Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How often do single travellers reserve 1A/K?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often do single travellers reserve 1A/K?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:05 am

I'm with G-BOAC and The Saint. Always 1A/K if solo.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I will join Petrus, G-BOAC and The Saint with selecting 1A or K when flying by myself. ( when I flew with my parents they were in 2AK and I was in 1A)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another row 1 fan. If travelling a deux the other party gets row 2 as 1A invariably goes before T-72.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Which is why I would choose 2A or 2K when in F alone
Indeed. I can not imagine the advantage of row 1 over the privacy of row 2... Maybe it is something psychological connected to the perceived exclusivity of row 1.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Indeed. I can not imagine the advantage of row 1 over the privacy of row 2... Maybe it is something psychological connected to the perceived exclusivity of row 1.
I would probably try row 1 if a) I didn't suffer slightly from claustrophobia and b) I wasn't a bit of a nosey git.

In my (limited) experience row 2 has the best of everything.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:38 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Petrus
I'm with G-BOAC and The Saint. Always 1A/K if solo.
+1. (Or should that be +4!!)
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJLondon
+1. (Or should that be +4!!)
I am not doubting that row one is the row most preferred by a lot of (solo) F travelers here, I just wonder why. If you fly solo you are not as private as in row 2. You are pretty close to your neigbour and the view maybe marginally better but only for takeoff and landing. I just don't get it...
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Only row 1.... Why? Privacy, no one is walking up and down.... And IF there is someone in the other 1 seat, they usually go to sleep.....that is on the 744 only.... Now, for the 777, I still have not found my favorite seat because the stupid computer keeps putting me in row 1... And I don't like it, no privacy and next to the galley....too noisy and there is always light and way too near to the next seat....

Once I was traveling with a friend and no matter how much we tried to get him a 1, it kept showing taken.... At check in it showed taken.... I talked to SS... And they changed the pax in 1 and gave it to my friend....Even though ex-1 was already checked in and in the lounge....to this day they haven't told me how they managed the switch
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I prefer 2a and 2k when flying by myself, its a more private seat to my mind. Plenty of people try to bag 1a or 1k though so would say your chances of keeping the seat free are fairly low.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Only row 1.... Why? Privacy, no one is walking up and down....
Compared to the zillions of people walking around next to row 2?

I prefer row 2 on the 777 too. Since you are a GGL one phone call should get you any seat you want on the 777. Maybe they have put row 1 as a preference in your profile. Call the GGL line.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And they changed the pax in 1 and gave it to my friend....Even though ex-1 was already checked in and in the lounge....to this day they haven't told me how they managed the switch
I did that once (got a non-rev seated elsewhere) and I got flamed for it like nobodies business on anet... Wonder what the response here will be. If I was in 1A I would not have appreciated it.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Once I was traveling with a friend and no matter how much we tried to get him a 1, it kept showing taken.... At check in it showed taken.... I talked to SS... And they changed the pax in 1 and gave it to my friend....Even though ex-1 was already checked in and in the lounge....to this day they haven't told me how they managed the switch
Probably along the lines of...

SS - We have a very pushy lady asking if she can get your seat for her male friend.
Row 1 pax - A bit of a DYKWIA is she?
SS - Indeed.
Row 1 pax - I don't fancy sitting next to her....move me please.

Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Probably along the lines of...

SS - We have a very pushy lady asking if she can get your seat for her male friend?
Row 1 pax - A bit of a DYKWIA is she?
SS - Indeed.
Row 1 pax - I don't fancy sitting next to her....move me please.

Obviously not a FT'er otherwise the last line would have read:

Row 1 pax - I can see how you desperately you want to satisfy all your F pax. For 25000 miles I will move to another window seat. A middle seat will cost you 75000 though.

Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
HB, now I am going to be sorry that I opened my mouth ( or used my fingers ) but in row one, once people finish putting their stuff and taking stuff out of the closet, no one passes by you or looks at you when passing...now me, in 1 when I am going to the back I pass by all the rows and can see the other passengers and that... Is no privacy... Furthermore no nor can see you except the one diagonally behind you and that is if they stretch their heads out.... So in my little brain.... It is total privacy and very few times did I have someone sitting next to me....

As for the 777.... I try to avoid that plane as much as I can.....I have not found any equivalence to the 744.....

And I rarely use or abuse the privileges that " I am entitled" to.....but I wonder to this day, and it has been 2 years, what they told that passenger....I would't have changed for anyone...I should thank him....
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a fine view of 1A from 2K (and I imagine even better from 1K)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.