Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is silver just a pipe dream?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier
It's a bit pricey flying that way, will have a look next time I need to book. Or is it as easy to join the AA program and book BA still?
You can join the AAdvantage programme, still fly on BA and simply credit your miles to AA. Since late last year, all fares (including deep discount economy fares on BA) earn 100% elite qualifying miles. You need 50k EQMs to reach platinum which you will earn after 4 round trips LHR-EZE if you fly direct with BA. The bit about routing via North America was if you wanted to push for Emerald status. If you're happy with Platinum, just stick to BA flights and you will get there travelling on any published fare rather than having to buy more expensive fares in order to accumulate your tier points in the BAEC.

As to trying for Platinum on the next trip, I think that might be a bit of a push eh?
Not at all. Sign up for the Platinum Challenge (details here). For the challenge you would need to fly AA in a fare class that earns you 1 elite qualifying point per mile if you wanted to reach platinum in one trip (BA flights don't count for challenges unless booked as an AA codeshare and I don't believe there is a codeshare on LHR-GRU/EZE so your first trip would need to be on AA metal. After that you can just fly BA if you wish).You need 10k points to complete the challenge which you will do on one round trip. You then have Platinum status right away which will mean you get 100% bonus miles and will be able to use the business class lounges and select your seat at the time of booking on BA for free (except exit row seats)

Last edited by britenbsas; Apr 5, 2011 at 7:27 am Reason: Add link
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Thanks for the clarification, I don't think the platinum is really that much of a possibility, I can't justify such a long flight if I can get gold by flying BA direct.

Flights are more likely to be LHR-GRU for the next few trips, also don't think I will make too many more this year, Mrs BT is expecting and due end of September.

I have signed up with AA, can I change the frequent flyer details on an existing booking to this, or do I have to leave it as BAEC? Is it worth it for possibly only 4 legs to GRU this year and a return to Cyprus.

Food for thought this, damn game has taken over the day, all I really want is lounge access!!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Welcome BT,
All sorts of tips in the stickies and threads in this forum, and sure enough you'll find the best way for you. I was a no-hoper for anything other than Blue, but with a little pre-planning and a couple of tweaks to routings I'm able to get the 600tps from this year.
First you want to be clear what you want out of Silver (eg. Lounge access) and ask if you're prepared to pay a little towards that. For example, a long-weekend somewhere close in Europe (fly CE) can get you 80tps and lift you over the 600 point line.

With 6 x trips to Sth Am in cheapo economy, you have 12 sectors at 30tps, so 360tps in the 'probable' bag and 240tps to find. It sounds like you do one WT+ rtn holiday a year (150tps), so add the 80 CE and you're only 10 short! That's one extra sector in Sth Am on Lan along the line.
As others have said paid upgrades on the WT legs can work for you too (have to say I'd hate those sectors in WT for work), or get work to pay for more flexible H,B,Y tickets which may well be cost effective anyhow in your line of work as the return leg may be easier to revise.

The one thing to watch is tying all the trips in with your BAEC year, which'll end on 8th of some month.
Good luck.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I have signed up with AA, can I change the frequent flyer details on an existing booking to this, or do I have to leave it as BAEC?
Yes, you should be able to update your frequent flier info via Manage My Booking

Is it worth it for possibly only 4 legs to GRU this year and a return to Cyprus.
YES!! ABSOLUTELY!! 4 return trips LHR-GRU on BA = 46904 EQMs plus another 4k for a return to Cyprus this calendar year and you've reached the 50k target and will have platinum status through to the end of February 2013. Just credit every flight to your AAdvantage account and remember that any BA fare (including deep discount economy fares) will get you 100% EQMs. Note that there is an offical rule that you must fly at least 4 segments on AA to get AAdvantage status but reports on FT report that this rule is routinely ignored and status is granted even without any flying on AA.

