Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Heathrow fit for purpose?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
LHR is not fit for purpose as transit passengers are a key part of BA's business just as they are for any other airline. Ultimately these passengers are necessary and if they were not carried airlines would be forced to offer a more limited range of destinations at higher fares.

vla had the right idea about an airport for London in this thread.

Originally Posted by vla
Learn the lessons from the privatisation of the former British Airports Authority and British Rail. Build it at the Channel Tunnel entrance, have every Eurostar stop at the station, build and/or connect alternate rail routes from all parts of London, have four parallel runways running roughly north-east to south-west (to take advantage of prevailing winds) and two parallel runways at 90 degree angles. Space the runways more than a mile apart, make them 14000x200, CAT III ILS autoland throughout, design the taxiways intelligently and minded for growth, replicate T5/Stansted's airy aesthetics throughout the airfield, and be sure to make it expensive to arrive and depart. Kick BAA's retail model to the kerb.

Then simultaneously close Heathrow and Gatwick, redevelop those sites into housing and commercial (like Denver did with Stapleton Airport), funnel secondary traffic through Luton and Stansted and then get to work on building High Speed Two, High Speed Three and High Speed Four.

And call the damn thing Winston Churchill International Airport.

Simple.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tim Clark's comments about traffic between Shanghai and Cote d'Ivoire are prescient.

The reason EK, EY and QR exist is not really to serve Europe, although they do, but to serve the booming economies in africa, the indian subcontinent and the far east.

If only 1% of the population of China and India start flying longhaul once a year then that is 25 million passengers.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
Am I missing something, did anyone expect the people dependant on the success of Dubai over LHR to say anything else? "oh yes, LHR is wonderful. T5 really beats us hands down...." would have been a bit of career limiter for either of them.
Well quite. We aren't entirely bovvered are we, if people fly through here or not. Whereas for the good (?) folk of Dubai, the entire house/indoor ski slope/ridiculous manmade islands built on the sand depends on it.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by meester69
Well quite. We aren't entirely bovvered are we, if people fly through here or not. Whereas for the good (?) folk of Dubai, the entire house/indoor ski slope/ridiculous manmade islands built on the sand depends on it.
I wouldn't go as far as not really bothered, but you make a good point. What is Dubai actually for, apart from the airport?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adrianjc32
What is Dubai actually for, apart from the airport?
It is quite a convenient place to eat pork if you live in Qatar.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
What he said!!

"An airport does not a Nation make" [copyright T8191, 2011].

The Eastern half of the Planet can do many things, but flying Europe to North America isn't one of them.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by meester69
Dubai is a revolting place. I'll take crappy old LHR over an uncivilised place like Dubai any day.

The Benidorm of the Middle East. Wouldn't go there if you paid me now.

So glad I went 20+ years ago before it became an overdeveloped dump.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The comparisons with HKG,SIN,BJS,DXB are a bit too obvious and unfair. Chuck enough money at something and it's bound to be bigger and better.
My guess is that most of those airports were funded by Government money.....one way or another.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I find DXB one of the better airports for originating and for connecting at and miles ahead of LHR ( which I do my best to avoid ) plus the 1st/business annexe for check in at T3 is excellent. Singapore pretty much is the airport which I like most for connecting though rarely connect there these days

That LHR is constricted by position is irrelevent; Heathrow (ime) is better than connecting in the USA but still a poor airport
Admittedly I did not use DXB as a connection airport (yet) and only used it for arriving and departing once but I thought I landed on Amsterdam's Voolderbaan - taxi time I thought was a bit long. I didn't mind the long walk to immigration, I could do with getting rid of my third chin anyway

On departing DXB... check-in process was diabolical starting with the huge queues for pre-screening prior to check-in. After check-in, another security point with big queues but not as bad as the initial one. I couldn't tell you which terminals I used - Emirates in, Qatar out.

LHR is constrained by position and mis-management - noise limits, snow (where to even put the cleared snow?), runways, available space to do improve things - everything has to be improved in-situ with the space available. All this and other unseen consequences are relevant to the passenger experience at the end of the day.

T5 is a good start, I've come to like using T5 for connections/origin/departure and am personally keen to see how the refurbished terminals fare.

I agree with you about Singapore... SIN is my favourite, it is just so easy, even on my first visit.

I am amused by the Torygraph comments appearing to praise Charles de Gaulle!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
vla had the right idea about an airport for London in this thread.
^ Great idea! Now who's going to pay for it?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
The comparisons with HKG,SIN,BJS,DXB are a bit too obvious and unfair. Chuck enough money at something and it's bound to be bigger and better.
My guess is that most of those airports were funded by Government money.....one way or another.
How its paid for and how much it cost is surely irrelevent to a commentary on how the airport is for the passenger; what matters is what the airport is like for a passenger and I don't see how it is unfair

The UK could, if it wanted to, invest money in setting up a high quality airport like some other countries have done
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:59 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
LHR is not fit for purpose as transit passengers are a key part of BA's business just as they are for any other airline.
[passes the pork scratchings, bacon rolls and sausage butties over, thanks]

Churchill International. You know you want it. You know it makes sense.

Boris, I'm in town for the next few weeks. Give me a call.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:04 am

How its paid for and how much it cost is surely irrelevent to a commentary on how the airport is for the passenger; what matters is what the airport is like for a passenger and I don't see how it is unfair
Because all the article does is just state the flippin' obvious I would have thought.
If they had compared LHR to CDG, FRA, AMS then there would have been a more level playing field. As it is LHR compares pretty favourable with those airports I would say.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Yes it is fit for purpose by and large, although there are areas for improvement, which are being worked on.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The UK could, if it wanted to, invest money in setting up a high quality airport like some other countries have done
As the UK is as broke as the USA, we won't start discussing how we could pay for it.

However, after that sweeping statement, please advise the UK where it should place this airport of yours. I'm sure you're completely familiar with the extant infrastructure, the vast empty prairies where we could build it and the potential cost of connecting "Dave International" to the rest of the UK.

It would be interesting to hear your solution ... it has evaded UK Governments for decades.

Over to you ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.