Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Which careers involve lots of long haul business travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which careers involve lots of long haul business travel?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:33 pm

For once I feel useful on this board:

I am in Canada at the present moment on the Working Holiday visa programme so can tell you all about it! Very easy to get, if not a little costly but it is a very open visa and lasts for a year on entry.

Come to somewhere like Vancouver - its amazing! Check out flights ex-EU starting in DUS - I got here for 400 return in ET - nothing compared to the sale prices ex-UK!!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by jimbosmith300
Come to somewhere like Vancouver - its amazing
Until the rain starts about November, then its lots of overcast. Vancouver is beautiful when the sun shines though. All I've been able to figure out for any sort of industry there is growing pot, speculating in real estate and making video games.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:39 pm

hah well okay about the rain - I've been very lucky - been here since late June and yesterday was probably the second day of rain in that whole time! But hey ... lots of overcast ... doesn't sound too different from home (UK!)
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
hah well okay about the rain - I've been very lucky - been here since late June and yesterday was probably the second day of rain in that whole time!
Summer in Vancouver is usually very nice. I visited in February once and they had not seen any sun for 6 weeks. I'd want to slit my wrists if I had to live through that, but then I do live in the sunniest city in Canada. I think we average 325 days of sun a year, or some such number.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
hah well okay about the rain - I've been very lucky - been here since late June and yesterday was probably the second day of rain in that whole time! But hey ... lots of overcast ... doesn't sound too different from home (UK!)
It was pretty sunny today...could even spot BA87 coming into land from my office.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Priority Spire, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Dominic14
Are there opportunities in the United Arab Emirates region for graduates? If so, how does one go about it?

SIXTH FREEDOM:

Be careful with the Gulf. I live in Qatar and I would not go there to work without at least a few years experience otherwise you are likely to get completely taken advantage of.

It is a great place to be if you have some experience and are stubborn though.

What do you mean by being taken advantage of? and why the requirement to be stubborn?

I was thinking that just to get some experience on my C.V and the possibility of opening up doors might happen in UAE. It does seem however that most jobs over there require experience.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Are there opportunities in the United Arab Emirates region for graduates? If so, how does one go about it?

SIXTH FREEDOM:

Be careful with the Gulf. I live in Qatar and I would not go there to work without at least a few years experience otherwise you are likely to get completely taken advantage of.

It is a great place to be if you have some experience and are stubborn though.
Agree 100%. My sister went there as a NQ teacher (Bahrain)- she lived a nice life, met her husband there, and is now living in Cheshire! But be careful- worker's rights are limited; Be sensitive to the culture; and don't get into debt or you may not get your passport back
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by RayG
It was pretty sunny today...could even spot BA87 coming into land from my office.
Wow, big office
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Priority Spire, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
a job at last.

Apologies for the super late reply.

Just thought id let you guys know that i found and started a job. Its in audit for one of the big four accountancy firms. No travel for newbie grads but something I am pursuing.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: BA gold
Apologies for the super late reply.

Just thought id let you guys know that i found and started a job. Its in audit for one of the big four accountancy firms. No travel for newbie grads but something I am pursuing.
Congratulations Dominic on securing a position and wish you the best of luck. ^
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stez
Congratulations Dominic on securing a position and wish you the best of luck. ^
Thanks. Took its time but was worth the wait in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.