Is Heathrow fit for purpose?

Old Jun 10, 11, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Is Heathrow fit for purpose?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...r-purpose.html
Old Jun 10, 11, 6:05 am

Programs: BA silver
I thought DXB wasn't all cut out to be, slightly overrated and doesn't compare with some of the Asian airports, but that is just me and my humble opinion.

LHR these days does not have the luxury of a blank canvas and have to work within a restricted framework.

However, as for the running of the airport, it could be much better managed... here's looking at you BAA.
Old Jun 10, 11, 6:11 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Dubai is a revolting place. I'll take crappy old LHR over an uncivilised place like Dubai any day.
Old Jun 10, 11, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by meester69 View Post
Dubai is a revolting place.

Wont go near the place until they bring their laws and policies towards women, minorities etc up to western standards

Oh, and it appears to be the Chav's current favourite holiday destination...

Heathrow gets a lot of grief, but I have very few issues with it (APD being the main exception )
Old Jun 10, 11, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post

Wont go near the place until they bring their laws and policies towards women, minorities etc up to western standards
The fact its not actually in or anywhere near the "west" might play in part in that not being remotely likely....!
Old Jun 10, 11, 6:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Assuming the third runway is never built will Heathrow operate longer hours to accomodate.

It was suggested in the atricle but is it ever likely to happen?
Old Jun 10, 11, 6:33 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold plus various other pleb level air and hotel programmes
This article is demented! A quote from Paul Griffiths, head of Dubai Airports and ex-Gatwick:

"the West’s obsession with democracy does have a downside — it means there is no visionary, long-term strategy in a society that changes government every four to five years"

Yes, sily us and out "obsession" with democracy, what on earth are we playing at...

Not to mention the usual lazy journo approach of "Right, almost summer, better bash out a piece about how terrible Heathrow is".

/ rant off
Old Jun 10, 11, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
"Is Heathrow fit for purpose?". It certainly was, back in the 60's. I doubt the original planners ever envisaged the traffic growth over the subsequent 50 years, and of course there is virtually no way LHR could 'expand'. DXB, like so many other 'lucky airports' has space to play with.

This is Dubai International Airport. Terminal 3, where I am standing, covers 370 acres and has 82 moving walkways, 97 escalators and 180 check-in counters. It is the world’s largest air terminal, twice the size of our much-vaunted Terminal 5.
And how does DXB T1 compare with LHR T3? Typical selected facts to support a pre-prepared argument. The totality of LHR compared with the totality of DXB is ... ?

And the totality of London Airport is LHR + LGW + LTN + STN. Not ideal, but short of bulldozing large swathes of extant buildings to the West of London [not a bad cause in itself] there's not a realistic option. "Estuary Airport" is, IMO, a flawed and doomed white elephant concept that would cost £billions and create a surface infrastructure problem that would overshadow anything we've seen at LHR. [That's assuming the Nimbys, tree-huggers and newt-protectors ever let it happen].
Old Jun 10, 11, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heathrow is fit for purpose.

The problems starts when many airlines use LHR as a hub so in reality many more people travel through heathrow that dont actually need to. Now that BA is owned by the Spainish maybe its better they built a new hub in Spain, pleanty of very cheap land and then not have the issues that we have at Heathrow. Spain wont get the extreme cold weather as London does so when it snows not as many people will get hurt and have difficulties.
Old Jun 10, 11, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
This sloppy piece makes me wonder if the Telegraph is fit for the purpose.
Old Jun 10, 11, 7:07 am

DO I think Heathrow is fit for purpose? Yes. Do others? Possibly. Does my opinion or another person in the airport matter a lot? Nope.

So on that note I thank you Mr Telegraph for providing me some unentertaining and unimportant news to make me feel so much better this Monday when I am transiting from GLA-LHR-SFO. That there makes heathrow fit for purpose in my honest opinion.

It is big but at least the terminals you can get around from end to the other quicker than in Dubai. That said do I think refinement in the management and processes at heathrow is necessary? Yes I do.

I am of the belief that other airports in the area should be dealing with more traffic and have it spread a bit finer. Domestic flights (in majority cases) should be using LCY, Luton and Stansted. LHR and LGW should be mainly for international journeys. LGW possibly intra europe and LHR long haul.

I from an airline point of view do not see the value in establishing at LHR now. Or perhaps BA, BD and other airlines should use the regionals more. If TC, EK etc can achieve it the British flag carrier should. That would relieve tension at LHR and make T5 n even more thrilling experience.
Old Jun 10, 11, 8:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post

Oh, and it appears to be the Chav's current favourite holiday destination...
If you won't go there, how do you know it's full of Chavs?
Old Jun 10, 11, 8:27 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
If you won't go there, how do you know it's full of Chavs?
Because the Daily Mail has pictures of the Rooney clan there every second week

Like anywhere it can have chavs there and a lot more, I love the place now and you can easliy avoid any chavs with cash.
Old Jun 10, 11, 11:05 am

Am I missing something, did anyone expect the people dependant on the success of Dubai over LHR to say anything else? "oh yes, LHR is wonderful. T5 really beats us hands down...." would have been a bit of career limiter for either of them.
Old Jun 10, 11, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Stez View Post
I thought DXB wasn't all cut out to be, slightly overrated and doesn't compare with some of the Asian airports, but that is just me and my humble opinion.

LHR these days does not have the luxury of a blank canvas and have to work within a restricted framework.

However, as for the running of the airport, it could be much better managed... here's looking at you BAA.

I find DXB one of the better airports for originating and for connecting at and miles ahead of LHR ( which I do my best to avoid ) plus the 1st/business annexe for check in at T3 is excellent. Singapore pretty much is the airport which I like most for connecting though rarely connect there these days

That LHR is constricted by position is irrelevent; Heathrow (ime) is better than connecting in the USA but still a poor airport

Search this Thread