Wiki Posts
Search

First Impressions Count

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Emirates Skywards
First Impressions Count

I wonder what impression first-time visitors gain of Great Britain when they disembark at our main airport? London at 06:00 on a winter's morning may not be a welcoming sight to anyone from a warmer climate. But why can't the staff be more friendly? From my experience BAA have made some improvements in recent times particularly in security. But this morning as BA42 disgorged its tired and dishevelled occupants onto the tarmac to await bussing to the terminal, the entire bus witnessed the driver challenge an elderly passenger to move two heavy bags so more people could be squeezed into the vehicle. The driver showed no respect towards the elderly passenger and clearly couldn't comprehend why the gent didn't respond immediately to his barked order. After the excellent service we'd received inflight from the BA crew onboard, this driver was effectively an ambassador for this country as far as creating an initial impression for first-time visitors was concerned. I'm afraid he flunked the opportunity. I doubt he could even comprehend the weight of responsibility that lay on his shoulders. And how a kind word or a smile might discharge his heavy load. And why, in 2011, do we still empty passengers out onto the tarmac at our flagship airport?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Bobcat901
I wonder what impression first-time visitors gain of Great Britain when they disembark at our main airport? London at 06:00 on a winter's morning may not be a welcoming sight to anyone from a warmer climate. But why can't the staff be more friendly? From my experience BAA have made some improvements in recent times particularly in security. But this morning as BA42 disgorged its tired and dishevelled occupants onto the tarmac to await bussing to the terminal, the entire bus witnessed the driver challenge an elderly passenger to move two heavy bags so more people could be squeezed into the vehicle. The driver showed no respect towards the elderly passenger and clearly couldn't comprehend why the gent didn't respond immediately to his barked order. After the excellent service we'd received inflight from the BA crew onboard, this driver was effectively an ambassador for this country as far as creating an initial impression for first-time visitors was concerned. I'm afraid he flunked the opportunity. I doubt he could even comprehend the weight of responsibility that lay on his shoulders. And how a kind word or a smile might discharge his heavy load. And why, in 2011, do we still empty passengers out onto the tarmac at our flagship airport?
Because its far busier in 2011 than 1991?

I think you're preaching very much to the converted here, one thing we can not do though is look into the psyche of a bus driver who has probably had to get up at 4AM latest.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
I think you're preaching very much to the converted here, one thing we can not do though is look into the psyche of a bus driver who has probably had to get up at 4AM latest.
IMO, if people cannot behave in a decent/considerate manner towards others no matter what time they got up, then they should go back to school and learn some self-discipline and manners. Not that most schools teach anything like that nowadays.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
IMO, if people cannot behave in a decent/considerate manner towards others no matter what time they got up, then they should go back to school and learn some self-discipline and manners. Not that most schools teach anything like that nowadays.
Agree, although I have the opinion that no-one can control an individual behavior. I am not British and i think that for UK is very welcome compared with other EU countries.

Try France for example, on all airports in the world someone will speak basic english but not there.

Also it is not a staff's behavior that makes you feel good when you arrive on a foreign country, many things could make you feel welcome. Firstly on UK the cab prices and store prices are fair, they don't see a tourist and sell something 200% more expensive because they believe you are not aware of the real value of the service that you get.

If all the staff were excellent then that would be perfect but that's life. Keep in mind also that LHR is one of the most busy airports in the world, so you cannot expect to have the same welcome as you will get on Koh Samui's airport.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yep......Welcome to Britain.

Home to some of the most grumpiest workers in the service industry.

Airports aren't the best places to get welcomed into a country by.....we are usually tired, stressed and our patience levels are low. The staff are probably not on the greatest of salaries or working conditions and are of a temporary nature.
To be fair to the UK...during the last few years as a tourist when visiting I have found most service industry staff we have came face to face with very nice and welcoming. When we have encountered the odd grumpy one it has been noticed that they were British born and bred rather than foreign.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
The poster has obviously never been bused at FRA

I cannot imagine anyone basing their first impressions on a country by the presentation of an
airport. Seriously, how many airports are operated by the local government? Most are in private
ownership. When you get to your hotel and walk around, sure, but not at an airport

And if you are coming in at 06:00, then finding someone with a big smile on their face will be
hard to come by in most airports.

H
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I have found most service industry staff we have came face to face with very nice and welcoming. When we have encountered the odd grumpy one it has been noticed that they were British born and bred rather than foreign.
This mirrors my experiences, though as a resident rather than tourist. I'm thinking of starting a campaign: British Jobs for Foreign Workers
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
In the same way that the whole 'disprutive kids on a plane' is a parental problem - not the children's... it is not IMO the responsibility of schools to teach basic manners. That should also come from the parents - schools are there to educate not do the parent's job for them.

I believe that if a person is naturally grumpy, inconsiderate or downright ignorant... it is a personality trait that they are solely responsible for. It is not for the rest of society's already hard-pressed institutions to try and fix for them.

So... that is my two pence on the subject.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:19 am

On a related note, I can't understand why they don't throw more money at the Heathrow Express 'experience'.

The walk down to it is bleak and dingy, then the mostly empty trains are bland, sombre and looking quite second-hand now.

Get some sponsors on board and I think they could make big improvements to people's first impressions of the UK. I doubt they're short of cash anyway, it's not exactly cheap!

It would be so nice to push to improve the arrivals (or even welcome home) experience before the Olympics.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think on average, the UK is not more or less welcoming than say France. However I think the UK has a bit of an international reputation for being polite, whereas France (or Paris, more precisely) has the opposite, so perhaps they are perceived differently due to different expectations.

Still, I firmly believe that politeness and being nice to others cost nothing, and it's worth doing, even if it's for my own sake. It makes me a happier person if I try to be nice to others. I think rude people are missing out on a lot in life.

Originally Posted by BA or bust
In the same way that the whole 'disprutive kids on a plane' is a parental problem - not the children's... it is not IMO the responsibility of schools to teach basic manners. That should also come from the parents - schools are there to educate not do the parent's job for them.
I agree with that, although I think they should do some 'top ups' in case it's not taught sufficiently at home. In fact, it's not so much as 'teaching' but reinforcing what they should already know, and the whole 'attitude' and culture of politeness and consideration that should be cultivated at school (as well as at home of course).

I was speaking a little tongue-in-cheek as "go back to his parents" doesn't have the same ring to it
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Easy to say when you're not driving a bus at 6AM for a fraction of the pay that I suspect you earn!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Easy to say when you're not driving a bus at 6AM for a fraction of the pay that I suspect you earn!
Let's not forget the poor driver has someone telling him to squeeze as many passengers on the bus as possible.

It would be interesting to see what the H&S rules are concerning these buses.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:14 am

Disagree, its one is doing whatever is capable to in order to earn money.If someone is capable to drive a bus in order to earn money this is not bad or should not make you behave bad to others.

For example this year I work-study every day (Mon-Fri) from 09.00-16.00 and some days till 19.00, this hours I am at the University and the study hours are plus for the weekends.

Also, I pay for this from my savings and I do not have any other income for this year. This didn't turn me to a bad person and I didn't forget how it is to be kind with others.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Let's not forget the poor driver has someone telling him to squeeze as many passengers on the bus as possible.
+1^
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Tyler Brule wrote a while back in the FT on what visitors to Britain must make of LHR based on the way it's operated and its retail offer. An amusing read, if you can see past the affectation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.