Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT(ish) RBS add to cost of miles via Travelex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I've always bought my currency through Travelex, sometimes online others at the airport and paid with my RBS Switch card. Even when buying online, I quite often get my fix of miles, even though their system says I'm not supposed to.

RBS have, it appears, decided to replace Switch with Visa Debit cards, and will charge a 2% fee for buying foreign currency in the UK.

I see this as being extremely naughty of them and am off next week to talk with HSBC about moving my account to them as they don't charge the same fee.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:48 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thegoderic
I've always bought my currency through Travelex, sometimes online others at the airport and paid with my RBS Switch card. Even when buying online, I quite often get my fix of miles, even though their system says I'm not supposed to.

RBS have, it appears, decided to replace Switch with Visa Debit cards, and will charge a 2% fee for buying foreign currency in the UK.

I see this as being extremely naughty of them and am off next week to talk with HSBC about moving my account to them as they don't charge the same fee.
never in my lifetime have my travelex miles posted automatically.

i have given up with them.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I'm with HBoS and they don't charge a fee for taking out foreign currency on their Visa Debit cards.

I wasn't aware you could earn miles through Travelex... will need to look into that. Annoying, as I recently did a rather large transaction with them!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: MUCCI
A debit card? Transaction in card currency? Transaction in the UK?
- what on earth do they think they deserve that fee for?!?

The merchant will still be paying their card fees I assume, so what makes it different from any other transaction?
The provision of the physical currency is what you are paying the currency provider for! It's not a cash advance.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
HSBC are doing the same as far as replacing Switch goes. But I can confirm at least the First Direct Visa Debit doesn't incur any extra charges at Travelex, or anywhere else I've used it for 'Switch like' purchases so far.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
HSBC are doing the same as far as replacing Switch goes. But I can confirm at least the First Direct Visa Debit doesn't incur any extra charges at Travelex, or anywhere else I've used it for 'Switch like' purchases so far.
For a pedant like you, I'm surprised your saying 'Switch' when the Switch network was moved across to the more international Maestro network a few years back.

FWIW, Mastercard is currently in the process of changing this across to Mastercard Debit - a card which my bank sadly issued me a few months back. Being a guinea pig has been far from fun.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Teefaf
I'm with HBoS and they don't charge a fee for taking out foreign currency on their Visa Debit cards.

I wasn't aware you could earn miles through Travelex... will need to look into that. Annoying, as I recently did a rather large transaction with them!
Hi,
Although I think if you choose BA miles you may get a poorer exchange rate with Travelex.

Likewise I'm with Bank of Scotland/HBos/Lloyds Banking Group and my Visa Debit card does not charge for UK Travelex transactions.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Worth reading http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...money#cheapest for advice, especially
Originally Posted by moneysavingexpert
Debit cards that DO charge a fee
Abbey
Alliance & Leicester
Barclays
Cahoot
Co-op
Lloyds TSB
Smile
Natwest / RBS

Debit cards that DON'T charge a fee
Coventry BS
First Direct
Halifax
HSBC
Intelligent Finance
Nationwide
Santander are missing from that list, though as they are now the parent of Alliance & Leicester and Abbey, it's safe to assume that they are in the ripoff brigade.

Me, I'm still with the Nationwide.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
For a pedant like you, I'm surprised your saying 'Switch'

But quite right - my last card was of course a Maestro. Funny how these things stick with you though, I always referred to it as my 'Switch' card (even though that was wrong as you say). For some reason that name/branding seeemed to be hard to shake.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
your
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Although I think if you choose BA miles you may get a poorer exchange rate with Travelex.
Ah, thanks for the head's up.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:07 am

I used to buy my currency through Travelex but then a friend told me about FairFX - I'm soooo glad as it saves me A LOT - much better exchange rates and no hidden charges
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:22 am

I was charged 4.50 for using Travelex Online with Lloyds TSB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.