Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Where Are You Stranded, What Are You Doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where Are You Stranded, What Are You Doing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: EI Gold Circle
Stranded in Germany!

No trains left to get back even as far as Calais for AT LEAST 36 hours, no cars left for rental within a radius of 35km - this is an absolute nightmare, and I'm trying to get back to Ireland.

Hoping that the damn ash cloud will move rapidly southeastwards so that air corridors can re-open again. The problem is that even with UK airspace re-opening, there could still be restrictions over Germany for even longer!

EI Premier
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:46 am
No5

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I am sure you can make it MacDonalds across the road!

Interesting about the crew being bussed to GLA/PIK... Will see what that is all about!
Last I heard was that aircraft will fly to either GLA and PIK and pax will be taken down to LHR by bus!

I can only think of how furious BASSA is as they probably haven't "agreed" to this.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:33 am
JSC

Kingston...Jamaica

Next flight is Mon evening after today's flight was cancelled, so now pondering whether to stay local, Ocho Rios or Montego Bay.... Since its a constant 29C here it may have to be the beach but which resort??

(BTW the wife and kid are still back home in the "other" Kingston so wherever I go I risk looking like I've upset the other half or just plain wierd/sad)
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by WHBM
Am stuck in New York.
Also in NY.

Was due out on tonight's BA 114. That's cancelled so now on the 112 on Tuesday night, four days later. Managed to get a seat on the upper deck.

Just extended my stay at the Waldorf Astoria, no problem, got a fairly cheap sub GBP200 rate.

This is a work trip so all expenses covered and I can work out of the NY office no problem, but I really wanted to be home for the weekend for personal reasons. Tried to get a flight on IB to MAD/LYS, then train, but the earliest they could get me out was Sunday night, so not worth it.

James
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC, SK *G, Hyatt GP Courtesy Card
Stuck in SFO..

.. Could be worse. I am currently booked on tomorrow's (saturday) 284, which actually might even be running.. fingers crossed.

Spending time by working out of our local office here. If I do end up getting delayed more I will change to some other US based office until say next week or so and then fly back to europe.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by JSC
Kingston...Jamaica

Next flight is Mon evening after today's flight was cancelled, so now pondering whether to stay local, Ocho Rios or Montego Bay.... Since its a constant 29C here it may have to be the beach but which resort??
If you're heading for the beach - go for a really beautiful one. Try Frenchmans Cove in Port Antonio - exquisite! Or Bluefields and Whitehouse on the South Coast are delightful and very few tourists.

If you're staying in Kingston why not head out to Lime Cay, reached via ferry from Port Royal at the end of the Palisadoes. Or the local beach at Hellshire is great.

As for tonight - Asylum night club in Kingston should help you while away an hour or two watching - or perhaps even participating in - the naughty Jamaican dancing
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:40 pm

stuck in WAS...

...anybody else? All lines to BA are busy (gold, silver, blue, reservations, US and UK), so no clue when I'll be able to make it to LON.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Got a 1st class seat on National Express East Coast booked to get home to Scotland. Contemplated driving, but with the school hols drawing to a close, I don't fancy the M1/M6 on a Friday afternoon.

If the ash is still around on Monday, will be working from home.
Wimp ! Just did MAN to INV in a little under 6 hours. No probs all the way and then met the air ambulance sitting on the A9 about 400yds from my house.

Heading back on the 7am Monday might be interesting, still a few extra hours at home wouldn't be too bad.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by natkraft
Stuck in SFO..
I would love to swap with you...!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by DaMadCroat
...anybody else? All lines to BA are busy (gold, silver, blue, reservations, US and UK), so no clue when I'll be able to make it to LON.
If you try to make a new booking, the earliest you can get out of NY is Wed 21/4 amnd there are only 3 seats left, all in WT+; the last CW seat just disappeared. Thursday is still pretty wide open though.

Out of Washington, there is one F seat out of IAD and 1 WT+ out of BWI on 21/4 but Thursday looks pretty available.

Out of Philadelphia, there are three Y seats on Tuesday night 20/4.

Might be worth grabbing one of those flights (fully flex/refundable) on ba.com now as a backstop so you don't get pushed too far into the back end of next week when BA eventually get around to rebooking you.

James
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by James S
If you try to make a new booking, the earliest you can get out of NY is Wed 21/4 amnd there are only 3 seats left, all in WT+; the last CW seat just disappeared. Thursday is still pretty wide open though.

Out of Washington, there is one F seat out of IAD and 1 WT+ out of BWI on 21/4 but Thursday looks pretty available.

Might be worth grabbing one of those flights (fully flex/refundable) on ba.com as a backstop so you don't get pushed too far into the back end of next week.

James
James - thanks for the heads up, I'll try to snag one of those. It is extremely important for me to be in LON for 20APR if at all possible, but I guess there is only so much one can do.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by DaMadCroat
James - thanks for the heads up, I'll try to snag one of those. It is extremely important for me to be in LON for 20APR if at all possible, but I guess there is only so much one can do.
Note my edit - Philly still has availavility on 20/4 though you don't get to London till 21/4.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:44 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Now in a hotel in Paris near the Gare du Nord after my alternative flights out of here (including the Openskies one) were cancelled.

Final flight is a KLM ticket to YYZ tomorrow, but after two days of this, not sure my heart is in the train journey to AMS, for a flight that will almost definitely be cancelled, to then have to try and work out how to get home from there.

I do have a Eurostar ticket booked at 10.43, so with any luck, my flight out of AMS will be cancelled early and I can be back in Manchester for 3pm or so, with a wasted few days, but still arriving back 48 hours earlier than if I'd taken the trip, so still getting a few bonus days at home.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
Stuck in HKG

Could be worse, I am stuck here at the Four Seasons in Hong Kong. My flight on Sunday night to LHR has been cancelled.

I am on a RTW fare, and so far they are not allowing me to backtrack to the US west coast so I just have to wait it out or pay for a new ticket.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, SK *G, Hyatt GP Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I would love to swap with you...!

Feel free to :-) Actually, I quite like SFO, so it's not a big deal (Got plenty of stuff to do around here! :-) ).
284 has been confirmed cancelled tomorrow, on the phone with a very helpful lady trying to get me back home.. First opening in CW is on the 25th(!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.