Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways luggage allowance and golf clubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold

Would appreciate some advice.

My friend flew SYD-BKK Thursday on BA and called me earlier from SYD airport. Apparently he was charged $60 extra for golf clubs although he was well inside the total allowance allowed.

Originally Posted by BA Sporting Equipment
There is no additional allowance for sporting equipment, but it can still be carried free of charge as part of your free checked baggage allowance. If it is in addition to your free checked allowance, you will need to pay extra bag charges.
I understand the allowance for economy is 1 bag so if you have golf clubs does this mean you cannot have checked luggage as well? The golf clubs are ~9kgs and checked luggage <10kgs.

Now here is the weird part. He was upgraded to World Traveller Plus at check-in. I believe travellers in WT+ are allowed 2 bags anyway. So do you now get the luggage allowance for WT+ or the original booked class?

Receive an sms yesterday morning that he has arrived and the golf clubs are broken during transportation. It was quite late at night and he was not able to report it anywhere.

Is it worth it taking the matter further with BA? I have asked him to keep the receipt for extra bag. I can send BA an email re broken golf clubs but what sort of documentation would I need to include in the email? Photos? As far as I understand there is not official report.

Will see hime in Thailand in a couple of days and get the full story.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 2:02 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Broken golf clubs - ideally of course he should have checked the clubs before leaving the airport, but he should email BA with photos and an explanation. It ought to be clear whether they were broken in transit or by overenthusiastic golfing, judging by how they are broken.

I'm not sure about the extra charge - I remember ba.com does give confusing information about sports equipment, particularly if it's too long to be counted within the normal baggage allowance (which isn't just weight, it's dimension-related as well).
Old Dec 25, 2010, 2:31 am

You only get the allowance for the booked class.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by SteveF
<cough>
So I usually book WT+ on TATL, and MFU to CW.
How come I get allowed 3 bags?

[Edit ... missed the op-up aspect ... oops]

Last edited by T8191; Dec 25, 2010 at 4:11 am
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Thanks for the replies. Interesting that an op-up is treated differently to a paid upgrade or even an upgrade with points. Is there any difference in on-board service?

Originally Posted by BAAZ
Broken golf clubs - ideally of course he should have checked the clubs before leaving the airport, but he should email BA with photos and an explanation.
Wil try to get an email and photos to BA as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by BAAZ
I'm not sure about the extra charge - I remember ba.com does give confusing information about sports equipment, particularly if it's too long to be counted within the normal baggage allowance (which isn't just weight, it's dimension-related as well).
I am confused. What does BA mean by the statement "There is no additional allowance for sporting equipment, but it can still be carried free of charge as part of your free checked baggage allowance."?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by JohnK

I am confused. What does BA mean by the statement "There is no additional allowance for sporting equipment, but it can still be carried free of charge as part of your free checked baggage allowance."?
If your allowance is 1 bag then sporting equipment counts as that 1 bag. If your allowance is 3 bags then you can have 2 bags in addition to the sporting equipment. But normal weight rules apply.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:28 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by T8191
Originally Posted by SteveF
<cough>
So I usually book WT+ on TATL, and MFU to CW.
How come I get allowed 3 bags?

[Edit ... missed the op-up aspect ... oops]
Because your booked class is Club.

Its the difference between an Op Up and a paid upgrade. Similarly, lounge access may not be granted with an Op Up and in theory an Op Up should be served their meal after all revenue pax have chosen.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Sporting equipment is often of an irregular size. A lot of airlines charge extra for that.

There is no difference in onboard service but to anticipate your argument: checked bags allowance is still for the class booked.

Broken clubs: file a complaint with BA and with your travel insurer. Make sure you pass on BA's complaint ID to them as well. That usually helps to speed things along.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by henkybaby

Broken clubs: file a complaint with BA and with your travel insurer. Make sure you pass on BA's complaint ID to them as well. That usually helps to speed things along.
And make sure he claims for top of the range Callaway or Taylormade clubs.....
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Looking at the sporting equipment section of the Upgrade and Checked Baggage thread your sporting equipment comes out of your baggage allowance, or you have to purchase excess baggage for it. Also,

The sporting equipment must be packed in a travel case specifically designed for that piece of equipment.
so I hope the clubs were in a travel case, and not just a normal golf bag.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I understand the allowance for economy is 1 bag so if you have golf clubs does this mean you cannot have checked luggage as well? The golf clubs are ~9kgs and checked luggage <10kgs.
No you can't have two bags without paying extra. Full details of baggage allowance are posted on ba.com

Now here is the weird part. He was upgraded to World Traveller Plus at check-in. I believe travellers in WT+ are allowed 2 bags anyway. So do you now get the luggage allowance for WT+ or the original booked class?
The original class

Receive an sms yesterday morning that he has arrived and the golf clubs are broken during transportation. It was quite late at night and he was not able to report it anywhere.
There will always be a member of staff on duty at the airport as they are there until all passengers have cleared the arriving flight, and to handle the outbound flight.

Did he not go to departures to look for somebody?

Is it worth it taking the matter further with BA? I have asked him to keep the receipt for extra bag. I can send BA an email re broken golf clubs but what sort of documentation would I need to include in the email? Photos? As far as I understand there is not official report.

Will see hime in Thailand in a couple of days and get the full story.
You will need to call BA locally in BKK to report the damage and they will advise you what to do. They may need you to take the clubs to the airport to see the damage.

It means you can carry one bag of golf clubs (or whatever sporting equipment) with your regular clothes inside. However, it can't weigh more than 23kg without attracting a heavy bag charge. With clubs and clothes a golf bag will frequently weigh in excess of 25kg.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting that an op-up is treated differently to a paid upgrade or even an upgrade with points. Is there any difference in on-board service?
The upgrade is considered to be a benefit that a passenger hasn't paid for and most people are more than delighted with this. Service on board is the same whether you've paid for that cabin or been upgraded into it.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
The upgrade is considered to be a benefit that a passenger hasn't paid for and most people are more than delighted with this.
Indeed....

Some people just want jam on it.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 2:06 pm

The BA site is pretty explicit on the allowance

There is no additional allowance for sporting equipment, but it can still be carried free of charge as part of your free checked baggage allowance. If it is in addition to your free checked allowance, you will need to pay extra bag charges.

With the economy allowance being 1 piece, then anything in excess is chargeable

If the clubs were not packed into a suitable case for travel then the person should not be holding his breath that BA will pay out for them since

"British Airways does not accept liability for fragile, valuable, perishable articles or baggage which is packed in damaged or unsuitable containers."

and should contact travel insurance to see whether they will cover it

He can lodge a claim with BA at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_gb

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 25, 2010 at 2:12 pm
Old Dec 25, 2010, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

If the clubs were not packed into a suitable case for travel then the person should not be holding his breath that BA will pay out for them since
Indeed....airlines usually recommend they be packed in a hard shell golf bag. I used to take my bike on many flights without even packing it in a bike bag. Only once was it damaged...a few spokes broken. It never even entered my head to claim anything from SAS on that occasion. I just wheeled it to the nearest bike repair in Helsinki and got it repaired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.