Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booked my first trip in First Class (with BA Miles)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked my first trip in First Class (with BA Miles)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Capricorn70
Not in front of the children!
I don't mean to sound like mother preacher here, but the people who are sitting in Y, WT and WT+ most probably are the cause of you sitting in CW or F. So don't go marching down to show off to the people who are sitting there.

One day, one never knows, you might be sitting with and along them.

And I do put my head down when I turn left as I am boarding especially if there is an older person ahead of me.

As my mother always said, the front or the back, we all arrive at the same time.

And sorry Capricorn 70 didn't mean to quote you.

Last edited by Yahillwe; Jan 19, 2011 at 11:55 am
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Sometimes the elitist comments on this board are shocking ... I would never dream of showing off or being so self-important that I have to flaunt it
There is a difference between being elitist and showing off.

I head back to WT when I travel in CW for two reasons. Partly to stretch my legs but also partly to remind myself how lucky I am to fly in CW.

But reminding myself how lucky I am to fly in CW has two components. The first is that by seeing the conditions in WT I remind myself what I have paid for and reassure myself that I have secured what I believe is value for money. The second part is to remind myself that I am an elitist. I work hard to be able to afford to travel in CW and secure a better travel experience than most people can afford. And I think that I have earned it.

I freely admit to being an elitist. But I do not go back, or do anything else for that matter, to show off.

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Jan 19, 2011 at 11:57 am
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
the people who are sitting in Y, WT and WT+ most probably are the cause of you sitting in CW or F
I am a bit unsure what exactly you mean by this Yahillwe.

And I do put my head down when I turn left as I am boarding especially if there is an older person ahead of me.
Why? Have you not earned your CW or F seat? I do not see anything to be ashamed of to be honest. You do not have to flaunt the fact that you are travelling premium I agree, but I do not see any reason to be embarrassed.

As my mother always said, the front or the back, we all arrive at the same time.
I am not so sure that this is always true. You get a better shot at being first in the immigration queue when you travel F or CW. And if your bags come off first due to the priority handling working then you might well get to your hotel or home before an economy passenger.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
Does the wink smilie do duty for irony as I'm losing track of who is being serious here
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
What I meant by the first quote Sixth Freedom is that most probably what YOU as in the french VOUS, are selling, fixing etc etc has been bought or used by people who are sitting in Y. Never forget where your earned money is the result OFF

And still the airplane arrives at the same time be it in the front or the back... now you might be first in immigration or last, the plane has arrived.

And even though I can only remember once being in Y (sir Freddy Laker, not sure if anyone is of age to remember it) from LAX to Nice, when I was in college and going to Nice with college friends, I still put my head down as I board. Modesty never hurts.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think some people need to eat a piece of humble pie. Not everyone in Y can't afford F. As a matter of fact, a very good friend of mine who owns a chain of clothing stores in the US, over 200 of them, ONLY travels Y. Even though he doesn't blink an eye calling up Netjets and going to NM for dinner and back, he NEVER flies but Y commercial.
I can understand traveling Y domestically in the US. Its not like F is such a great experience. OTOH I can't understand why someone with the money to use private jets would ever fly Y for long haul.

Then again, I don't understand the rich people who drive around in GM cars.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ADGrant I don't question or ask why he only travels (family included) in Y when he goes commercial. It is their business. Not mine.

What I was trying to get across is that there might be lots of people in Y who can afford F very easily but choose not to.

And I do agree that any cabin class on US airlines is the pits.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:19 pm

What I meant by the first quote Sixth Freedom is that most probably what YOU as in the french VOUS, are selling, fixing etc etc has been bought or used by people who are sitting in Y. Never forget where your earned money is the result OFF
Wow, free French lessons!
Fortunately I inherited my wealth so have never had to involve myself in trade and thereby (indirectly) subsidise those flying in lower classes ,
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
This thread is confusing me! I always interpret the 'elitist' comments as Tongue in cheek. Nobody in Y cares who is in F because they know how much they're saving by sitting in Y! (that was something called a joke btw)

Arguments about who made who rich are like the chicken/egg nature/nurture debates. The person wouldnt be in F (for argument's sake) if people who travel in 99Z hadn't purchased their goods/services (again, crude e.g.) on the other hand, the good/service would not (for argument's sake) have been available were it not for the CW/F passenger.

I am assuming the "elitist" comment was a joke as I'm assuming the F pj walking back to y was likewise a joke! Why would you want to get your finest cotton pyjamas infected by the BO of the great unwashed in CW, W and Y?
(that was also a joke. I do not think people in Y necessarily pose a public health risk.)
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
This thread is confusing me! I always interpret the 'elitist' comments as Tongue in cheek. Nobody in Y cares who is in F because they know how much they're saving by sitting in Y! (that was something called a joke btw)

Arguments about who made who rich are like the chicken/egg nature/nurture debates. The person wouldnt be in F (for argument's sake) if people who travel in 99Z hadn't purchased their goods/services (again, crude e.g.) on the other hand, the good/service would not (for argument's sake) have been available were it not for the CW/F passenger.

I am assuming the "elitist" comment was a joke as I'm assuming the F pj walking back to y was likewise a joke! Why would you want to get your finest cotton pyjamas infected by the BO of the great unwashed in CW, W and Y?
(that was also a joke. I do not think people in Y necessarily pose a public health risk.)
^ vide #19
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by me2
Hi

I have taken the plunge and booked the family on our first trip in First Class using more or less all our BA miles and 2 x AMEX 241 vouchers.

(It is partly thanks to the people on this site as we have utilised the paypal topup card and Amex Gold card 20k rewards offers....so thank you all very much !)

We are flying LHR to Boston in the autumn.

If anybody has any tips and suggestions for before + during the flights (and the trip itself) these will be gratefully received

Many thanks
Mark
Have a great time. Just be yourself and act normally; there are numerous tips on various threads to research and have a look at the trip reports over the coming months to give you some hints as to what to expect. It's quite a short flight so it's probably worth getting to the airport a couple of hours early to enjoy the CCR.

Mrs B and I were in Boston last week where we enjoyed a snow storm and 15 inches of snow on the ground plus freezing temperatures. This slightly curtailed activities but take it from me that Boston is a lovely city which is very walkable and plenty of interest. You are definitely doing the right thing going in autumn (or summer). I would recommend 2 or 3 days in town will probably cover most of the main attractions so consider building in some excursions to Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard if it is still fairly warm, or go north to other parts of New England.

Hope you like Lobsters and seafood! There are some nice Italian restaurants in North End. If you fancy a steak blow-out (they do serve other things) I can recommend Abe & Louie's on Boylston (near Copley Square). You'll probably need to book.

Last edited by Betteronacamel; Jan 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm Reason: small typo
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Amex Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Shouldn't we be congratulating the OP on his first trip in F with the family or should we be pushing the guilt trip comments in recent posts?

Congrats and I hope it is a tremendous experience for you and family.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:44 pm
me2
Original Poster

Programs: BA SPG Gold
thanks - we are looking forward to it !
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I agree entirely Yahillwe. Sometimes the elitist comments on this board are shocking - rather like the "What does the lounge mean to you thread".
Thank goodness most are tongue in cheek. However, I try and avoid making such comments just in case they get misinterpreted.

Long haul Y travel is the "in thing" for 2011 anyway. ^^
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Oh, while your in Boston book a meal at The Melting Pot. It's an amazing experience. Although give yourself plenty of time, 3 hours should be OK and don't eat all day, you will need the space!

If you don't get to desert you will kick yourself!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.