Wiki Posts
Search

LAX vs SFO reward availability?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:49 am
Original Poster

LAX vs SFO reward availability?

I am just curious about this...

When i booked my F trip(4 seats) earlier this month i assumed availability would be much harder to get to/from SFO however this appears to not be the case. We are flying into LAX late August and out of SFO, would have actually preferred to go a few weeks earlier however there is nothing June/July and the first half of Aug to/from LAX(not even for 2 seats), at least in First -its as if seats have never been released

However upon checking now, i see there is availbility to/from SFO all throughout summer, i can get 4 F seats almost any day. I just assumed if there was no seats until late Aug to/from LAX, the situation would be the same with SFO.

Thinking now about changing and flying into SFO, out LAX so we can do this trip a few weeks earlier.

I was just wondering why F availability is so good to SFO, and harder to come by on the better served LAX route.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I would imagine demand on the LAX route would be higher, simple as that.

Remember, you would have a relatively high number of VIPs travelling the route.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:28 am

Programs: Various
I've given up on trying to fathom why availability changes. It ebbs and flows like the weather. If it's there, grab it. If it isn't, it may become available, or it may not. I've always found LAX to have fantastic availability in F.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donkeyk
I've always found LAX to have fantastic availability in F.
For 4 F seats to be available basically every day over summer to SFO, but nothing to LAX until Aug 17+, i just found it surprising having also been under the impression that availability was fantastic.

Decision now is to keep the preferred flight into LAX late August, or go a few weeks earlier at the end of July although into SFO. Every change will cost 60so keen not to make too many.

I think Aug/Sept are better months to visit CA over July(can still get some June Gloom in So Cal) although July is more convent. Maybe im putting to much thought into it again

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LA metro population is 3 times the size of SF's, but BA's capacity into LA is only 1.5 times that of SF. That may be a factor!

Also, keep in mind that you can fly from SFO to LAX in Y-class for around GBP43 (if you wait for a fare "sale" by monitoring prices on www.yapta.com). Virgin America is by far the best carrier but it doesn't interline with BA, so if you're connecting they'll stick you with USD 25 per bag in fees; if connecting choose AA or UA (both equally bad).

Last edited by hillrider; Nov 30, 2010 at 11:44 am
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
always found SFO easier for J/F awards than LAX.

If you're just connecting, SFO is far preferable as you avoid TBIT.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by hillrider
Also, keep in mind that you can fly from SFO to LAX in Y-class for around GBP43 (if you wait for a fare "sale" by monitoring prices on www.yapta.com). Virgin America is by far the best carrier but it doesn't interline with BA, so if you're connecting they'll stick you with USD 25 per bag in fees; if connecting choose AA or UA (both equally bad).
I would recommend Virgin America, they also currently fly from the International terminal, so even without interline, it is pretty easy to recheck in with them (walk out border/custom on level 2), take elevator or escalators up one level and check in. Their first class is worth it too.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by hillrider
but BA's capacity into LA is only 1.5 times that of SF.
I thought that there were only 2 daily BA flights to LAX (on BA metal)
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: BAEC (blue), HHonors (gold), Marriot (gold), Hertz/ Avis (PC)
I had a bit of an issue booking my upcoming flights to LAX, again 4 F's, but had to be very flexible with dates and in the end ended up calling and just getting it booked on the phone as it was getting too stressful trying online!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alvintc
I had a bit of an issue booking my upcoming flights to LAX, again 4 F's, but had to be very flexible with dates and in the end ended up calling and just getting it booked on the phone as it was getting too stressful trying online!
Did you get dates over summer? Perhaps might try and call today, although it looks like until Aug 17th everything is blocked out/taken. Even though we would prefer to go earlier in Aug, even July... would prefer to fly into LAX, and perhaps even out now. I am a rare breed of person who doesnt mind TBIT at all, and find the booming gentlemans voiceover on arrival welcoming.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gshumway
I would recommend Virgin America, they also currently fly from the International terminal, so even without interline, it is pretty easy to recheck in with them (walk out border/custom on level 2), take elevator or escalators up one level and check in. Their first class is worth it too.
I was of that opinion but realized that they're not a IATA carrier, so if you no show because your inbound is late you're technically left with nothing (VX tickets that aren't cancelled before departure lose their complete value). VX may be more accommodating than this, but I wouldn't want the extra stress. And yes, their business class is pretty awesome.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by francophile
I thought that there were only 2 daily BA flights to LAX (on BA metal)
They go up to 3 in the summer.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:00 am
Original Poster

I have heard good things about Virgin America but i can imagine with luggage costs it would add up for a short domestic.

Is their plenty of options to fly from LAS to SFO? Our trip is 19days. Instead of going early in summer, i was thinking of keeping out mid Aug LAX dept to avoid the peak school holiday July-mid Aug season, and also returning from LAX with doing SFO/LAS in the middle(LA is our base).

Arr LA, week car rental ending in LAS, spend 3 night there 'carless', fly to SFO spend 2 night there 'carless', then take another wks car rental and drive back to LA via PCH where we will depart from.

Am i correct that we wouldnt need a car for the 5 days in the middle taking in LAS/SFO, and that different drop off points are fine with no or little extra cost?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by pazza2000
I have heard good things about Virgin America but i can imagine with luggage costs it would add up for a short domestic.

Is their plenty of options to fly from LAS to SFO? Our trip is 19days. Instead of going early in summer, i was thinking of keeping out mid Aug LAX dept to avoid the peak school holiday July-mid Aug season, and also returning from LAX with doing SFO/LAS in the middle(LA is our base).

Arr LA, week car rental ending in LAS, spend 3 night there 'carless', fly to SFO spend 2 night there 'carless', then take another wks car rental and drive back to LA via PCH where we will depart from.

Am i correct that we wouldnt need a car for the 5 days in the middle taking in LAS/SFO, and that different drop off points are fine with no or little extra cost?
Hi pazza2000,

The options from LAS-SFO are ( apart from virgin america);

Southwest
United ( both non stop and via LAX)
American ( via LAX)
I would check on luggage fees prior to booking ( I do not think Southwest charge)

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.