Volcanic ash - right to care discussion

Old Apr 15, 10, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat; BA Blue
Volcanic ash - right to care discussion

To be honest, I don't care what compensation I do or don't get, I just want to get home.

We're booked into FIRST on Friday night LAX-LHR, and Mrs. AMRKOS is 4 months pregnant and I don't fancy being re-routed anywhere near the back of the plane for a 10 hour flight, for her sake.
Old Apr 15, 10, 2:34 am

Commercial Policy Issued

A commercial policy is in place which will allow customers to rebook or refund. The details are outlined below:

Rebook onto an available flight to the same destination within a 3-day period before or 14-day period after the scheduled departure time of the original flight. If the same booking class is not available, the next lowest class may be booked within the same cabin. This will be at no additional cost to the customer, and if required, the validity of the ticket may be extended.

or

Rebook onto a flight to the same destination at a later date in the same booking class and cabin. The flight must be re-booked and travel must take place within the validity of the original ticket purchased. This will be at no additional cost to the customer.

or

Refund the ticket purchased to the original form of payment.
Old Apr 15, 10, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had no problem to reach BA in Japan, but the only thing they could offer me was to re-book me on a later date (but just my flight to London not to STR -strange) so the other option was that she would send a fax to the airport office and I should be there asap tomorrow morning (the office opens at 7.30 am and the flight was supposed to leave at 10.55 am) - that will be a chaos for sure.

How big are my options to get re-book on a SAS, Austrlian Airline or Swiss flight that all do leave at the same time as my original BA flight? If the airports will be open of course!
Old Apr 15, 10, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by schnapperin View Post
How big are my options to get re-book on a SAS, Austrlian Airline or Swiss flight that all do leave at the same time as my original BA flight? If the airports will be open of course!
I suspect that they'll be almost zero. The ash cloud is moving South and East and you're going to see disruption spreading across most European airfields, affecting ALL carriers. Sorry.
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:00 am

My flight back to LHR from Narita tomorrow morning got cancelled aswell.

Any advice what to do or what BA has to offer me? They told me she could cancell my flight and rebook me on another date, but no word if BA would pay for a hotel or so.

Or should I wait and just show up at the airport tomorow?
Schnapperin

For your information (and many others affected by this situation) the airlines are obliged to 'care for' their pax no matter what the circumstances or reasons for the cancellation or delay.

This means that passengers are entitled to meals, refreshments and accommodation if an overnight stay or stays become necessary together with travel to/from that accommodation. 2 phone calls/faxes/emails should also be offered FOC.

In addition to the 'right to care' airlines are obliged to refund your fare or re-route you (at your option) in the event of cancellation and after 5 hours in the case of delay.

Full regulation here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...4R0261:EN:HTML.

Trust this is useful.

Cityboy62
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:00 am

I had no problem to reach BA in Japan, but the only thing they could offer me was to re-book me on a later date (but just my flight to London not to STR -strange) so the other option was that she would send a fax to the airport office and I should be there asap tomorrow morning (the office opens at 7.30 am and the flight was supposed to leave at 10.55 am) - that will be a chaos for sure.

Depends on your ticket. If it is published fare, BA might endorse it over. If not, your best bet is to buy ticket on another airline, and then refund the BA ticket. And, no, BA won't compensate the difference between the two...
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:01 am

Programs: SAS
I would think that are your chances with SAS are slim. CPH might close later today. And worst case, stay closed for days
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cityboy62 View Post
Schnapperin

For your information (and many others affected by this situation) the airlines are obliged to 'care for' their pax no matter what the circumstances or reasons for the cancellation or delay.

This means that passengers are entitled to meals, refreshments and accommodation if an overnight stay or stays become necessary together with travel to/from that accommodation. 2 phone calls/faxes/emails should also be offered FOC.

In addition to the 'right to care' airlines are obliged to refund your fare or re-route you (at your option) in the event of cancellation and after 5 hours in the case of delay.

Trust this is useful.

Cityboy62
Thanks- thats what I was looking for. Because I only get told that they could cancel my booking and re-book me. My question about hotel stay was getting "sorry not our problem" answear. And the last time my flight was cancelled because of weather I got free meals and a hotel stay.

So in the worstest case and the European airports are closed for days, they would need to pay for the whole leg the hotel?

SAS is down my list, I do hope that Zurich will be open as I could always catch a train from there home.
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Is the BBC or anyone saying anything about what tomorrow will look like? I'm down in NBO, however I have some family members scheduled to fly EDI-LHR-LYS Friday morning.

Their tickets are BA awards. Should that cause a problem if they have to rebook?
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Volcanic ash - reroute and accomodation discussion

As this is likely to run a while, a thread dedicated to re-route and 'duty of care/EU concerns.
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:10 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold 1MM, BA Blue again :-(, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Cityboy62 View Post
Schnapperin

Trust this is useful.

Cityboy62

According to the BBC just now that's not correct, as its "an act of God", all they are obliged to do is reschedule, or refund. They are not (apparently) obligated at all to offer hotels, food and so forth.

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Is the BBC or anyone saying anything about what tomorrow will look like?
No one knows, but even if it does open up full again there is bound to be a huge amount of disruption over the next couple of days just down to planes and staff being out of position etc.

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Their tickets are BA awards. Should that cause a problem if they have to rebook?
No
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:16 am

Programs: BA (Gold), UA, Virgin FC Silver, Microsoft Word, blah blah
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed666 View Post
According to the BBC just now that's not correct, as its "an act of God", all they are obliged to do is reschedule, or refund. They are not (apparently) obligated at all to offer hotels, food and so forth.

No one knows, but even if it does open up full again there is bound to be a huge amount of disruption over the next couple of days just down to planes and staff being out of position etc.

No
they'll do their best, I should think, but the airport hotels will be filling up pretty fast

Here are the bits of the EU regs that get them off the hook:

(14) As under the Montreal Convention, obligations on operating air carriers should be limited or excluded in cases where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier.
(15) Extraordinary circumstances should be deemed to exist where the impact of an air traffic management decision in relation to a particular aircraft on a particular day gives rise to a long delay, an overnight delay, or the cancellation of one or more flights by that aircraft, even though all reasonable measures had been taken by the air carrier concerned to avoid the delays or cancellations.
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:23 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed666 View Post
It seems that way indeed. A passenger made this comment on the bbc website:

"At Schiphol Airport they are handing out badly photocopied A4 letters to passengers like myself, whose flights (Birmingham in my case) have been cancelled, telling them that cancellations for "extraordinary circumstances such as meteorological conditions" are "exempt of compensation payments". "
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:24 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Have any estimations / forecasts been published?

I was supposed to travel to FRA this afternoon. Wonder if I should book the Eurostar instead?
Old Apr 15, 10, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by raph View Post

I was supposed to travel to FRA this afternoon. Wonder if I should book the Eurostar instead?
Almost without a shadow of a doubt. The cloud is expected to be overhead Paris by 15:00CET. Nothing will be going anywhere for some time to come.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: