Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cost of champagne in WT+

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Schultzois
As for the BYOB option, how would it get chilled? As far as I know, Duty Free doesn't generally sell cold bottles, and even if they did, it would warm up quickly if you just keep it at the seat...

Back when I used to fly WT (or its equivalent on other carriers) it was easy for me to bring a bottle (generally something nice and red, so that the temperature wasn't such an issue) from home in my hand baggage (together with any manner of snacks that I wouldn't get through security any more). For the record, the wine often served as a nice conversation starter, whilst the pungent French cheeses were often a way to get the whole row to myself.
There must be an enterpising something, somewhere in T5, that would sell ready chilled champagne and one of those icy sleeve thingies. I know the seafood place at T4 used to provide coldpacks.

This sounds like an investigative mission for someone with time on their hands at Heathrow this week.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Many many moons ago when I still flew WT, the bars did carry CE splits and I recall them costing a fiver. No idea about the current situation, 7 years and counting! ^
Have you never heard of the seven year itch?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Schultzois
As for the BYOB option, how would it get chilled? As far as I know, Duty Free doesn't generally sell cold bottles, and even if they did, it would warm up quickly if you just keep it at the seat...

Not sure if the OP has a Gold/Silver card, but as long as you clearly mark it, lounge staff might possibly agree to chill it in their champagne fridge pre-flight.

I have done this at LGW First lounge, but that has rather more friendly staff than LHR, and is a lot smaller, so they can keep track of you more easily.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:15 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Bring your own - tell the crew and they will try and chill it for you. Do you want to drink it out of those plastic glasses though?

Ignore anything Phil the Flyer has to say on the subject of Seven Year Anything.

HIDDY Since when did you become an expert on AF and their distribution of Champagne. I thought that you did not care for this?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:19 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Bring your own - tell the crew and they will try and chill it for you. Do you want to drink it out of those plastic glasses though?
From this alone I can tell you make a great CSD.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
We flew to LAX in WTP in June and I was offered some German sparkling wine. Not necessarily champagne but it was not bad. So, I assume WTP/WT bars do carry something sparkling.
OT - which flight are you taking on the 26th?
My wife and I are travelling on the BA0209 at 13.30

Thanks everyone for the info.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Honours
I am flying MIA-LHR WT+ tomorrow, I will see what they have on offer and let you know.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I have no desire to scratch that particular itch unless Miss Monroe were waiting at the end of the flight.

ET to LCA is as far as I would want to push myself.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
ET to LCA is as far as I would want to push myself.
I agree. ET back from DME to LHR was a minor shock last week (no upgrades available on return for my TA ticket unlike the outbound), but as it was a LH 767 and I had 27K, it could have been worse.

The CC were great and they kept bringing me bottles of Argento Merlot. I passed on my praise to the CSD.

No champagne - wish I had known that I could have brought my own!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by HilFly
They used to have small bottles of champagne for sale in WT, but I think I'm going back even further than Swanhunter because I thought it was 3 pounds.
You could buy it in the old version of "ET" many many years ago but I think it was more like 5£
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
It used to be possible to order a Celebration cake or Bottle of Champagne but BA have nt offered this for quite a few years.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

HIDDY Since when did you become an expert on AF and their distribution of Champagne. I thought that you did not care for this?
AF were my airline of choice to EZE for many years....even flew a couple of times to PEK with them. Wonderful airline with stunning mademoiselles to look after you. I never ever had the Champagne even although it was free.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:13 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
I've now and again gone to The Caviar House at T5 and purchased a smoked salmon platter in a picknick box, together with a bottle of Chablis.

However, remember to ask them to pull the cork.

They used to be able to provide stoppers for the bottle.

P.S. They're not allowed to sell you oysters for consumption onboard.

bjorns
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by bjorns
I've now and again gone to The Caviar House at T5 and purchased a smoked salmon platter in a picknick box, together with a bottle of Chablis.
And the Caviar House also sells chilled champagne. We bought a bottle from them during one of the BA strikes and kept it chilled using a freezer sleeve which we had brought with us. For food we had the Plane Food picnic, of course, and some salmon and blinis again from Caviar House washed down with a bottle of Australia's finest screw-top wine from the T5 Duty Free
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Many many moons ago when I still flew WT, the bars did carry CE splits and I recall them costing a fiver. No idea about the current situation, 7 years and counting! ^
Clearly not enough moons have passed. That's at least the third time in the last month you've mentioned your relatively recent WT trip (and I read only a fraction of posts on FT, so you've probably mentioned it far more). It must have been very traumatizing.

Let me assure you that with the passage of time the pain recedes, but I don't think ever entirely goes away. I haven't travelled in WT for over a decade, but the thought of it is still a little blood-curdling .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.