Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by elbandido
pls can i get a referral.

pls PM me
PM sent
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
tick tock tick tock (countdown music playing)

duh duh, duh duh, dadada da
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:08 pm

Two AmEx Platinum Card Referrals At £300 (rather than the increased rate of £450)

Hello!

For those that are interested, I believe that I can offer two referrals - created prior to the 16 April 2012 "switchover point" - that advertise and therefore offer the American Express Platinum Charge Card with an annual fee of GBP 300 - as opposed to the increased rate of GBP 450.

The referrals come in the form of emails, which I would strongly suggest are kept as evidence of the "reduced rate" referral.

You will also be entitled to 42,000 membership rewards points for a placed spend of GBP 1,500 within the first three months of the card ownership.

For clarity, I will also benefit from this arrangement - with American Express offering me membership reward points for the referral, should the card issuance be approved.

Please private message me for the referral links.

Thank you!

Last edited by frequentglobetrotter; Apr 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm Reason: Additional information and advice included.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Referral links from before the increase still link to a page showing the annual fee of £450.

Are you suggesting someone uses an email that wasn't addressed to them, sent months ago, to claim the annual fee should be £300, even though the web site says £450 when you click the referral link?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by chistery
Referral links from before the increase still link to a page showing the annual fee of £450.

Are you suggesting someone uses an email that wasn't addressed to them, sent months ago, to claim the annual fee should be £300, even though the web site says £450 when you click the referral link?
^^^ shameless touting of the worst kind
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by chistery

I prefer to deal in facts rather than assumptions.

- The referral emails do not, at any point, contain any reference to an individual. The fact that it was sent to an email address is irrelevant - after all, many of us have several email addresses.

- The referrals, in this case, were created on 13 April 2012 - hardly "months ago"

- Finally, the annual fee for the American Express Platinum Charge Card has been increased to GBP 450 from 16 April 2012. If someone were to apply based on this link, they are likely to be charged this fee. That said, the referral email very clearly notes the annual fee at GBP 300 and was created prior to "crossover point" for the annual fee. Colleagues and forum posters have found that in these cases American Express have held the fee at GBP 300 (either automatically or after one call to customer services).

I am sure that you will find that these facts are more productive and helpful than your speculative exaggerations and misrepresentations.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
^^^ shameless touting of the worst kind
I disagree. Please see the above post for your information.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Should anyone take up this 'offer', they are 99% certain to be charged £450 and will then have to spend months fighting with Amex over whether the fact that a referral email mentioning £300 should override the 4-5 mentions of £450 they will have seen during the application process. Doesn't sound like fun to me.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Raffles
Should anyone take up this 'offer', they are 99% certain to be charged £450 and will then have to spend months fighting with Amex over whether the fact that a referral email mentioning £300 should override the 4-5 mentions of £450 they will have seen during the application process. Doesn't sound like fun to me.
So true - I could never describe any of my interactions with Amex as "fun".

Quite the opposite in fact.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Apr 22, 2012 at 2:16 am
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:45 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
So true - I could never describe any of my interactions with Amex as "fun".

Quite the opposite in fact.
Well I don't agree.

I still haven't gotten my 42k bonus (because I had an existing mr account) but when I rang yesterday they couldn't have been more helpful.

Also, I have had to call twice because of a late payment fee that was not my fault they have both times instantly waived the fee, no questions asked.

It's a different quality service from tesco or Lloyd's, both of which I am pondering canceling because they are so hard to deal with.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Arrow

This message is for FTers who have recently joined this thread. It has grown into a lengthy thread and if you have been following the tail end of the discussion, I highly recommend reading Raffles' originating post if you haven't already done so - it is regularly updated and provides an excellent overview of this promotion.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Prospero
This message is for FTers who have recently joined this thread. It has grown into a lengthy thread and if you have been following the tail end of the discussion, I highly recommend reading Raffles' originating post if you haven't already done so - it is regularly updated and provides an excellent overview of this promotion.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
With respect, how are people supposed to find your post to know this, in a > 2k thread.

Suggest you update the title instead.

Just a thought
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Originally Posted by Prospero
Raffles' originating post
Originally Posted by dc2447
With respect, how are people supposed to find your post to know this, in a > 2k thread.

Suggest you update the title instead.

Just a thought
It's the first post in this thread...
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 21H21J
It's the first post in this thread...
His post was #2633 suggesting we retread the first post

Illogical
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
It really is a matter for any interested parties to decide themselves, I guess.

I agree that the "base case" scenario - and the one that people should assume - is that the fee will be charged at GBP 450. That said, there is a clear reason to contest this with AmEx - given that the annual fee is very clearly indicated at GBP 300 on the marketing document and initial contact (referral email).

AmEx are not likely to want to annoy new customers - as they will immediately cancel - and I would suggest that they will honor their marketing materials, not least as any complaint to the financial ombudsman (not that I imagine it would get to that stage has a cost to AmEx (I believe GBP 500?).

Of note, a colleague of mine applied through such a referral link that I sent him. When the card arrived, the fee was noted as GBP 450 for the year. He made one phone call to complain and activate the card. During this call, he was assured that he would be charged GBP 300 - on account of the referral email and that if he was charged any excess this would be immediately refunded.

It is an opportunity, but one that I would suggested is viewed as a chance and one where the email is kept and the offer availed of sooner, rather than later.

In any case, an applicant now will be paying GBP 450 - why not take the chance and see if the dice fall in your favor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.