Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FC TATL res boots wife from 1K (empty cabin)--can't change online or w/ BA agent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC TATL res boots wife from 1K (empty cabin)--can't change online or w/ BA agent

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:24 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
This great mystique of 1A or 1K. If I am travelling with my husband I actually would prefer to be in 4E and F. I simply do not understand the time and trouble that this seems to generate. Is a bit more First than further back? Where did that notion come from? Is it a status thing - Oh I'm in 1A. Who is this supposed to impress? Us? We know who and what you are from the manifest. All this fuss. Quite incredible.
Agreed, especially when traveling alone. For individuals flying alone, 1A and K are far too close to each other, compared to 2A and K and 3 and K, which are all far enough forward to not have any noise from the galley. The only seats worse, in my opinion, are 5A and K. 4E and F are really the best for two passengers flying together.

But, to bring it back to this thread, I guess the appeal is that there is a strange aura of exclusivity around 1A and K, since they can only be had by certain passengers. It is human nature to want what others can't have. The only redeeming quality about the seats, in my opinion, is the very cool view when you're on the ground.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by AGSF
The only redeeming quality about the seats, in my opinion, is the very cool view when you're on the ground.
The view is better whether on the ground or the plane. You can see to either side and to some extent forward - more so than in Row 2 - and the window positioning is better than for Row 2.

So all in all, I think Row 1 gives you a significantly better view and better natural lighting than any other part of the F cabin - there's no mystique about it. The two drawbacks are the famous "munter factor, and the fact that some people do prefer to be able to see a little bit of what's going on in the cabin, i.e. to be able to see some of the other pax being served their food etc.; feeling like you're the only person on the plane isn't entirely without drawbacks.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA silver
Booking (blocking) one of the remaining seats and canceling at last minute, pretending to have an infant one doesn't have... Now we just need someone suggesting to check out the CR in advance by making a booking, going airside and canceling in the lounge... and maybe add a scorpion to the mix, it has been a while...

On a more serious side: Call center agents not knowing that 1K is blocked for golds actually matches my experience calling from Germany. They do try, the system lets them fail, but apparently doesn't provide an explanation.

Is You First really available in the US? It wasn't available in Germany a few months ago and my e-mail sent to You First has accordingly been ignored.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:39 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by HAM76
Is You First really available in the US?
You First is available in the US and the UK. They were very, very helpful during the strikes.

The US number is listed on BA.com (http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_us)

800 331 1332
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
YouFirst can't help you either. It is simply not possible to reserve 1A/K for non Golds. Believe me, I have tried.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
This great mystique of 1A or 1K. If I am travelling with my husband I actually would prefer to be in 4E and F. I simply do not understand the time and trouble that this seems to generate. Is a bit more First than further back? Where did that notion come from? Is it a status thing - Oh I'm in 1A. Who is this supposed to impress? Us? We know who and what you are from the manifest. All this fuss. Quite incredible.
Agree totally, I really don't like 1a and 1k on the 744 far to easy to get ignored by a bad crew.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaguarpig
Agree totally, I really don't like 1a and 1k on the 744 far to easy to get ignored by a bad crew.
I agree too but BA does not. Why would they have reserved them for Golds otherwise?

Personally I wish the kept 2A/K for Golds...
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
YouFirst can't help you either. It is simply not possible to reserve 1A/K for non Golds. Believe me, I have tried.
I think you're skimming the thread a little too quickly. The point about You First wasn't that they will be able to assign 1K to someone who isn't entitled to it, but that they will save the OP time. There should be no waiting time to get through to them (not even the irritating menu system you get with the Silver Line) but more importantly they are more highly trained and should be able to give the explanation immediately. I can think of at least three examples from personal experience where they have got things right immediately where other agents have got in a muddle: this query should have take the OP half a minute, not half an hour.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:49 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Travel more is the answer

If you travel more then your wife will divorce you and there will be no need to worry about the 1A 1K issue. Works for me, and with the divorce settlement I can now travel in World Traveller without the stress of worry about getting 1K on any flight at all and still keep 2 oneworld emerald cards valid this year.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

1A/K normally open up a few days before the flight if they've not already been allocated.

I think I've always managed to get 1K on my flights on a 744.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
So all in all, I think Row 1 gives you a significantly better view and better natural lighting than any other part of the F cabin - there's no mystique about it. The two drawbacks are the famous "munter factor, and the fact that some people do prefer to be able to see a little bit of what's going on in the cabin, i.e. to be able to see some of the other pax being served their food etc.; feeling like you're the only person on the plane isn't entirely without drawbacks.
+1 ^
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you're skimming the thread a little too quickly. The point about You First wasn't that they will be able to assign 1K to someone who isn't entitled to it, but that they will save the OP time.
You are right. Apologies.

And LOL @spotwelder. Funny post.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:07 am

Buying and cancelling a seat was a joke.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Excellent advice.

So one of the bookings will be cancelled off as a duplicate, leaving a 50/50 chance that the OP's real reservation will remain untouched, and the wife will definitely not get 1K.
Aha! You're being a bit slow. There's a way round that. The OP said the cabin was empty. He should therefore buy all the remaining seats in the cabin under different passenger names - they could be fictitious but they may as well be friends of his. They don't need to be Emeralds and there won't be any duplicate bookings. I believe that when the only seat remaining is 1K, it will be possible to allocate it to his wife, but even if it isn't it will prevent any more seats being sold. He'll need to check occasionally just in case BA release any more seats for sale and oversell slightly. Then at T-3d he cancels all the surplus flights, collects his refund of probably 100k+ and Hey Presto! he has Row 1, and a very quiet cabin to boot.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:47 am

I believe that when the only seat remaining is 1K, it will be possible to allocate it to his wife...
That's not correct. Even if all other seats are assigned, 1A and 1K will remain blocked (if unoccupied) until T-72.

... but even if it isn't it will prevent any more seats being sold. He'll need to check occasionally just in case BA release any more seats for sale and oversell slightly. Then at T-3d he cancels all the surplus flights, collects his refund of probably 100k+ and Hey Presto! he has Row 1, and a very quiet cabin to boot.
I know you are joking, but experience of FT demonstrates that there are people who dwell within that have such threadbare morality that they might entertain it as an option. Likewise the suggestion made a few posts back (not by you) about lying about having an infant to get 1K preallocated. Anyone who is prepared even to contemplate doing that needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.