Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cost of champagne in WT+

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Question Cost of champagne in WT+

Flying to MIA in WT+ on 26th December with my wife for our 20th wedding anniversary. Unable to upgrade with miles to CW as no reward availability and upgrade with money is £3200!

Does anyone know how much it would cost to purchase champagne on board when travelling WT+? Can you purchase a glass or do you have to purchase a bottle?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:48 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
In August I saw pax drink champagne from LHR duty free in WT, the FAs didn't seem to bother.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Yeah - just buy a bottle at the airport - the cabin crew will let you drink your own booze as long as you aren't utterly guttered.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
As far as I am aware, it is not possible to purchase Champagne onboard the aircraft.

However, there is nothing to stop you buying it in the terminal and drinking it onboard. You are permitted to consume your own alcohol onboard, but don't get too sloshed as the crew do have the legal responsibility of being able to remove your own alcohol from you if you are getting too sloshed...
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many many moons ago when I still flew WT, the bars did carry CE splits and I recall them costing a fiver. No idea about the current situation, 7 years and counting! ^
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
We flew to LAX in WTP in June and I was offered some German sparkling wine. Not necessarily champagne but it was not bad. So, I assume WTP/WT bars do carry something sparkling.
OT - which flight are you taking on the 26th?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
The wonderful GB Airways used to stock Champagne for purchase in Euro Traveller for around £6 I believe. This service is not offered on BA Mainline as far as I am aware.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AF give out Champagne for free in economy. ^

EK sell it in Y....it was $5 for a small bottle a few years ago.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
I once flew OTP - LHR in ET after working offshore with my partner on a grim 2 month job. We were both TOTALLY relieved to hear the clunk of the undercarriage tucking itself away and to add to the occasion is was Ms G50's 50th birthday. I told the CSD and asked if there was any champers on board and without hesitation she checked the CE stock and raided it for us... and kept us stocked up for the whole flight.

Generally I find BA CC VERY sympathetic and generous when this sort of circumstance arises, its one of the reasons I am loyal to BA.

Maybe this could happen to you?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
They used to have small bottles of champagne for sale in WT, but I think I'm going back even further than Swanhunter because I thought it was 3 pounds.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
As others have suggested buy a bottle in duty free to drink on board.

BTW you may be able to purchase an upgrade to CW at the airport. If it's available it will be £399 per person one way. Ask when you drop off your bags.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
As far as I am aware, it is not possible to purchase Champagne onboard the aircraft.

However, there is nothing to stop you buying it in the terminal and drinking it onboard. You are permitted to consume your own alcohol onboard, but don't get too sloshed as the crew do have the legal responsibility of being able to remove your own alcohol from you if you are getting too sloshed...
I didn't realize this was the case? Is the alcohol supposed to be served by the cabin crew, or can the passenger serve it him/herself? I'm not a huge JW Black fan, and have always wanted to open up the single malt I usually pick up in duty free.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
.....there is nothing to stop you buying it in the terminal and drinking it onboard. You are permitted to consume your own alcohol onboard, but don't get too sloshed as the crew do have the legal responsibility of being able to remove your own alcohol from you if you are getting too sloshed...
How long will it be before CW becomes BYOB, to go with the Plane Food picnic?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:53 am

As for the BYOB option, how would it get chilled? As far as I know, Duty Free doesn't generally sell cold bottles, and even if they did, it would warm up quickly if you just keep it at the seat...

Back when I used to fly WT (or its equivalent on other carriers) it was easy for me to bring a bottle (generally something nice and red, so that the temperature wasn't such an issue) from home in my hand baggage (together with any manner of snacks that I wouldn't get through security any more). For the record, the wine often served as a nice conversation starter, whilst the pungent French cheeses were often a way to get the whole row to myself.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

During the Gate Gourmet strike, a bottle of champagne and smoked salmon was the perfect way to spend your CE vouchers.

Not all airlines allow personal drinks to be consumed but BA have always allowed this iirc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.