Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash - right to care discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by origin
you could always try to fly to paris then get the train back into the uk. if thats where you are trying to get to.
or Iberia to Madrid

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Apr 15, 2010 at 10:26 am
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
CDG/ORY and other French Airports will be closing in a few hours. BRU will be closed through most of tomorrow as well.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed666
Shona, re your post 22, can you explain what that means in laymans terms please, for once I am just going to say "IANAL" ( without the usual "but etc that gets added..." )
Earlier in the ruling the ECJ said

37 Article 6 of Regulation No 261/2004 provides that, in the event of a long delay to a flight, the operating air carrier must offer to assist and take care of the passengers concerned. It does not provide that the carrier may escape such obligations in the event of extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

Basically in 2006 it could be said that the airline industry anticipated that a volcano could ground a lot of flights- but in so far as those flights were governed by EC 261/2004-the court said that the airline would still pick up the tab of looking after the passengers.

(This is distinct from "compensation").
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
For those interested, all JFK-LHR flights up to BA178 at 840am tomorrow Fri (16/4) have been cancelled with pax rebooked onto flights from Monday 19/4. I'm currently on the BA114 at 935pm tomorrow and that is not yet cancelled (none of Friday's evening flights out of JFK are cancelled yet).

James
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by continentalclub

Rebook onto a flight to the same destination at a later date in the same booking class and cabin. The flight must be re-booked and travel must take place within the validity of the original ticket purchased. This will be at no additional cost to the customer.
My dad was just told they had to fly within the next two weeks, in order to be allowed to rebook. They tried alternative dates about a month out but were told they had to cancel and make a new booking. That is not the way I read the following (from BA.com):

"Conditions:
The change in booking must take place no later than two weeks after the original flight.
Travel must be completed within ticket validity or within three months from the original flight, whichever is longer.
Other flights in the same booking, if applicable, can be re-booked at the same time, and no extra fare is payable."

Any views?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by schnapperin
So going until 60 to 70 GBP for a ecomomy class ticket would be fine? Its Tokyo we speak about and its not even easy to find anything thats available from tomorrow one. Or should I better stick to Narita instead just in case its getting trouble with reimbursement ?
To me, reasonable is what you would book for yourself if you were paying. If you have been to that city 10 times in the past year and always stay in a suite at the Four Seasons, then the suite at the Four Seasons is reasonable. If you usually stay at the Travel Lodge, then booking any room at the Four Seasons would be out of the question (unless all the other hoptels in town were booked).

This is independant of the class of travel booked.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat
Originally Posted by James S
For those interested, all JFK-LHR flights up to BA178 at 840am tomorrow Fri (16/4) have been cancelled with pax rebooked onto flights from Monday 19/4. I'm currently on the BA114 at 935pm tomorrow and that is not yet cancelled (none of Friday's evening flights out of JFK are cancelled yet).
Oh help ... I wonder when the passengers of today's BA0178 get to fly - my hotel bill will be horrendous
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
So whats the easiest way to sort this.

I am at LHR as per the plan, was supposed to leave tomorrow

16APR LHR-HEL-TRE 0730 depart

and then have flights on the

17APR TRE-HEL-LHR-SEA 0600 Depart

Now clearly there is no point going home and so the start of my next itinery is not possible.

Should I call BA or the travel agent.

What happens if I do nothing, can I turn up to LHR to check in the the SEA flight on the 17th?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by cressers
So whats the easiest way to sort this.

I am at LHR as per the plan, was supposed to leave tomorrow

16APR LHR-HEL-TRE 0730 depart

and then have flights on the

17APR TRE-HEL-LHR-SEA 0600 Depart

Now clearly there is no point going home and so the start of my next itinery is not possible.

Should I call BA or the travel agent.

What happens if I do nothing, can I turn up to LHR to check in the the SEA flight on the 17th?
you def need to call BA. If you don't take the first legs, the LHR-SEA part will be cancelled.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
NATS is advising operators of 0600z tomorrow at best with a reassesment tonight at 1800z as to whether to extend to 1200z. Beyond that, likelihood is of restricted operations with maximum ceilings in place on extra_FIR flights.
Yes - it's just a waiting game. Geological and Met reports are stating that the ash cloud is "intensifying" and there are many reports in the Shetlands of "bad taste" and "bad smell", indicating that the height of the ash is reducing as the evening cools. A survey flight has taken off on to make a synopsis.

All we can do is wait and hope that the jetstream's direction shifts away from Northern Europe.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
While I don't disagree with the legal interpretations given here as to the duty of care, this could bankrupt the European airlines if the event goes on for any length of time. I would expect that BA and others will fight this tooth and nail.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
While I don't disagree with the legal interpretations given here as to the duty of care, this could bankrupt the European airlines if the event goes on for any length of time.
I agree. ^

Although I fully understand the anxiety of those due to travel at present, I think it's absolutely ludicrous that European airlines have to pay out because of this. What fault is it of theirs? This EU legislation really is an absolute ......... IMHO.

From a personal viewpoint, I wouldn't seek a penny from any airline if I was caught up in this and would swallow the costs myself - albeit not particularly happily.

Let's hope this is not the final nail in the coffin for my job, which is already under threat of redundancy.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by MajorVoid
they'll do their best, I should think, but the airport hotels will be filling up pretty fast

Here are the bits of the EU regs that get them off the hook:

(14) As under the Montreal Convention, obligations on operating air carriers should be limited or excluded in cases where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier.
(15) Extraordinary circumstances should be deemed to exist where the impact of an air traffic management decision in relation to a particular aircraft on a particular day gives rise to a long delay, an overnight delay, or the cancellation of one or more flights by that aircraft, even though all reasonable measures had been taken by the air carrier concerned to avoid the delays or cancellations.
These parts only refer to the conditions for claimin compensation , the right to care and assistance (rebooking on alternative transport) is not affected by them.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, PC Platinum :) - BA & Virgin - Lowly :(
Just a general question - and apologies if I've missed it - I'm currently booked in WT+ for Satuday to YYZ. That's looking increasingly unlikely.

I've just looked at flights later in the week, if I have to move my travel, and they're all nearly double the price of my current booking

Would I be charged the difference in my booking?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JayUK
Would I be charged the difference in my booking?
If your flight is cancelled, you can rebook for free (no additional charges) or cancel and get a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.