Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 11:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Look no further than this forum.
I didn't realize BA gold-digging was that successful? Care to share how you succeeded?
Old May 24, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even 20GBP fares in WT+ between the US and Europe and back wouldn't pull that off in any useful way even if for some reason in love with LHR enough to put up with a connection that involves the additional dog and pony "security" show which would otherwise be avoidable if connecting elsewhere or taking a non-stop flight not operated by BA.
Truth.
Old May 24, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I suggest that if GCHs want to be heard, this is the way to do it. Lets be honest, BA's customer service probably get hundreds of emails each day where people are threatening to leave because of various things. I bet most don't follow through with it.

So, if you have a flight already booked with BA and want to be heard, cancel it and rebook it with a competitor. Then, let BA know; give them the booking reference. They now have hard and fast figures on what their policy change is costing them.

Lost revenue speaks more volume that threats. Threats don't cost BA anything.
If you cancel a flight already booked and paid for, expect to wait up to 10 weeks for your refund. This happened to me when they cancelled a flight - they made me buy a new ticket for another day because my old ticket was non changeable!
Old May 24, 2011, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
What is new is that OW is getting larger and this is the reason, or excuse for BA's action here. Perhaps BA is worried about the impact of Air Berlin? In any case, they shouldn't shut down the whole system in fear. Just make some slight adjustments.
AirBerlin? Certainly not. They have a low number of GoldCard holders considering they do not have any meaningful long distance network and you get 125 miles on most of their cheap and 500 miles on most of their more expensive fares and need 40k for a GoldCard
Old May 24, 2011, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Horris
But if you don't rate either the BA product or service above the competition then I don't understand why you would bother to fly BA in the first place.
Easy: A huge European carrier uses the slogan "There is no better way to fly". Most carriers are quite similar. For me it is a decision based on schedule and price and not on the wonderful product offererd by LH or BA.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have remained silent during the evolution of this thread but

As a UK GCH I dont not get any value out of the this benefit

I have never used open doors

If I had to chase 600 tier points to get silver or 1500 to get gold its a no brainer

BA on their website do not explain the differencies so why would anybody chase gold????

When you look you now get the same
Old May 24, 2011, 6:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Well, as a newly minted GCH, I can say that I won't be flying with BA anymore*

*cos my US assignment has just finished, and I'll now be in London

Cheers,
Rick
Old May 25, 2011, 12:04 am

Not sure if it's already been mentioned. But the open doors policy didn't even apply to Gallerias First. You could only enter Gallerias Club under it, even as a GCH. It just seems really petty of BA to remove it... I doubt it cost that much to maintain.

As stated by previous posters replacing with a voucher system (perhaps 3 or 5 per year) would have been a far more reasonable way to go. I never once used this benefit personally but it was nice to know it was there if I ever needed it. Something that made me feel good about BA!

As for the way the email is worded. That just makes me red with anger. At least they could have been up front and honest in the email.

Another great way for BA to further destroy goodwill with their top customers in my opinion.
Old May 25, 2011, 1:17 am

I understand that BA has been conducting more customer surveys, and has detected a dissatisfaction in the lack of availability of reward flights on certain routes. This is because passengers have been saving too many BA miles and demand is now too great to be accommodated. BA has taken into account our concerns, and to remedy this situation has decided in the near future to withdraw the Gold Tier Bonus. In future Gold Card Holders will earn the same BA miles as any other passengers, and thus the bottlenecks will be eliminated. An email to this effect will be sent shortly.
Old May 25, 2011, 2:02 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by onchanman
I understand that BA has been conducting more customer surveys, and has detected a dissatisfaction in the lack of availability of reward flights on certain routes. This is because passengers have been saving too many BA miles and demand is now too great to be accommodated. BA has taken into account our concerns, and to remedy this situation has decided in the near future to withdraw the Gold Tier Bonus. In future Gold Card Holders will earn the same BA miles as any other passengers, and thus the bottlenecks will be eliminated. An email to this effect will be sent shortly.
They already have - golds get the same as silvers
Old May 25, 2011, 2:58 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
News made it to AU this morning: http://www.ausbt.com.au/british-airw...requent-flyers

This is a bit funny: Virgin Australia (aka Virgin Blue) opened their doors to QF Emeralds and Sapphires: http://www.ausbt.com.au/exclusive-vi...requent-flyers - their Lounges look truly impressive.
Old May 25, 2011, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Withdraw the Gold Tier bonus? Really? The 100% tier bonus that both Gold and Silver get?

Source please.

I believe you've either misunderstood something you've read or heard, or you are on a wind-up mission.
Old May 25, 2011, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.... or you are on a wind-up mission.
Ding Ding.
Old May 25, 2011, 3:29 am

Withdraw the Gold Tier bonus? Really? The 100% tier bonus that both Gold and Silver get?

Source please.

I believe you've either misunderstood something you've read or heard, or you are on a wind-up mission.
Wind up mission!
Old May 25, 2011, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Wind up mission!
I was 99% confident that would be the case, but wanted to leave open the 1% chance that you were simply naive and stupid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.