FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Seat wrongly taken by someone else...again!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1203540-seat-wrongly-taken-someone-else-again.html)

Jet Ranger Apr 8, 2011 3:42 pm

Seat wrongly taken by someone else...again!!

hi all,
Just curious if this is just me, or it happens regularly...
I fly BA 209/208 every 3 weeks back n forth between MIA and LHR and have my routine down to a tee, and I'm the sort of flyer who likes to board last minute...
I always book 64K - never take a different seat - I use expert flyer to check its free before I book my flights.
I'd say 6 times out of 10, someone is already in 64K when I board.
The looks I get go from -
1. Well, I'm with my wife/husband in 64J so we knew you'd not mind
2. I thought everyone was on board so I decided to take the seat
3. Are you sure - I'm in this seat - look my boarding pass shows....erm...64A/J etc etc and then lots of huffing and puffing when I suggest they move to their correct seat.

Its become annoying! to the point where the other Mr Jetranger hates me saying - can we board early - I'm fed up of someone being in my seat when I board.

Now as climbing the stairs I shoot a look backwards and see if anyone is in my seat, and if someone is, I hand my boarding pass over to the crew member at the top of the stairs and politely say - could you confirm this is my correct seat... and let the evil looks and daggers fly.

Before anyone whinges, and says I should be flex and let separated couples sit together, I'd be more flex if they asked me after I sit down, not take my seat and assume I'd be ok...
and the other Mr Jetranger has 62K - his favourite seat - we don't sit together - we spend our entire lives together - its our chillout time where we are most comfortable and able to sleep.

It happened to me again last week, and just curious if anyone else experiences seat stealers and how they deal with the situation and had any obnoxious people who've been difficult in giving back your seat!!

PaulN Apr 8, 2011 3:46 pm

I'd say your approach is just right - definitely better to get the crew to sort it out. Some people seem to be shameless in grabbing whatever seat they want.

FlyerTalker6245 Apr 8, 2011 3:47 pm

What did wifey who stole your 64K actually have?

HIDDY Apr 8, 2011 3:47 pm

Turf them out.....rude people don't deserve to benefit.

BingBongBoy Apr 8, 2011 3:51 pm

Not just you.

Happens all the time on Short Haul too...

Some flights can be an absolute nightmare with people deciding to re-seat them self and cause havoc when the people who's seat they have occupied turn up.

FlyerTalker6245 Apr 8, 2011 3:55 pm

Here's a tricky different scenario.

Mummy, Daddy, Brother and andset1191 himself all travelling.

We have seats 2AC and 3AC LGW - GLA, first few rows in CE formation.

We board, and find the seats in ET formation rather than CE formation. This is unexpected and the seat map at OLCI was for CE seating.

A man and wife appear with seats 2B and 3B. They immediately sit down and ask me to move.
* We have Aisle/Window & Aisle/Window
* They have Middle & Middle

They want me to move to middle so we go 3 and 1 when we wanted 2 and 2 so they can sit together. What would you do?

Jonobigblind Apr 8, 2011 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jet Ranger (Post 16185008)
1. Well, I'm with my wife/husband in 64J so we knew you'd not mind

Really? Maybe Paul McKenna or Mystic Meg could have a theatrical stab at reading your mind but I fail to see how all these people could accurately predict your answer.

If they were that precious about spending time with their other half then they should have secured the seats in advance rather than gambled and relied on their brazen cheekiness.

Bad form on their part and you're totally right IMO

will2288 Apr 8, 2011 3:59 pm

You do seem to be handling this appropriately. It is odd that it happens as often as it does though. I would guess that BA charging for seat assignments even in Club World is a part of this. I can understand a couple not wanting to spend $180 each way (I believe long-haul CW seat assignments are $90, correct me if I am wrong) to pick a seat. You certainly are justified for wanting your assigned seat for what ever reason though.

Just curious, what do you like about 64K so much? I have only been in CW in a 777, but SeatGuru suggests there are better seats on the upper deck.

elitetraveler Apr 8, 2011 4:01 pm

As I like 14AK and 64K I always try to board early to make sure I get to my seat before the poachers.

I do always ask what seat I am being offered - as a courtesy - and needless to say it is mostly middles or other less desirable seats.

After a "sorry, no thanks" I pull my newspaper up high and get back to reading to ensure the conversation is fully disengaged :D

I would put the ask rate at about "50 percent" including folks who ask because "I have a bad leg/knee/back/ankle and can't climb out of my seat" :rolleyes:

will2288 Apr 8, 2011 4:05 pm

andset1191: That is too bad for all involved. Neither party has any obligation to swap, but it might benefit you to either:
- take AB in two rows and give C to other couple (or take BC and give A to couple)
- take ABC in one row and either A or C in the other row.

Assuming you want to sit next to someone you know, both of these options would be better than not switching at all. The other couple certainly benefits too. So at least you have karma on your side.

DWFI Apr 8, 2011 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by will2288 (Post 16185098)
Just curious, what do you like about 64K so much? I have only been in CW in a 777, but SeatGuru suggests there are better seats on the upper deck.

-Extremely private
-4 window storage bins
-Better service on UD (less pax per crew)
-Less light pollution from galley (vs 64A)
-No one to step over
-First off the UD
-Easy access to lav
-Extremely private (yes, again)

Jet Ranger Apr 8, 2011 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by will2288 (Post 16185098)

In response to the 64k - there are zillions of arguments about the pro's and cons of this seat vs the 62's and the A seat on here. I just like it because you get no light noise at night, and its quick down the stairs when I arrive in MIA and sometimes that can be key... (as can fast walking!) The lav issue that seatguru mentions for me has never been an issue of the seat.

The other side of it, is when you check in online, upstairs is full, but I always have a sneak peak downstairs, and there are free pairs available, but when you board, split up couples say - but these are the only options that were available to us when we checked in... I guess some couples try it on to be together on the upper deck.

Its just annoying...

Jet Ranger Apr 8, 2011 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy (Post 16185052)
Not just you.

Happens all the time on Short Haul too...

Some flights can be an absolute nightmare with people deciding to re-seat them self and cause havoc when the people who's seat they have occupied turn up.

From a crew point of view BBB, how do you handle it? have you ever had to insist someone moves, who is refusing to? what would happen if they refuse?

Hubbabridge Apr 8, 2011 4:23 pm

I have seen these shifters but never experienced them myself. We are 62jk people. You are completely in the right. Make them move: no manners

janetdoe Apr 8, 2011 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by andset1191 (Post 16185073)
A man and wife appear with seats 2B and 3B. They immediately sit down and ask me to move.
* We have Aisle/Window & Aisle/Window
* They have Middle & Middle

They want me to move to middle so we go 3 and 1 when we wanted 2 and 2 so they can sit together. What would you do?

Hubby and I often book and A + C combination in coach, in hopes that no one will be assigned in the middle seat. If someone does sit there, we usually offer to trade window for middle (since hubby is claustrophobic and must have the aisle). Some people counter-offer that they would trade the middle for the aisle seat, so we say no and let them be stuck in the middle. ;)

The point is, you have the desirable seat assignments, so you decide what would be most convenient to you and offer that, on the grounds that virtually any offer will benefit them as they have the worst possible combination.

I might offer the 3 and 1 just to be nice, (and part of that is because you are two parents and two siblings, rather than two couples) but your group definitely gets to decide which seat is traded for which, if any at all.