Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cabin crew to appeal High Court ruling rejecting injunction against staff changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin crew to appeal High Court ruling rejecting injunction against staff changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Roger
That's frowned upon by HMRC in the UK who persist with the 'wholly, necessarily and exclusively' rules. This doesn't apply to MPs, though.

Per diems can work well as they simplify expenses calculations immensely. I remember organising events in Germany and elsewhere for a previous multinational employer with staff participants from a dozen or more countries. Most were happy with their per diems, the Brits had to save all their receipts and claim after the event.
Which always makes it a little bit odd that civil servants are able to claim per diems. OTOH, since those per diems are agreed by HMRC, they are not exactly bounteously high - it's pretty difficult to live the high life on them - McDonalds and Little Chef more like!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by BOH
I would have thought a bigger concern should be whether the Inland Revenue starts to take an interest in the heavily discounted travel perks BA crew enjoy.

How ironic it would be if the strikers won some cocessions from BA, but all were considerably worse off if the IR decide to formally count these perks as taxable. Not just ironic, actually quite amusing
I believe that the price of the seat offered to crew is at the "marginal cost" of flying that seat empty, so therefore there is no benefit to either the airline nor the crew person, hence no tax is payable.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:47 am

The court case has nothing to do with the staff travel "issue" - it is simply an appeal to the judgement earlier this year that the changes imposed by BA last November were non-contractual. I doubt that UNITE will win - the whole argument is that cabin crew are now:
Originally Posted by UNITE LAWYER
"suffering a material prejudicial impact on their working conditions" which had forced them to work harder and become more stressed, so "there was no reason for the Learned Judge to be unwilling to grant an injunction".
There are so many holes in this argument, all discussed here before...

By the way, Lufthansa must pay tax to the German Government on all award tickets issued to German residents, as the travel is viewed as a benefit in kind from employment related travel.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Which always makes it a little bit odd that civil servants are able to claim per diems. OTOH, since those per diems are agreed by HMRC, they are not exactly bounteously high - it's pretty difficult to live the high life on them - McDonalds and Little Chef more like!
Indeed. And you have explained why. Government is in control and makes the per diems available at a realistic (?) rate knowing that they are unlikely to be abused.

There is a kind of per diem allowed to industry IIRC. Isn't there a non-taxable 10 per day which is supposed to cover a phone call home and perhaps a newspaper when away = when abroad? We didn't bother with this as we weren't spending 10 or whatever the limit was and got reimbursed at cost anyway.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 8420PR
By the way, Lufthansa must pay tax to the German Government on all award tickets issued to German residents, as the travel is viewed as a benefit in kind from employment related travel.
Shhh!

HMRC has considered similar action and rejected it so far. I don't know if there are many other administrations that charge tax.

In any case, how would you differentiate miles earnt with supermarket shopping, credit cards and the like, which are most unlikely to be a benefit in kind?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:26 am
No5

Originally Posted by heartybob
Isn't that exactly what CC at LGW have been doing for years but without all the whingeing about having to work harder etc. etc. that their counterparts at LHR seem so concerned about?

Or have I missed something?
LGW has been working with less crew on all aircraft types since Single Fleet was created in 2005 or whenever it was introduced. BASSA, and some crew member at LHR, claim they can do it because LGW is a leisure base with less demanding passengers. LHR is a base with a "business" clientle. Duncan Holley also said on BBC Radio 5 Live that LGW is a different case, which gives you an idea of what they really think of LGW.

BASSA made Single Fleet happened. Why? BA needed to save money and to introduce a new fleet at LGW would mean that LHR would remain untouched. Speak to some of our colleagues who were previously based at our regional bases (BFS, MAN and GLA). Some of them will happily give their honest opinion of BASSA and how much they "fought" for their bases to remain open.
BASSA have played all their cards. There are no other bases to change or close down to save money. It has come to LHR.

Unfortunately, BASSA could not care less about LGW. Some crew at LHR are even saying that LGW should be removed from NSP (National Selection Panel) so that crew won't be able to transfer to LHR. Why? Because very few crew at LGW supported the strike.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:30 am
No5

BA offered VR to 1100 crew last year which made them able to remove a crew member off the aircraft.

Let's say BASSA win the appeal.

What will happen? BA would need to recruit new crew to be able to reinstate the crewing levels, which is a high number. Recruitment will not be onto existing terms and conditions but straight onto New Fleet as BA have made it perfectly clear that any future recruitment will be to this fleet. This will set off New Fleet in an instant.

I'm doubting that BASSA even understand this.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... Per diems can work well as they simplify expenses calculations immensely. I remember organising events in Germany and elsewhere for a previous multinational employer with staff participants from a dozen or more countries. Most were happy with their per diems, the Brits had to save all their receipts and claim after the event. ...
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Fortunately , tax rules here are different and the tax office has a table listing the per diem claims that can be made without substantiation and sweeping claims by the other poster about "rest of us" not getting them are flawed
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Indeed. And you have explained why. Government is in control and makes the per diems available at a realistic (?) rate knowing that they are unlikely to be abused. ...
FWIW, the Australian Government permit per diem's based on an employee's Salary
(3 Bands).

Just as an example, here is what can be paid daily to an employee working in the UK depending upon their base salary (converted to to GBP at today's xe.com cross rate) for the 2009/2010 financial year:
Code:
Salary Band    Meals    Incidentals     Total

to AUD93,600   $185        $40           $225  (130)   

AUD93,601 to   $225        $50           $275  (160)
AUD166,500

AUD166,501 or  $265        $60           $325  (210)
higher
At these levels or below, if paid as an allowance, no substantiation is required although "the expense claimed must have been incurred". This does not include accommodation cost which must be substantiated if claimed.

reference: http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.ht.../NAT/ATO/00001
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, serfty!

Some of us may look enviously at an allowance of 130-210 a day for meals and incidentals. As for me, I think I'd find it difficult to put in a substantiated claim for such an amount every day, even though I'm used to retaining every single slip of paper witnessing expenditure ...
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Interesting, serfty!

Some of us may look enviously at an allowance of 130-210 a day for meals and incidentals. As for me, I think I'd find it difficult to put in a substantiated claim for such an amount every day, even though I'm used to retaining every single slip of paper witnessing expenditure ...
Just because the ATO allows that amount per day, does not mean that this is what all companies will pay for per diems of course. The rates do look higher than they might often, due to the very favourable exchange rate from AUD-GBP at the moment. GBP160 today would often have onl been around GBP110 when the AUD isnt so strong and with the worst ROE I have seen around $83

Per diems do make it a lot simpler for both sides
Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Just because the ATO allows that amount per day, does not mean that this is what all companies will pay for per diems of course.
Good point, I'd overlooked that these were maxima.
Per diems do make it a lot simpler for both sides
Yes, and I wish that HMRC would look more favourably on them. After all, they accept the principle for Government employees.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Slide 13 from investors day below says it all - cabin crew cost per flying hour comparing LHR with LGW. Cost is nearly double for LHR per hour and has risen by over 25% since 1997.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...sentations.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.