Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Urgent - Passport expiry advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
For most countries that is true, but Albania is in Europe and they require six months validity to remain on the passport. Had to refuse boarding for some passengers because of this. There may be other countries with the same requirement but without looking at the guide can't recall which.

If that is the case, BA will refuse to allow you to travel as we are fined by the authorities in those countries if passengers do not comply with entry requirements.

Best thing would be to go to the Passport Office first thing in the morning and you can pick up the passport late in the afternoon. You'll need to make an appointment but I did this a few years ago without any problem. You don't need to stay at the Passport Office all day whilst they do this.

Albania is NOT in the EU

Within the EU, it's good to the day of expiry just as has been said already.

Within the Schengen area you don't need a passport at all, take a look at this site
http://europa.eu/travel/doc/index_en.htm
All EU countries are full Schengen members except for Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Apr 16, 2010 at 11:58 pm
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Within the Schengen area you don't need a passport at all
Indeed, a EU identity card would be ok as well. You will need either a passport or EU ID card, as many EU countries require everyone to always carry with them some form of ID (and likely non-local driver licenses are not accepted). And anyway border control checks are still allowed, as the web page mentions.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by gaz68
Yes, but just be absolutely sure that you ARE going to an EU member state.

The likes of Norway, Switzerland etc are NOT.
As Norway is part of Schengen they would have the same rules.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:28 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
What about just the ID card?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Originally Posted by travelkid
As Norway is part of Schengen they would have the same rules.
and so is Switzerland
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by d3vski
Technically, for travel within the EU, the passport does not need to be valid. It just needs to prove your status as a "European Citizen".
I don't think there's such a thing as a European citizen. I suppose it could mean a citizen of a European country, but that includes, for example, Albania.

An expired passport does not mean you are no longer a citizen.
No, but it doesn't mean you are a citizen either. Citizenship can be surrended.

Driving licences are normally used as proof of age in the United States and sometimes elsewhere. Unlike citizenship, your date of birth cannot be changed. Yet I think a lot of places would not accept an expired licence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.