Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Where Are You Stranded, What Are You Doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where Are You Stranded, What Are You Doing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:41 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Please don't give them any ideas! That said, some of the excuses provided by SWT are so unbelievable that I wonder if anyone will bat an eyelid if they here:

"SWT are sorry for the delay to your journey, this has been caused by Icelandic volcanic ash in the Winnersh Triangle area".
Well I have heard a FGW "train manager" say about 10 years ago in the depths of winter, "we are sorry for the delay, it is due to snow in the North Pole area".

Caused much amusement and shaking of heads....was totally genuine though as North Pole is the name of the depot between LHR and Paddington and that snowy day the OHL catenary had problems caused by the cold weather.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Platinum, BMI Silver
Update from Sydney: BA10 is now apparently cancelled, according to the hotel and ba.com. Have had two calls from BA a couple of hours ago assuring me that we were departing at 08.00 to BKK, but nothing since.

Next scheduled flight according to ba.com is in a couple of days. So being stuck in SYD is definitely better than being stuck in BKK I reckon.

Comms from BA could be a little better though

Question: now my flight is cancelled, is the onus on me to re-book, or will BA do that on my behalf? And do I have any priority over the pax on the next 3 x BA10's that have also been cancelled?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
Currently half way through an LHR-SYD-BKK-LHR business trip.

Was on BA10 to BKK on Sunday after having Saturdays cancelled. Now Sundays is cancelled. Having spoken to BA and been advised that they would not re-book me with TG (which has space to BKK) I went ahead and booked TG to Bangkok on Saturday.

So, at least I can get on with the second part of the trip.

I guess the problems may come on the 24th when I am due to fly BKK-LHR if the situation has not been resolved.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by A Man Ray Kind Of Sky
I'm feeling better about the whole affair, as Friday's BA268 (previously LAX-LHR) has become LAX-PIK (Glasgow Prestwick).

I was ending the trip at NCL, so (assuming we do actually travel) it's a very cheap and easy car hire from PIK-NCL. I will send BA the receipt, but to be honest it's just a relief to know we're going back on time.

Has anyone else been rerouted to the regions?
That answers a query then! I am in Calgary but not due to fly back until Monday, but checking the timetables in case there are "bumps" in the rescheduling and saw that the BA0102 YYC-LHR was showing tonight as YYC-ABZ so they must be getting the birds home and getting the crew and pax into the country albeit with a long transfer south.

As i am supposed to be in ABZ next Wednesday that would not be too bad a thing, but it would be pretty inconvenient to the plans, and the other places to be visited first!!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:50 am

Also stuck at home in London. Was due to fly out tomorrow lunch (with Qantas, not BA), but the chances of that flight getting off the ground is about as slim as the chance of me flapping my arms and flying.

So instead of the Far East this weekend, I'll be enjoying the (hopefully) sunny London atmosphere and probably catching some trains for day trips. (That is assuming there isn't the "wrong type of ash" on the train tracks)...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:06 am

Assuming BA11 doesn't fly tomorrow night (and looking increasingly unlikely), I will be at work in Manchester for the next two weeks instead of on holiday in Australia.

This was my third attempt to do this trip in the last twelve months, the first two (last year) were cancelled by illness and now this. I may give up on Oz completely - seems like I'm destined never to make it...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:25 am

My adult children are in Paris and my poor son is due to start a new job on Monday. The BA website will not allow rebooking and you cannot get through to them on the phone. What exactly should they do? They are not elite members, of course, so they are the lowest of the low. The tickets they have currently are to LHR and on the SF. Any ideas?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
Originally Posted by Barbara48
My adult children are in Paris and my poor son is due to start a new job on Monday. The BA website will not allow rebooking and you cannot get through to them on the phone. What exactly should they do? They are not elite members, of course, so they are the lowest of the low. The tickets they have currently are to LHR and on the SF. Any ideas?
I hear they do pedal bike hire in Paris for free. Should be back by Monday if he starts now....
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by androobe
I hear they do pedal bike hire in Paris for free. Should be back by Monday if he starts now....
Easily.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:44 am
No5

Update from a crew!

Stuck in NRT. This supposed to be a 4 day trip and I was meant to come home tomorrow. Bored to death in my room and can't be bothered to go out another night.

I heard from a friend that BA is busing crew to GLA and PIK and they will fly empty to JFK and then back with passengers. Not sure what it means.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by No5
Update from a crew!

Stuck in NRT. This supposed to be a 4 day trip and I was meant to come home tomorrow. Bored to death in my room and can't be bothered to go out another night.

I heard from a friend that BA is busing crew to GLA and PIK and they will fly empty to JFK and then back with passengers. Not sure what it means.
I am sure you can make it MacDonalds across the road!

Interesting about the crew being bussed to GLA/PIK... Will see what that is all about!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:01 am

It is pedaling across the water that is hard. I think he would be willing to do that if he could. I think if they would let him rebook he would feel better.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Barbara48
Maybe look at Eurostar? Although I guess everyone else will be trying this!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:35 am

Eurostar had a few seats for 700 dollars for the two of them but London is more north than CDG so the ash is heavier according to reports. . Also, LHR is a difficult airport. For the moment they are in Paris trying to figure things out as I guess, everyone is.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Was stranded in Stockholm. Just arrived in Belgium after driving for 16 hours. I am DEAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.