FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   How often do single travellers reserve 1A/K? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1158543-how-often-do-single-travellers-reserve-1a-k.html)

badoc Dec 10, 2010 2:50 pm

How often do single travellers reserve 1A/K?

Have got 2 upcoming First trips :) with wife and mother - both BA blue. On all sectors we are in 2AK on 744 but will want to chat for a bit and only I (as new newbie Gold) can move to 1K.

If I move to 1K, how likely do people think 1A will be snapped up? I would have thought they were too close together for anyone to elect to sit there if the other is full. Don't know how easy it is to chat between 2AK. (Want those windows @ the front!)

Sorry mods - I predict this may get moved Rapido ;)

henkybaby Dec 10, 2010 2:55 pm

2A/K are the furthest apart you can get. That's exactly why I picked them when traveling with my mother, who is also a blue. My guess is that 1A/K is a gamble. Too many people like them and I often see single travelers in them. Besides, what if another Gold/Blue couple decides to play chicken with you?

Best choice is to put your wife and mother in 4E/F and take 2A/K for yourself, methinks. If you meant to say that you have one trip with each I would do 4E/F with the wife and 4A/E or 4F/K with your mother. Your wife will require romance and closeness. Your mother will forgive you everything. A marriage is more important than a view though. ;)

malcolmcampbell Dec 10, 2010 2:55 pm

they are not that close together. If I was flying alone I would elect for 1A/K

ayeaye Dec 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Yeah I'd go 1a/k too when travelling alone - you dont see that much of the person in the seat across from you.

For people travelling together and wanting to be sociable, 4 or 5 EF are probably better seats.

badoc Dec 10, 2010 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby (Post 15423362)
2A/K are the furthest apart you can get. That's exactly why I picked them when traveling with my mother

:D:D:D

HB - you are quite right, they are separate trips, not clear I know

I actually want to keep mother dear near to me. Not because I particularly want to engage (although we do in fact get on very well) but rather to stop her accosting others near her and talk about the lounge, wine, chair, service, 'going back to Africa' etc. etc. The other pax deserve that ;)

I think 1AK would be perfect but don't want to sacrifice one of the row 2 seats in case another pax jumps into 2K

BA or bust Dec 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by badoc (Post 15423483)
... but rather to stop her accosting others near her and talk about the lounge, wine, chair, service, 'going back to Africa' etc. etc. The other pax deserve that ;)

:D Your Mum sounds exactly like mine!

KenJohn Dec 10, 2010 4:55 pm

2A/K are the furthest apart you can get.

Which is why I would choose 2A or 2K when in F alone

That's exactly why I picked them when traveling with my mother

So would I

dmahon Dec 10, 2010 5:37 pm

I'd take 1K/2K/3K for 3 people, then switch 3K to 1A if it's still available a few days out.

ukgooner Dec 10, 2010 8:56 pm

Alternatively get your mum to burst into tears, say something about a funeral /loss/ difficult week and how it's essential she must sit with you in 1k and beg the poor sap who's booked it to swap.

That's what happened to me, and i think it would take a cold hearted type to ignore. But maybe I'm a pushover...

joejet Dec 11, 2010 1:28 am

I'm traveling with 2 kids in F would I be better with 1k 2k 3k or 4E 4F 4K kids are 9 and 6. Please no kids in F comments, as that's the only availability on the dates we need

Thanks
Joejet

The Saint Dec 11, 2010 2:48 am

The answer to whether individual passengers take 1A or 1K is, yes regularly. I do so, and frequently encounter a situation where 1A or 1K is already taken when I come to select a seat.

chipster Dec 11, 2010 6:29 am

Since 1A/K are reserved, it's not surprising that those who can take them, DO take them. I love 1A/K even when I am on my own because I like the view from the forward window, and it feels all nice and cosy right down there at the front.

HIDDY Dec 11, 2010 6:36 am

Originally Posted by joejet (Post 15425867)
I'm traveling with 2 kids in F would I be better with 1k 2k 3k or 4E 4F 4K kids are 9 and 6.

I would stick to three seats in row 5. Handy for the lavs.

Phil the Flyer Dec 11, 2010 6:41 am

Originally Posted by joejet (Post 15425867)

I'm traveling with 2 kids in F would I be better with 1k 2k 3k or 4E 4F 4K kids are 9 and 6.

Given your profile is BAEC Silver you might struggle to get 1K. In such circumstances the advice of my learned South America-based Scottish friend might be worth heeding.

G-BOAC Dec 11, 2010 6:43 am

Every single flight that I can - experience just like The Saint's story above (now I think about it, that includes one the time it turned out to be him who'd nabbed 1A before me so I had to take 1K! :D).