Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seat wrongly taken by someone else...again!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat wrongly taken by someone else...again!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by pinworm
I would say "no" and nothing else. Too bad for them.
And quite bad for you with having a middle person stuck in each of your rows.

Let's turn this one around. When selecting your seats you notice that seats B are taken in both rows 2 & 3. Would you go ahead and book 2AC and 3AC. I don't think so...

You're better off letting them sit together in say 2AB and then having 2C and all of row 3ABC all to yourself. So why not help yourself out too?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:06 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by andset1191
Here's a tricky different scenario.

Mummy, Daddy, Brother and andset1191 himself all travelling.

We have seats 2AC and 3AC LGW - GLA, first few rows in CE formation.

We board, and find the seats in ET formation rather than CE formation. This is unexpected and the seat map at OLCI was for CE seating.

A man and wife appear with seats 2B and 3B. They immediately sit down and ask me to move.
* We have Aisle/Window & Aisle/Window
* They have Middle & Middle

They want me to move to middle so we go 3 and 1 when we wanted 2 and 2 so they can sit together. What would you do?
If they asked politely, I'd tell them no politely. If they demanded, I'd tell them to pi$$ off.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Jet Ranger

I didn't have the heart to say to him - sorry honey, she's not my type...
If only he'd been seated with your other half, you could have responded in kind .

Or a: "Well perhaps you'd like to trade seats with her, just to make sure everything stays appropriate," while seductively licking your lips would have gotten the point across .
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aster
And quite bad for you with having a middle person stuck in each of your rows.

Let's turn this one around. When selecting your seats you notice that seats B are taken in both rows 2 & 3. Would you go ahead and book 2AC and 3AC. I don't think so...

You're better off letting them sit together in say 2AB and then having 2C and all of row 3ABC all to yourself. So why not help yourself out too?
The question assumes I need to book more than one seat. I rarely do, and when I do, I don't care if they are next to each other. It will not kill mrs. pinworm and myself to be seaparated. I never assume an empty middle.

Their being seaparated is not my problem, nor is it the end of the world.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:37 am

Programs: DL DM
I always board early as I like to get all my things for the flight spread out and not have a problem with overhead bins space (though this really isn't a problem, I just like to get there early). If anyone was in my seat, I would definitely ask cabin crew for help to sort it out.

Slightly OT - was on a BA LH from LHR a few months ago - a passenger in Y apparently made a nasty comment about the state of the plane and the seats. He was in an exit row - apparently then became quite abusive. CC asked him to move as she was not comfortable with him in an exit row in case of an emergency. He refused point blank. Plane was off gate already and taxiing.
Plane was pulled over and after a long wait Police boarded and removed the pax (albeit very calmly). They also had to remove the CC in question for a complaint to be filed apparently. So, it can get to that I guess.
It did result in a 4 hour wait for us on the plane at a remote location though as his bag was offloaded and we waited for a replacement CC.

Of course, this is an extreme example, he must have been extremely abusive to get to this point (apparently and thankfully not physically though).
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We board, and find the seats in ET formation rather than CE formation. This is unexpected and the seat map at OLCI was for CE seating.

A man and wife appear with seats 2B and 3B. They immediately sit down and ask me to move.

They want me to move to middle so we go 3 and 1 when we wanted 2 and 2 so they can sit together. What would you do?

If you are not needing to have conversations across the person in B , then just stay wheere you are and let them have their middle seats. If you want to converse , then shuffle as desired

Dave
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Irubi
I always board early as I like to get all my things for the flight spread out and not have a problem with overhead bins space (though this really isn't a problem, I just like to get there early). If anyone was in my seat, I would definitely ask cabin crew for help to sort it out.

Slightly OT - was on a BA LH from LHR a few months ago - a passenger in Y apparently made a nasty comment about the state of the plane and the seats. He was in an exit row - apparently then became quite abusive. CC asked him to move as she was not comfortable with him in an exit row in case of an emergency. He refused point blank. Plane was off gate already and taxiing.
Plane was pulled over and after a long wait Police boarded and removed the pax (albeit very calmly). They also had to remove the CC in question for a complaint to be filed apparently. So, it can get to that I guess.
It did result in a 4 hour wait for us on the plane at a remote location though as his bag was offloaded and we waited for a replacement CC.

Of course, this is an extreme example, he must have been extremely abusive to get to this point (apparently and thankfully not physically though).
Sounds like a CC on a power trip. If the investigation concludes such then I think she should bear full responsibility for the delay.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:33 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JumboD
Sounds like a CC on a power trip. If the investigation concludes such then I think she should bear full responsibility for the delay.

so it's perfectly ok for a passenger to be abusive?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:50 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
hi all,
Just curious if this is just me, or it happens regularly...
I fly BA 209/208 every 3 weeks back n forth between MIA and LHR and have my routine down to a tee, and I'm the sort of flyer who likes to board last minute...
I always book 64K - never take a different seat - I use expert flyer to check its free before I book my flights.
I'd say 6 times out of 10, someone is already in 64K when I board.
The looks I get go from -
1. Well, I'm with my wife/husband in 64J so we knew you'd not mind
2. I thought everyone was on board so I decided to take the seat
3. Are you sure - I'm in this seat - look my boarding pass shows....erm...64A/J etc etc and then lots of huffing and puffing when I suggest they move to their correct seat.

Its become annoying! to the point where the other Mr Jetranger hates me saying - can we board early - I'm fed up of someone being in my seat when I board.

