Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AIRMILES. The UK reward scheme

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
I cant remember where I read it now but I am sure I read that Airmiles Lloyds TSB card would soon be issuing 2 for 1 voucheres simlilar to the BA Miles Amex.
A premium version of the Airmiles card was available last year at a fee which gave a companion voucher(for economy flights only), although this appears to have been withdrawn.

It came with a poor earning rate anyway IMO, and required a 15k spend.

Tesco is the best way to earn followed by shell driving club, and the occasional estore bonus can be pretty generous.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Aeroplan, Amex Plat
Is the booking code and therefore indicator of whether or not the fare will get miles/tier points, the letter after "BK:" when clicking on fare rules at the quote page?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Originally Posted by pazza2000
A premium version of the Airmiles card was available last year at a fee which gave a companion voucher(for economy flights only), although this appears to have been withdrawn.
Still there, with a 50 fee (unless you have a fee-charging Lloyds TSB Premier current account). It offers 1.25 Airmiles per 10 on the AmEx card.
http://www.airmiles.co.uk/collect/ll...rom=dos-lloyds

The LloydsTSB cards offer double miles for foreign charges. I'm trying to work out whether that's worth the 2.95% surcharge. Probably not, but it's a differentiating factor.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Roger
Still there, with a 50 fee (unless you have a fee-charging Lloyds TSB Premier current account). It offers 1.25 Airmiles per 10 on the AmEx card.

The LloydsTSB cards offer double miles for foreign charges. I'm trying to work out whether that's worth the 2.95% surcharge. Probably not, but it's a differentiating factor.
Thanks for that roger.

The 50 fee is not too bad as it effectively allows you to double your airmiles.

Also being able to spend 15,000 in a year on a mastercard wouldnt be too hard either!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also being able to spend 15,000 in a year on a mastercard wouldnt be too hard either!
But not the LloydsTSB Airmiles Duo Mastercard, please, if you want to earn miles! (The AmEx part is OK).

The MC is probably the worst value anywhere at just 1 Airmile per 50 or 1.25 Airmiles per 50 for the fee version. (The AmEx part is 1 Airmile per 10.)

The companion ticket is economy only, as pazza2000 mentioned, though as it includes 'taxes' is not to be sniffed at.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:40 am

The plan would be to earn airmiles via tesco, then using the card purely for its 2 for 1 voucher.

As long as spend on the MC counts as the overall spend?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to spend at least 15,000 on the fee-payable LloydsTSB Airmiles Duo cards to get the companion ticket.

If you're going to do this, spend on the LloydsTSB Airmiles AmEx for the better return, and use the LloydsTSB Airmiles MasterCard with its poor earning rate purely for emergency. On the AmEx, you earn 10 Airmiles per 100 but only 2 on the MC. Tesco do accept AmEx instore and mostly online.

Tesco and other points don't count for the companion ticket offer unless associated expenditure is on the LLTSBAMD* cards.

* saves typing out the full name, which has to be mentioned as not all cards are the same.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Roger
You need to spend at least 15,000 on the fee-payable LloydsTSB Airmiles Duo cards to get the companion ticket.

If you're going to do this, spend on the LloydsTSB Airmiles AmEx for the better return, and use the LloydsTSB Airmiles MasterCard with its poor earning rate purely for emergency. On the AmEx, you earn 10 Airmiles per 100 but only 2 on the MC. Tesco do accept AmEx instore and mostly online.

Tesco and other points don't count for the companion ticket offer unless associated expenditure is on the LLTSBAMD* cards.

* saves typing out the full name, which has to be mentioned as not all cards are the same.
Thanks for the tip ref higher earnings rate.

I am however confused about the 2 for 1. Surely it means that you are able to book two flights using the airmiles in your account (however you may have got them)?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am however confused about the 2 for 1. Surely it means that you are able to book two flights using the airmiles in your account (however you may have got them)?
Sorry, no.

