Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is there an airline that does edible pre-flight dining in Club?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there an airline that does edible pre-flight dining in Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Thumbs down Is there an airline that does edible pre-flight dining in Club?

Sorry for the same old refrain, but it really does get worse with each passing visit. Most of the food on offer last night at JFK pre-flight dining I would have felt embarassed to give to a pet pig unless he had been extremely naughty.

Really, although I think I'm a fairly discerning eater, I'm not so fussy it's normaly difficult to find something I like. Pick a random restaurant in Manhattan, say on 6th 7th or 8th Avenue in Chelsea, the area I know best (The Village will also do) where lunch is around $20-$40 a head total (incl. tip etc.) and I'll nearly always find something basically acceptable and often praiseworthy.

Last night, not a single one of the starters or main courses fell into that category. Some of the salads looked like they might have turned out to be interesting if the chef hadn't stopped half way through the recipe; everything else was worse than that and in each case I literally pushed it away after one bite.

The only items I could eat at all with any pleasure were the brownies (of which I had one) and pieces of melon (of which I had about four). And to be fair, I did not try the French Onion Soup: Manhattan is very hot right now and it's a totally daft idea to a warming winter soup.

Someone to bound to come along and say
Well why don't you write a letter to BA complaining about this rather than just wasting your time ranting on here? I'm sure that will help much more.
Well I already did during my last visit in March. They wrote back over two months later to say my feedback was valuable and would be reported back. Perhaps they have acted on it and increased the consistency levels by removing the one edible hot item from the menu.

Anyway, here's the question. Do other TATL carriers offer than useful sleep-maximizing combo of pre-flight dining and breakfast in an Arrivals Lounge. If so are they any good?

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Jun 30, 2010 at 1:48 am Reason: typos
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Anyway, here's the question. Do other TATL carriers offer than useful sleep-maximizing combo of pre-flight dining and breakfast in an Arrivals Lounge. If so are they any good?
LH offers this via FRA. If you are flying out of JFK, the food in the *gold/Senator lounge is pretty good, and is absolutely excellent in the HON/First lounge. In FRA the welcome lounge is great- it has 32 showers, pressing facility, and very good breakfast. The only porblem is if you need to be in London, it is not very convenient to transit through FRA.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Have they changed caterer in jfk? I havent been there in a few months but their pre flight supper choice used be good.
Recently all I hear is complaints
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
LX F lounge in JFK had very good food.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:56 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Yeah, Virgin do ^

Now, que the raft of replies saying that Virgin is not a real airline to be taken seriously, the upper class seat is not comparable in any way to the so called superior seat in CW, the food is inedible, yadda, yadda, yadda
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kered
Yeah, Virgin do ^

Now, que the raft of replies saying that Virgin is not a real airline to be taken seriously, the upper class seat is not comparable in any way to the so called superior seat in CW, the food is inedible, yadda, yadda, yadda
In the air I don't take them seriously. But they do offer a proper silent sleep zone (useful on short E Coast overnights) and their Arrivals lounge breakfast is as good as BA's if not better.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:48 am

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
BA's CW pre-flight dinner fare at YYZ is not bad IIRC - had that last in Dec.:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25438406@N03/4747958747/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25438406@N03/4748599636/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25438406@N03/4748599712/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25438406@N03/4747958991/
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Capricorn70
BA's CW pre-flight dinner fare at YYZ is not bad IIRC - had that last in Dec.:
That actually looks pretty horrible...

I have however never understood the need to eat at the airport. Have a bite before you head to the airport and get to it a bit later.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I have however never understood the need to eat at the airport. Have a bite before you head to the airport and get to it a bit later.
With most airports I agree with you- however there are a few such as GRU and PVG where traffic is unpredictable enough that it is better just to get there asap.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:32 am

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Originally Posted by henkybaby
That actually looks pretty horrible...

May not look fab in the pix, but tasted all right - much better than WT food that much I can say!!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Having just qualified for Gold, is the food any better in the FIRST lounge at JFK, or is it the same as pre-flight in the Terraces(?) lounge I usually frequent?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:10 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I don't think it's that bad unless it has rapidly deteriorated in the last few months. Maybe I have lower expectations. Had pre-flight dining in Boston a month or so ago, and was quite pleased, some steamed fish that was not overdone and was healthy, unlike most airline food.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lucifer UK
Having just qualified for Gold, is the food any better in the FIRST lounge at JFK, or is it the same as pre-flight in the Terraces(?) lounge I usually frequent?
The JFK lounges are pretty woeful for a flagship station You won't find the Flounge anything special but, regardless, PFD is all out of the Terraces for everyone except those with CCR access - that has its own dining room.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Club pre-flight meals are termed 'Pre-Flight Supper'.
First pre-flight meals are termed 'Pre-Flight Dining'.

Not that I'm being picky or anything
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
The JFK lounges are pretty woeful for a flagship station You won't find the Flounge anything special but, regardless, PFD is all out of the Terraces for everyone except those with CCR access - that has its own dining room.
Here's hoping they do something special for the move to T8 when the lease runs out...I thought I might be expecting something new and fancy in the FLounge as a new Gold. Pity...

Now where's the employer that flies everyone FIRST when you need them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.