Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT, but British and LHR-related: The Stanwell Hotel near LHR.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

Having laughed hysterically this morning at the prices some of the LHR hotels are charging for a night's sleep, we widened our search from the usual culprits along the Bath Road/M4 and found this ... The Stanwell Hotel.

A mile or so from the SW corner of LHR, and the prices and facilities seem excellent value. A pre-booked mini-cab to T5 [and the others] should be around 10. Most of the reviews I've read seem pretty positive.

Has anyone here any experience of, or heard anything about, The Stanwell?
Old May 31, 2011, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Don't like the look of the ghastly furnishings or the hellish decor and the prices aren't exactly cheap.

Better value to be had on Bath Road......Priceline for the Marriott/Sheraton etc.
Old May 31, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY

Better value to be had on Bath Road......Priceline for the Marriott/Sheraton etc.
For once I agree with HIDDY. For example the Sheraton Heathrow has rooms for approx GBP60 incl taxes at the weekend.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
For once I agree with HIDDY. For example the Sheraton Heathrow has rooms for approx GBP60 incl taxes at the weekend.
... but when travelling mid-week

That has been the bu66eration of this morning's exploration. Mid-week, especially around our date, places like Sofitel and others are talking >200. That's borrocks for an overnight room.

Sheraton was c.120, or 154 for a decent-sized room. A slight twitch about how much they charge for dinner to a captive audience ... we usually do Sofitel/M&S carryout and a bottle ]. We'll re-visit the Sheraton site to validate perspectives.

Thanks for the thoughts, Gents. ^
Old May 31, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
How about South or East of LHR, either the St Giles at Feltham or Jurys Inn at Hatton Cross?
Old May 31, 2011, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
How about South or East of LHR, either the St Giles at Feltham or Jurys Inn at Hatton Cross?
Noted, but not particularly impressed.

Really wanting to be close to T5 for the morning flight. Just curious about the Stanwell, rather than launching off into the distance if you see what I mean.

BTW, I was a local lad [Richmond] and lived and worked around LHR for a few decades. I know the general territory!
Old May 31, 2011, 11:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

What dates are you looking for?
Old May 31, 2011, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
What dates are you looking for?
Just the one night ... 14 Sep.

Having done the last one at the T5 Sofitel [as usual] at <100, this trip is >200. Obviously a conference or something.

I just resent shredding 100, and the Stanwell looks interesting [as opposed to plastic airport mega-chain]. Perhaps a detailed TR if we decide to try it; when you look at the rooms at all the others, they're virtually identical and we're spending 75% of the time sleeping anyway!!
[ETA c. 1500, taxi to T5 at 0800 in the morning].
Old May 31, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by T8191

BTW, I was a local lad [Richmond] and lived and worked around LHR for a few decades. I know the general territory!
If Surbiton isn't considered too far away I believe PUCCI GALORE is offering B&B at very reasonable rates.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: BA bronze
Ah...I used to drink in the hotel 30 years ago, granted I was only 8 and was on the orange juice. But the bar in there was a watering hole of the old mans. Pre revamp you would have said Fawlty Towers was based on the hotel... Nice pub round the corner though.

Old May 31, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Speedbird218
Ah...I used to drink in the hotel 30 years ago, granted I was only 8 and was on the orange juice. But the bar in there was a watering hole of the old mans. Pre revamp you would have said Fawlty Towers was based on the hotel... Nice pub round the corner though.
Thanks for the hot information!!

Re-built and re-launched last year. It looks like I'm going to get no current info here ... I'm tempted to take a punt and see what happens.
The Stanwell Hotel Heathrow was temporarily rebranded and was operated by Penny, Kate and Sue of The Hotel Collection Ltd for a further 13 months whilst planning permission was secured. The Stanwell closed in September 2008 for a multi-million refurbishment and extension and opened again in May 2010 with 52 bedrooms and suites.
Well ... you have to take a chance sometimes, and a bog-standard airport hotel is just sooooo interesting!
Old May 31, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by T8191
Thanks for the hot information!!

Re-built and re-launched last year. It looks like I'm going to get no current info here ... I'm tempted to take a punt and see what happens.

Well ... you have to take a chance sometimes, and a bog-standard airport hotel is just sooooo interesting!
Next up from me...

1. A trip report on my Concorde flight, with some tips on maximising your Concorde experience.

2. A guide to the best F class seats on a BOAC 707-200

Old May 31, 2011, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whats wrong with a travelodge?

Or am I being silly.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Stanwell is a bit rough. My office is nearby on the southern perimeter road so i often drive through to pop over to Tesco or wherever. Wouldn't fancy a night there. There's a decent-looking, though only half-built, new Holiday Inn Express about a mile from my flat in Langley that i believe is calling itself HIX - T5. Heathrow 7 Series bus 78 to T5 stops over the street and takes 5 mins to T5. Might be worth a look.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:23 pm

We booked two rooms (six people) for a night in the Comfort Hotel, not far from LHR. Two rooms plus transportation for six people (round trip) too and from the airport was 164.83. Hopefully it isn't too seedy, the reviews I found were fine, but I thought that the price was reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.