minded friends. The places they hangout are just overlooked the same was as the clubs full of Russian hookers are overlooked.

The only downside is that booze can't be served between 4pm and 6pm
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
The article might be more informative if LHR were also compared to its local competitors: AMS, CDG and FRA. And not just compared to airports in jurisdictions where governments are willing to spend seemingly unlimited amounts of cash on prestige projects such as airports.

Even in countries as "obsessed" with democracy as the Netherlands - what with its homosexuals and ladies of the night and people euphanising themselves and constant moaning about the weather - they maintain an airport that, while probably not living up the standards of Beijing and Dubai, manages to deliver quite a decent product IMHO. It has six operational runways, and there are provisional plans/desires for a seventh. The one-terminal concept is still loved by many and the airport is constantly being upgraded and expanded, resulting in facility very easy (and even enjoyable) to use despite its age. And all this in one of the most densely populated places on the planet with myriad regulation, below sea level on shifty ground with hardly any room to grow without sacrificing green space and/or room for urban expansion or valuable agricultural land.

In short, Heathrow and Schiphol face similar challenges: age, history, space constraints, noise restrictions, and pesky democratic institutions.

Comparing Dubai and Heathrow is like comparing apples and oranges in my opinion. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.