FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Booked my first trip in First Class (with BA Miles) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1173989-booked-my-first-trip-first-class-ba-miles.html)

me2 Jan 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Booked my first trip in First Class (with BA Miles)

Hi

I have taken the plunge and booked the family on our first trip in First Class using more or less all our BA miles and 2 x AMEX 241 vouchers.

(It is partly thanks to the people on this site as we have utilised the paypal topup card and Amex Gold card 20k rewards offers....so thank you all very much !)

We are flying LHR to Boston in the autumn.

If anybody has any tips and suggestions for before + during the flights (and the trip itself) these will be gratefully received

Many thanks
Mark

Lobengula Jan 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by me2 (Post 15685481)
Hi

I have taken the plunge and booked the family on our first trip in First Class using more or less all our BA miles and 2 x AMEX 241 vouchers.

(It is partly thanks to the people on this site as we have utilised the paypal topup card and Amex Gold card 20k rewards offers....so thank you all very much !)

If anybody has any tips and suggestions for before + during the flights (and the trip itself) these will be gratefully received

Many thanks
Mark

Great! I'm sure you will have an excellent trip. Not many people will ever experience F.

If you and the family are intested in BA history and really history of the British Empire, you should consider a visit to BA Heritage Centre at Waterside. Some information in my trip report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...waterside.html

Prospero Jan 18, 2011 5:17 pm

To get you started, please peruse the Some Tips on Maximizing the BA FIRST Experience section of the forum's Ultimate Guide to all things British Airways thread.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to follow up here.

toothpick Jan 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by me2 (Post 15685481)
Hi

Many thanks
Mark

I would suggest getting to LHR as early as you can, get your luggage checked in, head straight to the Elemis Spa reception to book a facial on the massage chair (or whatever other treatment you prefer - I love their facials and find them great preparation for the drying cabin climate). They are busy, so it's best to book as soon as you can - they won't take you if the booking would make you late for your flight.
You'll be in the Concorde Lounge in T5, but a great alternative idea if you are hungry would be a meal at Plane Food outside in T5. Very nice room, cool ambience, almost feels as though you are already airborne, excellent friendly quick service, and great food.
Only flew in First once, it was great!
To BOS - sadly you'll only have about 6 hours each way to indulge. Cabin crew are amazing. Give them a hand by not leaving anything on the floor for takeoff or landing - there is a ton of storage space for all your stuff. They will take your coats and hang them up. Enjoy the Champagne, and the cheese board (if that's your thing).

Thunderroad Jan 18, 2011 11:20 pm

Depending on exactly when you're there, you could see some beautiful foliage. If you have time, I'd strongly suggest getting out of Boston for at least a few days to other parts of New England. New Hampshire and Vermont are great for some mountains, but my personal favorite state in New England is Maine for the beautiful seacoast.

And of course, there's the seafood, especially the lobsters.

Beano HK Jan 19, 2011 1:30 am

Hi. We did the F thing 18 months ago and burnt most of my miles, ow upgrades etc from LHR - MIA. The cabin crew were amazing with the kids and Mrs Beano and spoilt them rotten. I'm lucky enough to travel CW/F a fair bit for business, so it was great to be able to share with family for once as I am away so often. Agree with the spa comment, get in early. Flying F with my mother on Friday back home, she has never flown higher than WT before so again a nice treat.
The upside of course, is that you will have some nice "brownie points" in the bank. Enjoy

Yahillwe Jan 19, 2011 2:53 am

Aaahhhh Boston in the fall, you couldn''t have done better. I wonder how old are your kids. The children's museum by the wharf is excellent. If you are going in October, then just watch the whole town transform itself into a huge celebration for Halloween.

And Logan has the most amazing, I don't know what you call it, but like a puzzle thing that even adults with young a spirit:D can spend hours just looking at it.

and OT, now i realize why BBB got all tiffy when I mentioned plane food... I didn't mean the RESTAURANT, but airplane food. :D

me2 Jan 19, 2011 6:43 am

Thanks for the comments and tips.

Will follow those links shortly

Sixth Freedom Jan 19, 2011 7:45 am

Just look forward to a nice comfy seat and feeling suitably smug at being in F.

The most important thing to do is to go back to WT to see how the other passengers are enjoying their flight.

Embuexpat Jan 19, 2011 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 15689226)
Just look forward to a nice comfy seat and feeling suitably smug at being in F.

The most important thing to do is to go back to WT to see how the other passengers are enjoying their flight.

^ But to maximise this experience be sure to be wearing your F PJs.

zoosh Jan 19, 2011 8:54 am

Commando Acceptable??

Originally Posted by Embuexpat (Post 15689625)

Recalling another recent thread.....can one 'go commando' under the F PJ's when strolling back to the Y Cabin, or does one need to have some garment on underneath the F PJ's? :D:D

Yahillwe Jan 19, 2011 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Embuexpat (Post 15689625)

I think some people need to eat a piece of humble pie. Not everyone in Y can't afford F. As a matter of fact, a very good friend of mine who owns a chain of clothing stores in the US, over 200 of them, ONLY travels Y. Even though he doesn't blink an eye calling up Netjets and going to NM for dinner and back, he NEVER flies but Y commercial.

And one NEVER knows when we will be sitting back in Y or wherever.

Now you need to grow up and stop looking smug.

Embuexpat Jan 19, 2011 10:55 am

:confused:

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 15689787)
I think some people need to eat a piece of humble pie. Not everyone in Y can't afford F. As a matter of fact, a very good friend of mine who owns a chain of clothing stores in the US, over 200 of them, ONLY travels Y. Even though he doesn't blink an eye calling up Netjets and going to NM for dinner and back, he NEVER flies but Y commercial.

And one NEVER knows when we will be sitting back in Y or wherever.

:confused::confused:

Capricorn70 Jan 19, 2011 11:03 am

Originally Posted by zoosh (Post 15689680)
Recalling another recent thread.....can one 'go commando' under the F PJ's when strolling back to the Y Cabin, or does one need to have some garment on underneath the F PJ's? :D:D

Not in front of the children!:eek:
:p

rossmacd Jan 19, 2011 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 15689787)
I think some people need to eat a piece of humble pie.

I agree entirely Yahillwe. Sometimes the elitist comments on this board are shocking - rather like the "What does the lounge mean to you thread".

I do travel in premium cabins, as I am lucky to either afford it, or have enough miles to upgrade earned through work trips. I would never dream of showing off or being so self-important that I have to flaunt it.

Sometimes I am embarrassed to reveal to people that I will travel in a premium cabin, even on personal holidays.