Once you reach 25k EQM you will get AAdvantage Gold status (OW Ruby) which, although this isn't going to get you lounge access, will mean you get 25% bonus miles on all subsequent flights. Once you hit Platinum, you'll get your lounge access and the ability to select seats on ba.com at the time of booking.

Food for thought this, damn game has taken over the day, all I really want is lounge access!!
Welcome to the crazy world of miles and points. As someone told me when I started out on here, beware - it's addictive. They weren't wrong
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by littlefish
The one thing to watch is tying all the trips in with your BAEC year, which'll end on 8th of some month.
Good luck.
Year ends 8th February, which is a pain, my last trip to GRU left before this and returned after, so I only have 30TP towards this year.

@Britenbsas, I think we got our wires crossed, I will probably only make 2 x return trips to GRU this year, so 4 legs, not 4 returns, hopefully next year I might be a bit more frequent.

Will probably switch the BAEC number for the AA one in the bookings and see how we go, there might be one or two surprise journeys yet.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by britenbsas
Yes, you should be able to update your frequent flier info via Manage My Booking

Looks like you can't change it, MMB shows the name of the passenger and the BAEC number, with no option to change it.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looks like you can't change it, MMB shows the name of the passenger and the BAEC number, with no option to change it.
Use MMB in Finnair.com or just have it changed at the airport.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Use MMB in Finnair.com or just have it changed at the airport.
Or phone BA.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Or phone BA.
That costs money.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just checked on MMB, £406 at present to upgrade the 2 legs. Will have a look for the proactive upgrade thread.

This is actually quite fun!!
Thanks ET for the points, guess my first port of call when I get to the airport is the desk referred to earlier, does that mean I should not use OLCI, or if there is an offer will it be offered then?

As for upgrades, have had plenty over the years to Ugnada and Kenya, 5 of us on one trip, hopefully they keep coming!

Play offs?? Hope not, not had much luck with those since we came up from League 2.
If you currently have an offer to upgrade in MMB, then there is a decent chance you will be offered a special upgrade option when you enter OLCI. Definitely use OLCI, don't wait until the airport.
If you aren't offered it at OLCI, then you can try again at the desk in the departure lounge, but the chances are if you don't get it on OLCI then it isn't available.
The only time a visit to the 'desk' is necessary is if you have made your booking in such a way that upgrade offers don't appear on-line (e.g. you booked with a travel agent).
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Year ends 8th February, which is a pain, my last trip to GRU left before this and returned after, so I only have 30TP towards this year.

@Britenbsas, I think we got our wires crossed, I will probably only make 2 x return trips to GRU this year, so 4 legs, not 4 returns, hopefully next year I might be a bit more frequent.

Will probably switch the BAEC number for the AA one in the bookings and see how we go, there might be one or two surprise journeys yet.
BT, I think you should make a decision to commit to one scheme from the outset, if you split bookings then might regret it later if you miss out on status by one flight!

Britenbsas has made some interesting posts, I have to admit I didn't know much about AA before reading this.
For your situation it does sound like AA may be a cheaper route to lounge access, mainly because you won't have to pay from your own pocket to upgrade to WT+.
However, I think you would lose the ability to build status in Europe through a mileage run. For instance the short CE hops to Amsterdam/Jersey can earn a lot of TP's, but it doesn't sound like they would help your AA status.
Britenbsas, do the AA miles from the status bonus could towards status? I expect no, it would be too generous.
It also puts you further down the priority list for Op-UPs.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
If it is only lounge access you require, it may be worth you investigating qantas club membership,as you can purchase it and it gives you BA lounge access: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...cess/global/en
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
One thing that needs to be added regarding the benefits of AA or BA's programs is that if you go with AA and are traveling domestically in the US, you won't get lounge access when you hit AA PLT. With BA Siliver, you will.

Of course it can be debated as to whether access to Admirals Clubs is worth it at all
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by HIDDY
That costs money.
Spot the Scot...
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by rodavici
Of course it can be debated as to whether access to Admirals Clubs is worth it at all
One trip to LGA or ORD would convince you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.