Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Which careers involve lots of long haul business travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which careers involve lots of long haul business travel?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I would love to be an arms dealer. So much more respectable than working in advertising.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Priority Spire, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
International gigolo (in my dreams)!

Chartered civil engineer (in reality).
I didnt think you could go into civil engineering with a biomedical engineering degree, although it sounds interesting.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Priority Spire, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I would love to be an arms dealer. So much more respectable than working in advertising.
Not quite sure about the arms dealing. lol
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Be careful in what you wish for.

I work for a managemnet consultancy and my job involves quite a lot of long haul business travel.

This includes spending tomorrow to fly to Kuwait (where it's 46 degrees and ramadan), returning Tuesday morning.

That's it... 2 long haul flights in 3 days, plus two nights in a suite in the J.W. Marriott in Kuwait City.

Unfortuately, instead of reporting on the booze in the lounges and on board, I have a 360 page report to read on the way out and a report and long series of emails to write on the way back.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thegoderic

I work for a managemnet consultancy and my job involves quite a lot of long haul business travel.

This includes spending tomorrow to fly to Kuwait (where it's 46 degrees and ramadan), returning Tuesday morning.

That's it... 2 long haul flights in 3 days, plus two nights in a suite in the J.W. Marriott in Kuwait City.

Unfortuately, instead of reporting on the booze in the lounges and on board, I have a 360 page report to read on the way out and a report and long series of emails to write on the way back.
I guess the novelty would wear off at some point but I would still like to pursue it. I should think though that you would be in air-conditioned buildings most of the time in Kuwait. I havent been there but Ive been to dubai during Ramadam and you can still buy alcohol in the hotel bar at some of the big chains.

Its a shame you couldnt get some sleep on the plane though.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thegoderic
Mind you it still sounds better than what i'm currently doing. I'm still at my part time job till I get into my career. I had to wake up at 3am to go to work. I spend 2 hours unloading a lorry at 4am and then the rest of my shift working in a -18 degree freezer for tuppence an hour. 46 degrees actually sounds alot more appealing to be honest.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Kuwait is completely dry.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I think CONSULTING is the key -I am an in house troubleshooter for a major German technology company and I am fortunate enough to travel nearly every week. However, as others have said, be WARNED -long haul travel -even in premium cabins -takes it's toll on your family, friends and waistline. I have woken up in the middle of night feeling so confused that I have NO idea where I am -this has happened at hotels, but also at home -I forgot where my bathroom was -at home.

My background is Law -I qualified as a solicitor, got totally bored, so decided to spread my wings so to speak!

Do a job you enjoy -you're a long time dead
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I think CONSULTING is the key -I am an in house troubleshooter for a major German technology company and I am fortunate enough to travel nearly every week. However, as others have said, be WARNED -long haul travel -even in premium cabins -takes it's toll on your family, friends and waistline. I have woken up in the middle of night feeling so confused that I have NO idea where I am -this has happened at hotels, but also at home -I forgot where my bathroom was -at home.

My background is Law -I qualified as a solicitor, got totally bored, so decided to spread my wings so to speak!

Do a job you enjoy -you're a long time dead
Wow. Ive just seen your flight log on flight 97. lots of travel and miles. Of course I am aiming for a job i enjoy. It seems as though there are alot of jobs/positions that I havent even heard of/considered/thought i would be able to get into. Its interesting to get some viewpoints from people out there and find out how to get stuck in.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Kuwait is completely dry.
Thanks for the update, although I dont really drink (perhaps once or twice a year) so wouldnt affect me really.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Academia - couple of Euros and a TATL every year. But always Y
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dnajockey
Academia - couple of Euros and a TATL every year. But always Y
it seemed to me that alot of universities are cutting down on travel this year, given government funding cuts and cuts from private industries
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dominic14
I dont really drink (perhaps once or twice a year)
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
The novelty will wear off very, very quickly, so rather than focus on any job with business travel, find a career you enjoy and look for the travel opportunities within it.

I've never worked in sales or consulting or the aviation industry or the usual suspects, but jobs in the public sector and academia have still afforded me many opportunities for frequent travel (over 50 countries now on business and pleasure).
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I know. alot of people say that. I usually stick to just celebrations such as weddings really. I;m actually trying to stay quite healthy, go to the gym, although i do get seriously tempted with chocolate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.