Now as climbing the stairs I shoot a look backwards and see if anyone is in my seat, and if someone is, I hand my boarding pass over to the crew member at the top of the stairs and politely say - could you confirm this is my correct seat... and let the evil looks and daggers fly.

Before anyone whinges, and says I should be flex and let separated couples sit together, I'd be more flex if they asked me after I sit down, not take my seat and assume I'd be ok...
and the other Mr Jetranger has 62K - his favourite seat - we don't sit together - we spend our entire lives together - its our chillout time where we are most comfortable and able to sleep.

It happened to me again last week, and just curious if anyone else experiences seat stealers and how they deal with the situation and had any obnoxious people who've been difficult in giving back your seat!!
I agree with your point of view : it is the minimum of politeness and courtesy that they should have.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Blue, A12 Cars Gold, Harmonicande Vintners Platinum!
Originally Posted by JumboD
Rubbige! You don't want a non-cooperative passenger in an exit row.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, QR Silver, HH Diamond
I'd be more flex if they asked me after I sit down, not take my seat and assume I'd be ok...
Got it in one. No Jet Ranger it's not just you, I reckon 25% of my flights have an interloper. I don't even bat an eyelid and they move on, I think you have been very unlucky with this ignorant pig and his wife.

My policy is NEVER to swop - regardless of circumstance - if they simply plonk themselves there. OTOH if they ask sweetly then who knows, we are all civilised beings after all. I once even gave up 62K to someone who asked extremely nicely; she was young and beautiful, and it was worth it to feel like an old sugar daddy for 30 seconds.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:02 am

Programs: MUCCI
Angry

To me it all depends on how I am asked....

I am really big fan of 2K in the 747. I always grab it as soon as I make my booking (although with the NF 1K is perhaps better...) and I reasonably expect to sit there.

One one or 2 occasions there have been couples that have been split up all over the cabin (once 4EF and 5EF are gone) and if they ask politely etc then am usually happy to move for them - often much to the gratitude of the cabin crew - everyone feels happy in the cabin - I can always go in 2K another day etc etc etc.

If someone assumed they could have my seat - or worse - was sitting in it when I boarded then I would just dig my heels in and insist I had my seat. I'd pretty quickly be off to the CSD if it could not be resolved. It is fine to ask but you cannot just assume that I will not mind - that is not British and terribly bad manners!!!!!!!!!!!

FD
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:35 am

Programs: You mean the cards at the bottom of my desk drawer? BAEC, FB, BA PP Amex, LHW...never any status...
My girlfriend and I often book A/C in ET, but - being reasonable people - we value sitting together more than having a window or aisle seat, particularly as (it seems) my shoulder makes a particularly comfy and sleep-inducing pillow. So we'll usually give the B passenger the choice of the window or aisle and take the other two seats.

On our most recent flight A & C were gone in the first row of ET, so we bagged D & F and assumed we'd get an E passenger, although of course you never know. Well, an E passenger did arrive, and he had obviously been drinking just a wee bit - he did a good job of trying to act sober but holding a lit match near his mouth would have resulted in a fireball. He quite happily took the window seat, was asleep maybe 30 seconds after fastening his seat-belt and didn't wake up till we landed at LHR. I'd been worried when he rocked up but in the end this sozzled chappie was one of the best seatmates we've ever had!

Last edited by Esharpest; Apr 9, 2011 at 5:50 am
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold

When I flew JER-LGW-JER last weekend this exact thing happened to us. We were on 3 days before departure to get the AC seats at the front, then we went onto OLCI to get our boarding passes. We board the A319 to LGW and our 7AC were not the first row- 5AC were!! You can imagine that we were pretty annoyed about this on a completely full flight when someone is in the middle seat! We also had 7AC on the return flight which was on a 734, 3 days before departure we had 7AC and then 24 hours before I checked in on my BlackBerry, they were still the first row and when we got to the CE bag drop at LGW we get told that 6AC/DEF were now the first row. The helpful check in man got us 6C/D which was fine for us, but a little annoying as I do prefer a window seat.

Not a massive deal on such a short flight but a bit irritating! This has never happened to us before! Could have been worse though- my Dad got sent a survey about the outbound flight, mentioned the seat problem and they surprisingly sent an email a day later giving us 5000 BA miles each... we never expected compensation either and were very positive about everything else... ^
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:30 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I'm wondering if it has ever happened to anyone that the FA takes the side of the poacher and just tells you to take the poacher's seat instead. Do you have any rights, or would you just have to obey the FA?
As I reported years ago on some other thread on the topic of seat stealers, I had a (more polite) version of this happen to me once on BA. Flying TATL in F I boarded to find a stereotypically fluffy old lady in my seat surrounded by purses, pillows, blankets etc. and being tended to by a matronly member of cabin crew who said something along the lines of "Oh you must be Mr. CCayley, I was sure you would be a gentleman and allow this lady to have this seat so I've moved you over there" [points to less private and desirable F seat].

At the time I felt I had little option but to impersonate a 'gentleman' as I assumed the service I would get if I had kicked up a fuss would have been roughly zero, and I wasn't sure whether crew have the authority randomly to shift someone if they feel like it anyway.

When I mentioned this the last time, BA crew posting here (including IIRC the wonderful Pucci herself!) were generally shocked at the crewmember's behaviour, but as I say, I didn't feel I had a lot of choice in the situation....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.