Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why do we have to put up with the Daily Fail?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do we have to put up with the Daily Fail?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:03 pm

Removed

Last edited by Murdoch; Apr 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm Reason: The Mail's not worth it.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Could I ask why you're being so insulting when people disagree with you?
Oh dear, yet another thread where the sense of perspective is yet again lost from the same people over a flippant comment on an Internet forum - you, your friend in Argentina and my fellow fenman.

To dredge up old nonsense from past threads, look up the meaning of vile in a dictionary, and to trawl through my old posts to try and find some sort of ammunition to further criticise a throwaway Tongue-in-cheek remark is not much short of lunacy.

I'm not going to apologise for my forthright views on the Daily Mail, although i did temper that by following it with a statement that there are doubtless exceptions. Presumably those that are still taking some sort of offence don't in fact consider themselves as said exceptions.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Thank you for responding.

Clearly you think it's your way or the highway. That is, of course, your choice to make but frankly to insult me and others on here is not contributing to the community spirit that exists here.

I just wonder why you continue to contribute if you think so many of us are "vile".

Your earlier comment calling Mail readers "vile" certainly did NOT come across as tongue in cheek, but an insult. It seems that only now are you saying it's tongue in cheek because of others disagreeing with you.

BTW - VIZ is not a newspaper, it's an adult comic.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:11 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Panda4
I'm not going to apologise for my forthright views on the Daily Mail, although i did temper that by following it with a statement that there are doubtless exceptions. Presumably those that are still taking some sort of offence don't in fact consider themselves as said exceptions.
In an ironic way your tongue-in-cheek and sweepingly generalised posts with respect to Mail readers mirrors exactly the way that people seem to find so objectionable about the way that the Mail expresses themselves.

To me you sound like a Mail reader.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum
I must say that I do not really read newspapers, I usually read everything electronically via the web, I will not pay a subscription though.

When I do pick up a paper it is the Times or the Telegraph.

Sometimes in T5 I have noticed that there are hardly any papers left in the racks, apart from the Mail and the Independent.

I wonder how many papers BA get through in a year, there are usually piles of them collected in the T5 lounges by the cleaning staff which are just thrown away, must cost a fortune!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by T8191

Hey, people, this has really got a bit needlessly beeetchy.
Couldn't agree more. A great shame.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Yes, the Mail does court a lot of controversy but it does serve a demographic and should be put into perspective. Whether or not you like the Mail does IMHO boil down to a very simple question:

DO YOU WANT TO BE TOLD HOW TO THINK?

If your answer is yes, then you may be Thinking Impaired; the politically correct term for a common condition formerly known as Hard of Thinking. If this is the case than the Mail is a good option.

If your answer is no, there are other options to consider including The Guardian, The Telegraph, The Independent and The Sun*, which all have their own viewpoints without being trying too hard to make up your mind for you**.

If your answer is "I don't know, but I think all Muslims are terrorists," then The Star comes highly recommended.

* Some very independent minded readers have elevated themselves, intellectually, to a level where only tits and football will do.

** With the notable exception of Polly Toynbee opinion pieces in The Guardian.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:15 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Panda4
Couldn't agree more. A great shame.
I think he's talking about you
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by Mr Enigma
I wonder how many papers BA get through in a year, there are usually piles of them collected in the T5 lounges by the cleaning staff which are just thrown away, must cost a fortune!
Maybe BA have turned to using stoves for winter heating!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut
Yes, the Mail does court a lot of controversy but it does serve a demographic and should be put into perspective. Whether or not you like the Mail does IMHO boil down to a very simple question:

DO YOU WANT TO BE TOLD HOW TO THINK?

If your answer is yes, then you may be Thinking Impaired; the politically correct term for a common condition formerly known as Hard of Thinking. If this is the case than the Mail is a good option.
Oooooh careful there...
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Wink

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yes, but then the newspaper preferences of the UK population are very stratified, and the vast majority of DM readers do not fit the typical socio-demographic profile of BA lounge visitors. Plus at that rate they might as well have gone for the Sun. This is not a statement of taste/distaste but there is a very obvious 'right wing bias' in BA's choice of newspapers: apart from the Independent, everything else you find (DM, DT, T) is between rather and very right wing. I'd rather the choice were DT, Times, Independent, Guardian, and FT but I guess it would simply be more expensive.
interesting comparison re The Sun, as using the Mail/Hate/Fail ect as shorthand for certain thing i.e. a lower middle class south east england suburban worldview reminds me very much of attitudes towards the Sun in the 80s.

still, instantly pigeonholing and ascribing social status is what us British excel at. we are so good at it you can do it by watching someone pick up a newspaper, no need to even interact with them.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:21 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by cat 35
interesting comparison re The Sun, as using the Mail/Hate/Fail ect as shorthand for certain thing i.e. a lower middle class south east england suburban .....
Sadly - it is the way that many inarticulate people without any cogent argument feel is the only way left for them to pursue a pointless argument.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by uk1
In an ironic way your tongue-in-cheek and sweepingly generalised posts with respect to Mail readers mirrors exactly the way that people seem to find so objectionable about the way that the Mail expresses themselves.

To me you sound like a Mail reader.

But then this thread is a joy for all the contradictory positions people have posted in it. Take for example origin's moving viewpoint:
Originally Posted by origin
What I find offensive more than anything else, is that some people think its acceptable to tell, or even consider to tell other people what to read.
Great approach. But...
The indepenedant isnt read by anyone.
However it does also point out that the other newsapers are a waste of time.
Work hard at school then read a real newspaper like the Telegraph or the DM
You can tell the quality of a man by the fact he reads the Telegraph.
(in fairness, anyone who reads a Telegraph, Independent or Guardian is likely to be more interesting than a Mail or Sun reader, since reading the first three involves actually thinking and not being spoon-fed pap and biased nonsense - this is of course my not so humble opinion )

Sorry origin to pick on you a bit, I just had to laugh at how, after your first sterling statement, you then went onto tell the rest of us exactly what we should be reading
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
As the gorgeous Phil the Flyer once said, it's also one of the few papers always available overseas for expats ...
Clearly expats don't see the irony in reading a newspaper that demonizes immigration.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Zamoyska
Clearly expats don't see the irony in reading a newspaper that demonizes immigration.
As someone who's lived and worked overseas I don't that even comes into it. It's more a case of a link with home and to see what's happening there. In popular European destinations such as France, Spain, etc you can buy almost every British newspaper. But the further away you get from Europe the less choice you have of an English newspaper to buy. When I lived in the US the Mail was all there was. Nowadays there is more of a choice.

As for immigration that's a different subject, but I don't need the Mail to tell me what I see at work every day with my own eyes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.