After you've spent 15,000 on the LloydsTSB Airmiles Duo Premier card/s, they put an online voucher in your Airmiles account.
Originally Posted by T+Cs
# One Companion Ticket will be awarded per customer per year subject to a minimum credit card spend of 15,000 per year. 15,000 spend threshold excludes balance transfers, refunded purchases, interest, fees and other charges.
# To qualify for a Companion Ticket the cardholder must have spent a minimum of 15,000 in the 12 months preceding the anniversary of opening the Lloyds TSB Duo Premier Credit Card Account. In each subsequent year cardholders will qualify if, they have spent a minimum of 15,000 in the preceding 12 months. Companion tickets are limited to one per year. A year will commence on the anniversary of the credit card account.
# Cardholders will be notified if they have qualified for a Companion Ticket via a voucher on their Airmiles online account approximately 4 weeks after reaching the spend threshold of 15,000

That provision is similar to the BA AmEx twofer, except that that one is in any class while the Airmiles twofer is economy only, albeit including 'taxes'.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Yes i see it is still there. Had a search a month or so ago for it and i swear it had dissappeared.

So 50.00 fee, 1.25 per on the AMEX, 1500 miles voucher, and a 2-4-1(on BA economy only) once you have spent 15k on it?

Something to consider next year, i have already used up all my paypal top up allowance for this year Would be good on a SYD redeption, or even better W.Coast USA when a reduced rate of 6k miles is on offer. Still quite happy to travel in Y for now...

Re. The current CE 2-4-1, i 'think' you can use it twice, or so i am going for tonight -will report back! With my domestic connections I should have been charged 2k for 4pax although was charged 1k after trying a few agents, i get the impression that they have some fleixiblity at their end.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... 1.25 per on the AMEX ...
Unfortunately 1.25 per 10.
Re. The current CE 2-4-1, i 'think' you can use it twice, or so i am going for tonight -will report back!
I'm all ears!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inasmuchas
Used my Tesco 2-4-1 voucher today to book flights to Italy for the second May Bank Holiday next year. The added bonus is that we managed to book them into I class, so a decent helping of miles and TPs on top of a very, very good deal.

Booking through the call centre can be a challenge though. Like most organisations there are wonderful agents (both a pleasure to deal with and competent), and then there are those who are neither. I had to navigate through two of the latter before I got an agent who was able to help, but as we were eventually booked into I class, it was worth the effort.
How did you book into I class? Did you just request and persevere per my advice.

My first trip(for 4) i did not bother requesting an I class fare, knew it would be hard for 4pax.

However now im trying to book another(for 4 again) and i would not mind an I class fare, at least for myself. Suspect however we will all need to be on the same fare code and it will be difficult to find seats for 4 in I.

Last edited by pazza2000; Nov 23, 2010 at 2:16 pm
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Originally Posted by INMS
Is the booking code and therefore indicator of whether or not the fare will get miles/tier points, the letter after "BK:" when clicking on fare rules at the quote page?
Yes, it will typically say something along the lines of BK: G

On BA flights it will more often than not appear as X for Economy, or U for Club (neither of which earn), but with a bit of perseverance and some luck I've found G and O for Economy, and I for Club (all of which earn miles and TPs).

Good luck.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
How did you book into I class? Did you just request and persevere per my advice.

My first trip(for 4) i did not bother requesting an I class fare, knew it would be hard for 4pax.

However now im trying to book another(for 4 again) and i would not mind an I class fare, at least for myself. Suspect however we will all need to be on the same fare code and it will be difficult to find seats for 4 in I.
Initially I spent a bit of time on the phone to Airmiles – firstly to a less than helpful agent who couldn't understand why I was requesting 'I' class... "The letter doesn't matter, it's still Business Class" I was advised. I called back and the second agent was much more helpful, understanding my request and knowing what to look for. Sadly, however, she wasn't able to find I class on the dates/route I was requesting.

I then spent some time on the Airmiles website searching different dates and routes, and eventually found two flights in I class. Once I had found them, I was back on the phone to make the booking. Upon request, the agent was able to confirm they were in I class.

When I was conducting these searches I was doing so for two pax, so I would assume that both pax need to be booked into the same fare bucket. It would be interesting to hear if it would work if there was only had one seat in I and one in U.

Also very interested to hear if the offer/voucher is able to be used more than once.

Last edited by inasmuchas; Nov 23, 2010 at 5:33 pm
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Zone 1-2 CE Flights(One of the best value AIRMILES redemptions) are likely to show as U class online, this may not be because that is all that is available. It is AIRMILES objective to release the lower fare seats first. Want to earn Miles and Tier points, call AIRMILES!! Ask them to book you into 'I' class.
I have booked BMI flights from LHR to DUB using Airmiles.co.uk before and received miles at the lowest rate. Does anyone know if its possible to phone them and ask for a better earning class for BMI flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.