Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where has B77W G-STBB gone?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Glenn Miller is still missing too.
So is Shergar.

Is there a conection? We should be told
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird218

Its nothing exciting I am afraid.
You've been here a year - you should know by now exactly how low the threshold is on this forum for something to be classified as "exciting"
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I thought LCY was closed because of freezing fog, not so much snow?
No, snow. Although at least one morning it would have been both, and I suspect this morning it was just fog that messed things up. There's a large snow pile in the usual place, next to the fire trainer (although I don't know why they don't just push it over into the dock), and the sound of their snow clearer was audible across the area at length. Living next to LCY and working near LHR, the difference in snowfall between the two places is quite surprising.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by flyBD
Just wondering what's happened to G-STBB ...
Still missing?
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:17 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Looks like she's back in service. Operated BA295 to Chicago yesterday (Saturday 11dec)
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
It was certainly sitting at T5 yesterday late morning, looking very clean and polished.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by BOH
Hope not. The 747 pax series have had their day and the market has truly voted with their feet on the 747-8i.
The market being those who actually make the buy decision, -- the airlines, right?

Originally Posted by BOH
The A380, A350 and 773 (probably a next gen 773) is the way to go for the VLA market....the vast majority of airlines certainly think so ^
Yes, they certainly seem to. But have they asked the pax? In my informal, very small sample, unscientific poll, I have yet to find a single passenger who prefers the 773-ER over the 747 series. And if you narrow that sample down to premium cabins, I bet that it will be even more so. There's just no way to compare any cabin or seat in the 773 to the nosecone or upper deck of the 744.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
One of the reasons why I prefer the 747 over the 777 is the lower cabin altitude. I'm unlikely to fly CW any time soon, so the UD has no draw for me, but I find it a much more comfortable flight than the 777.

Jumbodriver's post here confirms the difference in cabin altitude. Both the 747 and A380 operate at a lower "altitude" than the 777.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Hope not. The 747 pax series have had their day and the market has truly voted with their feet on the 747-8i

Fundamentally it is still a 1960's structural design and no amount of "warming over" will change this. It's like Ford trying to sell a 2010 updated version of the Mk 2 Cortina to the market....even re-engining it and giving it an interior makeover won't change the fact it is still based on a Mk 2 Cortina.

The A380, A350 and 773 (probably a next gen 773) is the way to go for the VLA market....the vast majority of airlines certainly think so ^
Whilst the market does seem to be heading that way there will never be another aircraft like the 747!!

The 747 upper deck "private jet" experience is unsurpassed by any other aircraft IMHO. If airlines actually asked frequent long haul travellers what they thought then they would find this was a common comment.

And will the "market" get sick of 10 abreast seating on the 77W? Trouble is for every person who vows never to travel again in a 77W 10 abreast cabin there is someone else willing to pay the fare if it's low enough...

After 20 years of 747 travel in which it's never once put a foot wrong I for one will be very sad to see the 747 go. Aviation will just not be the same any more!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by WHITMIMI
After 20 years of 747 travel in which it's never once put a foot wrong I for one will be very sad to see the 747 go. Aviation will just not be the same any more!
In a previous generation people said the same about the VC-10. A few of us saddos still do !
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by WHBM
In a previous generation people said the same about the VC-10. A few of us saddos still do !
I am the same about the Sopwith-Camel.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:21 pm

^ Amen to that.

As a child of the 70s, for me the 747 embodies commercial aviation. It is iconic. Whilst Concorde said speed and luxury, the 747 brought long haul travel to the masses. For me, no other plane can match the elegance of its lines. Whatever can be said of the A380, "beauty" is not it. All other single decked planes are just so boring. Give me a nose and an upstairs. Long live the 747!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:15 pm

And will the "market" get sick of 10 abreast seating on the 77W? Trouble is for every person who vows never to travel again in a 77W 10 abreast cabin there is someone else willing to pay the fare if it's low enough...
For the avoidance of doubt, British Airways Boeing 777s of all types fly with 9 abreast seating in World Traveller and have done for some considerable time.

To my knowledge, AFKL, EY, EK and NZ (with their forthcoming 77Ws) and perhaps others have moved to 10 abreast, but BA is sticking with 9.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by The Saint
^ Amen to that.

As a child of the 70s, for me the 747 embodies commercial aviation. It is iconic. Whilst Concorde said speed and luxury, the 747 brought long haul travel to the masses. For me, no other plane can match the elegance of its lines. Whatever can be said of the A380, "beauty" is not it. All other single decked planes are just so boring. Give me a nose and an upstairs. Long live the 747!
Couldn't agree more.^ I still watch to this day when a 747 lands or takes off even 40 years after looking up while in Hyde Park seeing my first one; a Pan Am on descent into LHR. Love the aircraft and envy the people who have actually piloted one of them.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by WHBM
well the good old vc10's and tristars are still knocking around in service with the RAF

always lovely to see them still flying
cs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.