Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is there an airline that does edible pre-flight dining in Club?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there an airline that does edible pre-flight dining in Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Lucifer UK
I thought I might be expecting something new and fancy in the FLounge as a new Gold.
Pretty much all other BA Flounges are better than their J lounge counterparts, but the lounges at JFK are an anomaly.

The Terraces lounge at JFK is large, bright, airy and comfortable. The First lounge at JFK is small, dark, oppressive, and can get quite crowded with oneworld Emeralds and CX/QF F pax.

When (probably more realistic than 'if') BA move to T8 and JFK, I presume we'll have the delights of the AA Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
My ranking of pre-flight dining

1. BA Concorde Room - waiter service
2. Virgin Club House - waiter service
3. Emeirates Lounge - buffet
4. BA Terraces - buffet

Never tried LH First so cannot include

If you dont like what is on the VS Clubhouse menu, there are a couple of standard off-menu items like a cheeseburger which are fail-safe option. (maybe I like showing off that I am a regular by ordering off-menu) knowing whats available but not advertised

BA Terraces chef should learn to stick with simple but tasty food although their budget maybe too small. I suspect the curry and chilly regularly on offer is to disguise the quality and quantity of the meat.

Had a lovely cheeseburger on AA F from LAS to DFW. Simple yet satisfying.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
I've always thought food in EK lounges is of a good standard, even if it is buffet service in the J Class ones I've been in.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by KenJohn
I suspect the curry and chilly regularly on offer is to disguise the quality and quantity of the meat.
Indeed, it not only disguises the poor flavour of the meat but also renders even the toughest piece of meat soft if you boil it long enough.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by Lucifer UK
Here's hoping they do something special for the move to T8 when the lease runs out...I thought I might be expecting something new and fancy in the FLounge as a new Gold. Pity...
Well, you CAN expect unfettered access to the champers in the JFK F lounge!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn
I suspect the curry and chilly regularly on offer is to disguise the quality and quantity of the meat.
There is nothing wrong with low grade meat in a well prepared curry in my view and it would be a waste to use expensive meats in curry. As long as it is not rotten I am happy!

I personally prefer goat to lamb in curry because it is leaner and always consider the real part of the dish to be the gravy. The meat is important but it is really just a filler as I see it.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by rfrost
Well, you CAN expect unfettered access to the champers in the JFK F lounge!
Yes, to cheap stuff - NOT what you'd get on board or in the LON lounges. Last time I was there it was Piper Red label stuff...in the Flounge AND the CCR!

It's drinkable and it's fine IMHO in the IAH or SFO lounges (seen it there too, but IIRC it was Pommery last time I visited) which are 2nd tier stations as such but, again, I'd say it's hardly flagship stuff for BA's most important outstation.

IMHO, JFK is badly in need of a refurb commensurate with its importance after LHR (even the LGW Flounge booze offerings are better - not that this should be a signal for BA to cut those if they realise ). I know that's hard to sell in these tough times, and that the refurb expenditure was shelved already, etc.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
The pre flight suppers that I've had at BOS haven't been bad (and oftn very tasty) but then I'm a VLML person so that may make a difference.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
IMHO, JFK is badly in need of a refurb commensurate with its importance after LHR (even the LGW Flounge booze offerings are better - not that this should be a signal for BA to cut those if they realise ). I know that's hard to sell in these tough times, and that the refurb expenditure was shelved already, etc.
Refurb at JFK has been long overdue IMO and of course there was talk a while back about an overhaul of check-in and the lounges (and lots of building work to look forward to); suspect that there will be 'mission creep' on all of this as BA are by all accounts leaving T7 to join AA in T8. No specific timing on this but its been flagged up here a few times so I suspect that it will be make do and mend for the forseeable future. Haven't been through T7 recently due to employer total embargo on all BA travel (long story ) at least until the strikes are definitely over, and the total dearth of MFU availability (nothing I can see that suits me WTP to CW for Sept or Oct and sod all in August as well) means we are likely to be spending our hard earned elsewhere. SFO is a wash out pretty much through to the end of October Good to see BA are now doing so well that they don't need our $
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
When (probably more realistic than 'if') BA move to T8 and JFK, I presume we'll have the delights of the AA Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge.
BA are definitely leaving when the lease expires. Nobody seems to know exactly when that is though...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Yes I agree with the OP I thought the choice was very poor when I was there on the way back to LCY two weeks ago. Two non-veggie hot choices is not good enough.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
The pre flight suppers that I've had at BOS haven't been bad (and oftn very tasty) but then I'm a VLML person so that may make a difference.
The olives are very good and there are usually grapes, but just about everything else,

Dried out fish, plain boiled rice, watery curry, sweaty cheese, and desserts that are pastries left over from breakfast! Maybe I need to turn veggie!

Don't get me started on the wines. Cavit??????
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I tend to find all lounge food to be under-par. But at JFK during the summer they have a good tomato salad.

Though at T5 you have good choices eating in the main area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.