Community
Wiki Posts
Search

52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Or, via the ebay route if you want to try recoup some of the £300 annual fee.
Or, if posts upthread are to beleived, take the best offer from your pms...
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: qantas , golden circle
Sorry - I'm being a bit thick - how can I save money on ebay?

Thanks for the messages - I'm still deciding.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Irish Angel
Sorry - I'm being a bit thick - how can I save money on ebay?

Thanks for the messages - I'm still deciding.
People are "selling" the right to refer you, and will pay you up to £100 once you've been approved and they get the points.

Its risky and probably against some T&Cs somewhere however.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Paralytic
People are "selling" the right to refer you, and will pay you up to £100 once you've been approved and they get the points.

Its risky and probably against some T&Cs somewhere however.
It's not against any T's and C's and sure, the only thing you have to lose is a £100 kick back....but if you take the time to check out the persons feedback, and ask a question if you're not sure about something, I see no risk. However, if anybody on this thread would care to offer the same .............................
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
It's not against any T's and C's and sure, the only thing you have to lose is a £100 kick back....but if you take the time to check out the persons feedback, and ask a question if you're not sure about something, I see no risk. However, if anybody on this thread would care to offer the same .............................
Am sure we would all love to, but not allowed to....
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Irish Angel
I'm moving back to the UK and have been reading this thread. Looks like a good card to have - I've had Amex here in Sydney for a while. Does it have to be applied for by a referral - if so would anyone like to refer me please?
Hi, just going slightly off topic for a second, - and I do not know when you are moving/moved back to the UK, but have you considered two other credit card deals that there MIGHT be an argument to do first:

Firstly:
BMI: Lufthansa group are planning to sell this airline (currently in *A) to BA (IAG). However, it is legendary for having an immensly generous frequent flyer programme currently - and also a credit card with a high signup bonus for very little spend (just £250 on the card in 90 days).
Given the signup bonus (20k+), and the low part cash part miles redemption rates, and low spend, I would consider doing this card first while the opportunity remains - then make a quick star alliance redemption. Alternativly I'd consider doing it and just sitting on the resulting miles in case they become BAEC miles or some other scheme. The worst case is you will miss out on what ever loyalty points you would have earnt on another creidt card for that £250 spend. Say about 500 BA Miles max, = to about £5. I.e. worth a gamble even if you sit on the miles hoping they become BA Avios, etc. But you equally might still sneak in a great value redemption.
[There is no refer a friend for this, sadly!]
There are 2 versions of the BMI card account (both come with an Amex and a Visa card), the free version has 20k signup bonus, and slightly reduced earning rates. The paid version has 24k singup bonus, 4k BMI status miles each year, and a £85 annual fee. Personally, I'd forget about the status miles due to the life span of BMI, and for the same reason I would forget about the higher earn rate. Just get the free card, and put through the minimum.
See plenty of threads in the BMI section about this card.
http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/loya...edit-card.aspx
N.b. Offer on until end of Feb, 4k status miles even with the free card:
http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/loya...px?cmp=em21135
- you never know, bmi status miles ight become prorated BAEC tier points but I seriously doubt it.
The signup miles I'd say are certainly worth a punt with the free card, just put £250 through it, but time is running out to play this game.

Secondly: The Avios.com cards:
These have a 10x points bonus on for first three months, if you apply before end march, see the other thread in the BA section of FT. Given the size of this bonus, you might want to put all spend on this card for the duration of the period, and aviod even minimal spend on other cards during the period. Come back to the singup bonuses on other cards later.

As I said, just some thougths.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze :-(, United, Virgin, Starwood, Marriott
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
^ - What britbronco22 said.

I thought it was against the rules to offer incentives for referrals??

Also, this kind of thing is likely to just make Amex stop offering referral bonuses, killing it for people who genuinely recommend the cards to their true friends.
Agree ^

I have had people asking for my "best offer" to refer them. I have gone back to them and made it clear that this is not why I am added myself to page one of this thread (I just thought I would pick up one or two referrals).

Still not had one
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
^ - What britbronco22 said.

I thought it was against the rules to offer incentives for referrals??

Too many takers on threads like this!
I find the whole idea of them distasteful and vulgar.

Also, this kind of thing is likely to just make Amex stop offering referral bonuses, killing it for people who genuinely recommend the cards to their true friends.
So,all the 'referals' in this thread are aimed at all their genuinely 'true friends'? What rubbish.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
So,all the 'referals' in this thread are aimed at all their genuinely 'true friends'? What rubbish.
Huh? True friends, ie: people you know in the real world.

I dont think threads like this are what Amex had in mind when they started offering "refer a friend" bonuses.

Otherwise they would call it the "refer a random stranger from the internet for money bonus".
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:09 pm
Used to be BAWatersideGuy

Programs: BAEC Blue, El Al Matmid, Amex Plat, PP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CX Gold, C.Carlson Gold, Hertz/Avis
Huh? True friends, ie: people you know in the real world.

I dont think threads like this are what Amex had in mind when they started offering "refer a friend" bonuses.

Otherwise they would call it the "refer a random stranger from the internet for money bonus".
Spot on! ^
I never got involved with FT to pester people for referrals or lay in wait to poach them. By my luck I have been able to give 2 referrals to people that have contacted me by PM from my name on P.1. Maybe I have a Username that speaks to people!

Completely OT but I look out the window at this snow coming down and just pray that it's gone by Monday - I don't want to be called over the road to be directing cold angry pax to the exit doors!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by BAWatersideGuy
Spot on! ^
I never got involved with FT to pester people for referrals or lay in wait to poach them. By my luck I have been able to give 2 referrals to people that have contacted me by PM from my name on P.1. Maybe I have a Username that speaks to people!

Completely OT but I look out the window at this snow coming down and just pray that it's gone by Monday - I don't want to be called over the road to be directing cold angry pax to the exit doors!
Glad you agree BAWG, I wouldn't refer a random stranger anyway. The risk of it linking back to me if they ended up defaulting on payments would be not worth it in my opinion.

We'll probably have a flood of people saying it doesn't make any difference, and that they dont look at that, data protection etc.

All I know is that banks hold a LOT of info on us and I dont want ANYTHING standing in the way of me and my Centurion invite which must surely be round the corner (I guess they are just busy)

Also, strange that all those AAA credit rated people seemed to get rejected for the Lloyds Avios card recently isn't it

WRT the snow, I'm actually quite happy if I dont have to work this week, I really needed a break and next holiday for me isn't until March !!

Last edited by PanGalactic; Feb 4, 2012 at 8:14 pm
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Talking Happy to refer.

I am happy to refer, please PM me your name and email address.^

Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Had a big laugh last night when my OH was rejected for a Plat card! This is despite her stand alone 6 figure salary plus of course her implicit credit guarantee that comes from living with me for the last decade. The mistake, I think, was that they gave her a £21k limit for her BA Amex last year, and I should have reduced this to £5k or so at the time. No point in reapplying immediately as I only did it for the Cathay card and that closes next week.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Had a big laugh last night when my OH was rejected for a Plat card! This is despite her stand alone 6 figure salary plus of course her implicit credit guarantee that comes from living with me for the last decade. The mistake, I think, was that they gave her a £21k limit for her BA Amex last year, and I should have reduced this to £5k or so at the time. No point in reapplying immediately as I only did it for the Cathay card and that closes next week.
/.....................

Last edited by SIMCutter; Feb 7, 2012 at 5:14 am
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Thompst
I am happy to refer, please PM me your name and email address.^

Such generosity brings a tear to my eye

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.